Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 11:50 AM

90 posts, read 67,456 times

Advertisements

Back to the question. In my opinion:

NYC
Dirty city with plastic trash bags everywhere on the footpaths. Horrible infrastructure ( JFK airport is a disaster, very outdated and crumbling subway). Tourist traps everywhere. No enough green spaces. It’s the richest city on the planet but doesn’t feel like it. Lots of homeless and sketchy people. Really expensive for what it is.

Barcelona
Lots of tourist traps everywhere! Las ramblas? Just a pedestrian road full of pickpockets! The Gaudi Park is so small! Locals seemed angry and rude (I do speak Spanish) the whole Catalonia independence thing ruins the vibe of the city. The city felt provincial. The food was mediocre

Copenhagen
A city with a park full of druggies in the middle of the city that advertise it as a liberal part of the town. I am talking about christania. It was such a horrible vibe. The people are not friendly, i hated that the city is like mute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 12:16 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The OP was a well known troll, and is now no longer a member,

Constructive criticism is fine, however constant attacks and trolling is not constructive.

As for being expensive, London is no more expensive than it's peers such as Paris and NYC.

It should be noted that it's cheaper to see a musical in London than New York, and there are plenty of arts subsidised by the Government Arts Council in London.

Whilst in terms of night life, it has a lot of night life to choose from, there are 7,000 pubs in London and hundreds ad hundreds of clubs, as well as 20,000 restaurants to choose from.

There are also plenty of options for a cheaper night out in London and there are also budget hotels and hostels.

Any city is what you make it, regardless of budget.

How to have a cheap night out in London - Evening Standard (2019)

Best Cheap Clubs in London - Design My Night (2021)

101 things to do at night in London - Visit London (2021)
Meh, I would just learn to live with it. London is a fine city, lot's to offer. But again, the negative reviews of it are coming from those who constantly hear it's a top 5 city in the world. If you expect a 9 or 10, and get a 5 or 6 .. thats underwhelmed, but not a bad city. Just you were expecting the sky and got the hill. Could go for any city.

Personally, I found it bland and was one of three or four cities I was actually looking for something to do. But I heard people say that about Boston and Chicago too.. which are each top 5 American cities for me. Its a to each their own.

I also wouldn't call people trolling for saying this. Because if you ever wander on city vs city, there are some pretty strongly defended opinions on some cities. People, in general, are just extremely passionate about their opinions.

But I would take most of people's underwhelming views on London as compliments. Its not like Manchester or Birmingham are beng mentioned.. at all. lol.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Meh, I would just learn to live with it. London is a fine city, lot's to offer. But again, the negative reviews of it are coming from those who constantly hear it's a top 5 city in the world. If you expect a 9 or 10, and get a 5 or 6 .. thats underwhelmed, but not a bad city. Just you were expecting the sky and got the hill. Could go for any city.

Personally, I found it bland and was one of three or four cities I was actually looking for something to do. But I heard people say that about Boston and Chicago too.. which are each top 5 American cities for me. Its a to each their own.

I also wouldn't call people trolling for saying this. Because if you ever wander on city vs city, there are some pretty strongly defended opinions on some cities. People, in general, are just extremely passionate about their opinions.

But I would take most of people's underwhelming views on London as compliments. Its not like Manchester or Birmingham are beng mentioned.. at all. lol.
Of course you can like or dislike any city you want but the problem only arises when you start giving your reasons 'why' you dislike them. How can anybody claim they have to 'look for something to do' when in London of all places! It just doesn't make sense? London has EVERYTHING, like I already asked (and nobody answered) what EXACTLY does London 'lack' that all other cities have? Unless you go to London expecting to ski or mountain climb I can't really think of anything London doesn't have?

Old 07-20-2021, 06:57 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,116,410 times
MILAN
More of a place to live and work than visit. A real letdown after visiting other Italian destinations. I don't dislike it, it is just that it is more of a living city than an experience.

LAS VEGAS
I actually hate this place. I don't like hookers, meth, gambling or magic shows.

LOS ANGELES
What exactly is LOS ANGELES? A faded movie industry...a sign in the hills...slums...drug addicts...

Old 07-20-2021, 07:03 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Honolulu,LAST TIME i WAS THERE,many years ago though,the beach is small,locals are peddling tickets or souvenirs or selling imported jewelry in hotel lobby.
Cant find anything interesting or different,unless you like SPAM.
Local eats SPAM.
Locals are not rich,they work two jobs,selling window treatment and clerk at Budget Rent a car.lunch is ramien noodles with hard boil egg and a slice of BBQ pork.
I read it is not getting any better,the government offers free one way ticket to find job in mainland,repeat one\ way ticket free ! just one way

Old 07-20-2021, 07:09 PM

910 posts, read 366,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
MILAN
More of a place to live and work than visit. A real letdown after visiting other Italian destinations. I don't dislike it, it is just that it is more of a living city than an experience.

LAS VEGAS
I actually hate this place. I don't like hookers, meth, gambling or magic shows.

LOS ANGELES
What exactly is LOS ANGELES? A faded movie industry...a sign in the hills...slums...drug addicts...
I hope more people feel the way you do about Los Angeles, because we have almost 19 million people in greater Los Angeles, so believe me we don't need anymore people.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Of course you can like or dislike any city you want but the problem only arises when you start giving your reasons 'why' you dislike them. How can anybody claim they have to 'look for something to do' when in London of all places! It just doesn't make sense? London has EVERYTHING, like I already asked (and nobody answered) what EXACTLY does London 'lack' that all other cities have? Unless you go to London expecting to ski or mountain climb I can't really think of anything London doesn't have?
Reasons were stated before by 5-6 posters. We shouldn't beat a dead horse why a good portion of visitors find London bland compared to cities like Paris or whatever.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I hope more people feel the way you do about Los Angeles, because we have almost 19 million people in greater Los Angeles, so believe me we don't need anymore people.
lol i love LA.. but like are we including like Santa Monica+Marina Del Ray+Venice Beach etc

Im envious of the people who get to wake up and walk Venice to Santa Monica Pier everyday. smh.

I wasnt impressed with LA itself, but everything around Downtown LA was awesome. The nightlife is great. I met 0 clebrities tho...

In another life I would have a condo in Marina Del Ray.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...33615204_zpid/ <- Not a bad deal
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...20389312_zpid/ <- Or This.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:40 PM

910 posts, read 366,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
lol i love LA.. but like are we including like Santa Monica+Marina Del Ray+Venice Beach etc

Im envious of the people who get to wake up and walk Venice to Santa Monica Pier everyday. smh.

I wasnt impressed with LA itself, but everything around Downtown LA was awesome. The nightlife is great. I met 0 clebrities tho...

In another life I would have a condo in Marina Del Ray.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...33615204_zpid/ <- Not a bad deal
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...20389312_zpid/ <- Or This.
I love LA to! I was being sarcastic with his stupid post. First of all every city has drug addicts. LA's movie industry isn't faded, and is doing quite well. LA is much more than the Hollywood Sign, as you said with great nightlife, and to many other things even to mention. I would not call anything in LA actual slums, yes poorer areas that are rough around the edges, but not slums. Houses sell in a couple of days here for full asking price, no matter where they are at, how many cities in the world have a real estate market like that! Now there is a homeless problem, which they are finally starting to clean up. He didn't deserve an answer like this, because he is a right wing hater, who has probably never even been to Los Angeles.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:16 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
LA for me was very impressive with regards to its land area -- It's so vast, and truly feels like a metro of close to 20 million people. There are no bucolic suburbs in the LA basin, the development is visible and sprawled. Los Angeles metro feels much larger than the New York or London metro...but as far as urban attractions, this is where LA fell short for me.

It's not that there isn't a multitude of things to do there, it's just that everything is so spread out and disconnected.

You don't have a super high concentration of things to do in a small, walkable area like you do in a place like New York or London. Furthermore, there's not a good public transportation system there. I realize that LA has made huge strides with its subway system, but still, the situation is abysmal.. LA is still a car and freeway city through and through...

So overall LA was both impressive and a disappointment for me...but I can certainly understand how some people love it, and others hate it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World