Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: During my visits to New York City, I was...
Overwhelmed 11 28.21%
Underwhelmed 11 28.21%
The city was exactly what I expected. 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The skyline is impressive. The density of the place is impressive compared to other American cities I have been to. Love taking the elevated subway.

It's a nice place to visit for a few days, wouldn't want to live there though.
Surprising I find the NYC skyline kind of boring lately. Although, of course for the final, still well qualifying. Maybe because I lived over there for too long? Other than Constanta Tuzla Romania Black Sea region 2016, 2018, 2019 living in Eastern Europe up to three occasions, and West Coast Seattle USA area in city and rural suburb exurbs in 2010, 2014/2015, and 2015/2016.

If I was from a economically poor country of Europe or something, I would never consider visiting NYC overseas. Please give me Sao Paulo Brazil, Buenos Aires Argentina, Santiago Chile, Moscow Russia in the same Continent, A Persian Gulf City, Chinese or India City, even Singapore way before ever entering New York City.

Residential grounds of NYC can actually be quite rewarding in absolute reverse of reality stereotypes. Visit New York City, and see a generous amount of low density houses relatively vast throughout Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn, even Bronx. Of the outer boroughs well within city limits. Outside of Manhattan. Quite rare for a mega city. I wonder why to be honest. Probably above 10 to 15% in Private House ownership rate.

Only some Australian, New Zealand, Canadian major cities arrive close to enough houses even higher for the people not cramped buildings sardines vulnerabilities of claustrophia. We really have to behave quite solid almost absolutely every second for our own surrounding tenants in higher density situations. Don't really have to in a house exact type of scenario.

Last edited by ; 01-06-2022 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 08:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,003 times
Compared to Los Angeles, New York beats Los Angeles in buildings every where. There is hardly any room to move around. Crowded and looks like you'll be squashed between a truck and a building. But that is the life in New York all the time. Some people find this type of fast pace living an exciting life.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:12 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
I was underwhelmed the first time I visited the city. I guess my expectations were too high.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:00 AM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Just right: love it and prefer to live in proximity to it not actually in the city itself. It's the #1 city in the US in my view.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:04 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
The scale is huge, but I was struck by how dingy so many of the buildings looked. On the whole I think I had a neutral outlook.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:17 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Surprising I find the NYC skyline kind of boring lately.
Its ruined by those new thin sticks that have been built in recent years. I have never been more disappointed at a skyline then when I saw the NYC skyline with those sticks. Other than that, it's a nice skyline. Hopefully they knock down those sticks or at least pass a city ordinance prohibiting any new ones from being built.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:33 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I remember the first time visiting NYC it was underwhelming, but not in a negative sense. What I mean is my image of it was that it was crowded, noisy, people are rude/aggressive, etc. but when I visited I found out it was nothing like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its ruined by those new thin sticks that have been built in recent years. I have never been more disappointed at a skyline then when I saw the NYC skyline with those sticks. Other than that, it's a nice skyline. Hopefully they knock down those sticks or at least pass a city ordinance prohibiting any new ones from being built.
The old Manhattan skyline of the late 20th century actually looked more uniform/singular as it's skyscrapers were more evenly spaced out like with the twin towers, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Citicorp, etc. Now with the clusters of Midtown (all those tall sticks) and Lower Manhattan (new WTC and surrounding towers), it looks more like two separate skylines with a gap in between.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:20 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Every time I we,t there was with my own car, and it's not even bad to drive there, compared to other cities.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:37 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I travel alot. I live around NYC now.

New York doesnt really do it for me. Manhattan is bland, transplants gone wild with overpriced bars and poor quality trains. I dont mind Queens or Brooklyn. Even the Bronx is pretty good.

But NYC is middle of the road to me. Im kind of over it.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:08 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I was overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time.

The sheer scale of the city was a bit much for me, and underwhelmed by its lack of charm. Frankly I have no desire to visit again. Chicago hit me much better with a more manageable scale and Midwestern food vernacular, el trains, nice lakefront...it had a bit of personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World