Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: During my visits to New York City, I was...
Overwhelmed 11 28.21%
Underwhelmed 11 28.21%
The city was exactly what I expected. 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 03:49 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Worked there for 37 years. Watched it change constantly, loved the hidden history found everywhere from its constant changes going back 400 years since Henry Hudson noted that he'd found a harbor, sheltered from the open sea where a sailor could catch a wind in any direction.

Our nation's first capital, and before that, a Dutch colony founded on commerce, not religion, and open to everyone, with a government that would later influence our Constitution.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-25-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 06:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Worked there for 37 years. Watched it change constantly, loved the hidden history found everywhere from its constant changes going back 400 years since Henry Hudson noted that he'd found a harbor, sheltered from the open sea where a sailor could catch a wind in any direction.

Our nation's first capital, and before that, a Dutch colony founded on commerce, not religion, and open to everyone, with a government that would later influence our Constitution.
Have you ever had a chopped cheese sandwich from a bodega?

Old 01-26-2022, 08:24 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I actually thought the bronx was pretty cool. Taking the train through there was cool, its like an ocean of buildings. It was more visually interesting than brooklyn or queens IMO.
Yeah the Bronx is great. Manhattan sucks.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Pretty much exactly what I expected, in most aspects, just dirtier and smellier. I know such an old city, but I thought it rained enough to wash away the smell of waste everywhere

Old 01-26-2022, 12:12 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah the Bronx is great. Manhattan sucks.
How is the Bronx better than the Upper East Side?

Old 01-26-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Less gentrification in the Bronx maybe?

Old 01-27-2022, 08:42 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Less gentrification, more down to earth individuals, better food (yeah the $23 burger from a place called “the Moo” or whatever, is not good, local cuisine, not overhyped, etc

Im seldom impressed by Manhattan.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:55 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Have you ever had a chopped cheese sandwich from a bodega?
NO! Should I try one?

Haven't been to NYC for two years since COVID hit and my part-time, post-retirement job involving going to the city for events vanished, and as you know, I'm not even in the country right now, but I'll get back there eventually.

I used to spend some time in Inwood, the northernmost part of Manhattan adjacent to the Bronx. It was an old Irish neighborhood into which many Dominicans were moving, so there was an interesting mix of pubs and bodegas.

And, of course, Inwood Hill Park, the last remaining natural part of Manhattan Island. Haven't been for a long time.

Midtown Manhattan is boring. I spent most of my working life downtown except for having to spend sometime in the Flatiron district after our offices were destroyed, but I went back to work on the rebuilding and eventually back to work in the rebuilt offices before I retired.

Saw downtown change. There were virtually no residential buildings in the Wall Street area when I started working at the WTC in 1981. What's now Battery Park City was flat dirt, landfill from the original WTC excavation. BPC and that beautiful park system running up along the Hudson appeared in stages over time. Tribeca was a bunch of abandoned warehouses. Lower Manhattan at night was dead.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NO! Should I try one?
Everyone raves about them online. I want to try one just to see what all the hype is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Less gentrification, more down to earth individuals, better food (yeah the $23 burger from a place called “the Moo” or whatever, is not good, local cuisine, not overhyped, etc

Im seldom impressed by Manhattan.
Hey thats cool that you like the Bronx. I am usually reluctant to talk about it, most people trash the place. I am aware of it's problems but I like it for the same reasons you mentioned.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:59 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Pretty much exactly what I expected, in most aspects, just dirtier and smellier. I know such an old city, but I thought it rained enough to wash away the smell of waste everywhere
I was also surprised how dirty it was last time I was there. For all of the millionaires and billionaires living there, you think someone would’ve demanded a solution to all of the garbage and the decrepit state of the sidewalks. I love NYC, but they really need to figure out how to make the city less dirty and improve the infrastructure.

Cities like DC and Chicago are spotless compared to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World