Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 10:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 11,998,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
easthome when I went to high school the girls played soccer, and the boys played real football. Yes there were boys soccer teams, but they were looked at as the weak sissy boys, who were unable to play a real man's game. I remember I tried out for the football team, well my first practice I got hit so hard, I was dizzy for the rest of the day. I quickly determined it was not for me. Believe me the football players got all the best looking cheerleaders, not the soccer players!
When I was at school we played rugby, now there is a real mans game, you don't compete wearing body armour, not even English rugby playing girls!! I doubt you would be able to handle rugby if you haven't grown up with it. Its footballers and rugby players that get the good looking women on all of this planet (except the US)......and by that I mean real women not 16 year olds!

Old 12-08-2021, 11:00 AM

368 posts, read 212,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
American football..........dynamic!!! lol . They literally do nothing for 90% of the game time and I mean literally nothing! How on earth can you call that 'dynamic'? It is probably safe to say it is the worst sport of the lot, closely followed by baseball and then cricket, though at least baseball and cricket have gained footholds in other parts of the world (particularly cricket). There is a reason why despite having billions of pounds chucked at promoting it (more than all other sports) American football fails to make any inroads anywhere on the planet other than the USA!
It's completely obvious you've never stepped onto a football field (whereas I played soccer for 4-5 years).

Like many/most high school players, I played on both sides of the ball (defensive end and center/fullback) and was in very good condition, yet was gassed much of the game. It's very strenuous and tiring. Have you ever heard of no-huddle offense? Even without that, you typically get 5-6 seconds actual break in the huddle, max. The rest of the time you are going hard, fighting at 100.0% every play with heavy pads/helmet on, not jogging/walking around in shorts and a t-shirt 200 feet away from the ball.

That's false it hasn't made any inroads. It's popular in Mexico and parts of Europe. I lived in Germany and briefly played on a city team there and there was a large, multi-level national league. The main reason it likely hasn't gained full traction is because American athletes are bigger than in most countries and better at it. There are many more athletes into strength training. Most Latin Americans and almost all Asians are too small. It would look pretty bad on TV in comparison to American football, probably even in comparison to low-level college football and even to good US high-school teams in some cases, and there would be zero prospect of international competition anytime soon, if ever. The other reason is that in most of the world there is no high school/college infrastructure like the US has, few/no coaches with knowledge, no producers of pads/equipment. Has nothing to do with the merits of the sport.

Again, there's no argument that soccer is far more accessible than just about any major sport, and that is the reason for its traction, not because it's the best. Basketball is also accessible regardless of athletic infrastructure and socioeconomics, and that's the reason for its relative traction.

Last edited by pclem; 12-08-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-08-2021, 11:45 AM

910 posts, read 365,868 times
Quote:
When I was at school we played rugby, now there is a real mans game, you don't compete wearing body armour, not even English rugby playing girls!! I doubt you would be able to handle rugby if you haven't grown up with it. Its footballers and rugby players that get the good looking women on all of this planet (except the US)......and by that I mean real women not 16 year olds!
Yes Rugby is a tougher game than soccer, but most of those Rugby players are not big or strong enough to play in the NFL.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
It's completely obvious you've never stepped onto a football field (whereas I played soccer for 4-5 years).

Like many/most high school players, I played on both sides of the ball (defensive end and center/fullback) and was in very good condition, yet was gassed much of the game. It's very strenuous and tiring. Have you ever heard of no-huddle offense? Even without that, you typically get 5-6 seconds actual break in the huddle, max. The rest of the time you are going hard, fighting at 100.0% every play with heavy pads/helmet on, not jogging/walking around in shorts and a t-shirt 200 feet away from the ball.

That's false it hasn't made any inroads. It's popular in Mexico and parts of Europe. I lived in Germany and briefly played on a city team there and there was a large, multi-level national league. The main reason it likely hasn't gained full traction is because American athletes are bigger than in most countries and better at it. There are many more athletes into strength training. Most Latin Americans and almost all Asians are too small. It would look pretty bad on TV in comparison to American football, probably even in comparison to low-level college football and even to good US high-school teams in some cases, and there would be zero prospect of international competition anytime soon, if ever. The other reason is that in most of the world there is no high school/college infrastructure like the US has, few/no coaches with knowledge, no producers of pads/equipment. Has nothing to do with the merits of the sport.

Again, there's no argument that soccer is far more accessible than just about any major sport, and that is the reason for its traction, not because it's the best. Basketball is also accessible regardless of athletic infrastructure and socioeconomics, and that's the reason for its relative traction.
Excellent post! You played both soccer, and football so have you have a great perspective about the comparison. You realize that many of those soccer players are just casually jogging/walking around some of the game, when they are far from the ball. Unlike American Football, where you go all out, on every play. Most countries don't have the athletes to play American Football, on an American quality level. He doesn't realize the tremendous collision, and impact on every play. I am 71, and a decent size guy, I tried to play high school football, I could not make it through practice without feeling dizzy, and nauseous after being hit. Back then the coaches really didn't care about your health so much. He seems to think the pads, and helmet somehow give you all this protection. He should try getting hit with a helmet to the stomach or back. I quit, and decided to concentrate on baseball!

Last edited by vindag; 12-08-2021 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 02:09 PM

529 posts, read 555,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Excellent post! You played both soccer, and football so have you have a great perspective about the comparison. You realize that many of those soccer players are just casually jogging/walking around some of the game, when they are far from the ball. Unlike American Football, where you go all out, on every play. Most countries don't have the athletes to play American Football, on an American quality level
Hahahahaha
You are a talented comedian

Old 12-08-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Hahahahaha
You are a talented comedian
You are absolutely a comedian, not even talented, and never really say a bunch of anything that seriously adds to the discussion.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post

They're certainly 'bigger'.........around the gut anyway! I think you'll find the Dutch are the biggest people though. I've never met a European who likes American football but we keep being told there are some! Seriously we've had people trying to ram the sport down our throats for decades but Europeans simply don't want to know - apparently there was once even a European league of some sort. When there are scantily clad teenage girls prancing around to try and garner interest and the biggest part of any sporting event is the 'half time show' then you know its not good.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:31 PM

103 posts, read 33,342 times
Quote:
You're right facts are facts - The Premier League is the worlds most popular league, the English football pyramid also attracts the most live spectators, there have been FIVE different English European Champions, no other league can boast that, also despite having played in the Champions League over less seasons that 'other' European countries English clubs have won 14 times, as for your comment on 'entertaining football' again I remind you that the English league IS the worlds league of choice, TV companies pay more money to show the English league because it is the league that attracts (by far) the most eyeballs on the planet, also taking arguments about 'the best' aside no other league has such a multitude of historical clubs as England, it is the birthplace of the game after all.
few clubs attract eye balls. big teams ok but arsenal southapton got 93k in usa and around the world is the same. nobody would pay 440 million for epl only in usa they would do that. more and more serie a is gaining ground and mexico has more eyeballs then epl in american. in s america it is la liga/serie a more then epl. asia middle east serie a i would think(they are paying 200 million for serie a super cup) then china is equal amongst leagues

Old 12-08-2021, 03:37 PM

103 posts, read 33,342 times
Quote:
They're certainly 'bigger'.........around the gut anyway! I think you'll find the Dutch are the biggest people though. I've never met a European who likes American football but we keep being told there are some! Seriously we've had people trying to ram the sport down our throats for decades but Europeans simply don't want to know - apparently there was once even a European league of some sort. When there are scantily clad teenage girls prancing around to try and garner interest and the biggest part of any sporting event is the 'half time show' then you know its not good.
nfl is for steroid junkies. just few decades ago the game was so fast in their standards but now do to steroid like baseball in 90-00s is slow and boring even more. i mean their fastest guy loose to semi pro soccer player and level d sprinters lol

Old 12-08-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzedmraz View Post
few clubs attract eye balls. big teams ok but arsenal southapton got 93k in usa and around the world is the same. nobody would pay 440 million for epl only in usa they would do that. more and more serie a is gaining ground and mexico has more eyeballs then epl in american. in s america it is la liga/serie a more then epl. asia middle east serie a i would think(they are paying 200 million for serie a super cup) then china is equal amongst leagues
English football gets more money from the TV companies in ALL the continents! Asia is MAD on English football, so is Africa, English football is the most popular football in the North American continent too! The fact is English football is watched by more eyeballs in the world than the whole of the rest of the football leagues put together! That's why it gets far more TV money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World