Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 05:58 PM

910 posts, read 367,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The ONLY way to gauge which game is 'more boring' is by looking at a sports popularity no? Unfortunately for you the fact that football (soccer) os immesurably more popular than Gridiron only goes to show which sport is considered the 'most boring' no?
I disagree with your theory. We have so many other sports in the USA to compare soccer to, that's why most Americans are not soccer fans. Lets pretend we didn't have all these other great sports, like most countries, well we would find soccer outstanding, and follow it. What I'm saying is those other countries don't know any better.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:39 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
These so called fans of Barcelona or Chelsea around the world, which the overwhelmingly most of them will never go to a match at Stamford Bridge or Camp Nou. What makes them fans, because they say I like Barcelona or Chelsea? You see what I'm getting at, it doesn't mean anything. Look at Lionel Messi who has left Barcelona, will his "fans" start cheering for PSG now?
No, they will not, did you look at those videos I posted showing the celebrations around the world when Chelsea won the Champions League? These people in Africa will never get the chance to go to a game but you can't deny their passion!

Here are some Chelsea fans in Malaysia:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRGD38SjFI

These guys are literally the other side of the world to Stamford Bridge, most will probably never get within 5000 miles of the place be honest though, you can't deny the passion they have for the club can you!?

Old 08-12-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
No, they will not, did you look at those videos I posted showing the celebrations around the world when Chelsea won the Champions League? These people in Africa will never get the chance to go to a game but you can't deny their passion!

Here are some Chelsea fans in Malaysia:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRGD38SjFI

These guys are literally the other side of the world to Stamford Bridge, most will probably never get within 5000 miles of the place be honest though, you can't deny the passion they have for the club can you!?
That is great that they love Chelsea, but you still are missing the whole point of this thread. Why is soccer so popular outside America? Several posters explained to you why that is the case. In America the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA Basketball & Football are always going to be more popular than the MLS or soccer in general. Millions of American boys and girls play soccer in their youth, but when they get older, they are much more likely fans of those other sports, before watching a soccer game on TV. Most of the world doesn't have the collection of incredible sports leagues like America does, soccer is basically the only game in town. Another example would be Australia which has the AFL and NRL (highest revenue rugby league in the world), soccer is not the main game in Australia. Can you at least acknowledge that where there is major competition to soccer, it is not always the most popular game?

Old 08-12-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That is great that they love Chelsea, but you still are missing the whole point of this thread. Why is soccer so popular outside America? Several posters explained to you why that is the case. In America the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA Basketball & Football are always going to be more popular than the MLS or soccer in general. Millions of American boys and girls play soccer in their youth, but when they get older, they are much more likely fans of those other sports, before watching a soccer game on TV. Most of the world doesn't have the collection of incredible sports leagues like America does, soccer is basically the only game in town. Another example would be Australia which has the AFL and NRL (highest revenue rugby league in the world), soccer is not the main game in Australia. Can you at least acknowledge that where there is major competition to soccer, it is not always the most popular game?
Yes but the reasons given are laughable! To suggest that 'other' sports aren't played or available in 'other' countries is complete and utter nonsense!! Kids in 'other' countries can play basketball or baseball or rugby if they want to............they just prefer football (soccer) simply because they find it a better, more entertaining game! Watching Americans and Australians trying to claim otherwise is hilarious! Simply put people in this world 'choose' football (soccer), don't you think the English (for one example) don't get to play 'other' sports!? Personally myself at my school I played football (soccer), rugby, cricket, basketball and field hockey, (also in the summer months some track and field) of course I preferred football (soccer)! For your information just because football (soccer) is the greatest sporting passion of my life it doesn't mean I don't also enjoy a bit of rugby (union more than league) and cricket too.

Oh and also in this country as little kids (primary school age) we sometimes played 'rounders' which I believe is a bit like baseball?

The girls (when I was a boy) played stall ball (again a bit like rounders), field hockey and netball.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yes but the reasons given are laughable! To suggest that 'other' sports aren't played or available in 'other' countries is complete and utter nonsense!! Kids in 'other' countries can play basketball or baseball or rugby if they want to............they just prefer football (soccer) simply because they find it a better, more entertaining game! Watching Americans and Australians trying to claim otherwise is hilarious! Simply put people in this world 'choose' football (soccer), don't you think the English (for one example) don't get to play 'other' sports!? Personally myself at my school I played football (soccer), rugby, cricket, basketball and field hockey, (also in the summer months some track and field) of course I preferred football (soccer)! For your information just because football (soccer) is the greatest sporting passion of my life it doesn't mean I don't also enjoy a bit of rugby (union more than league) and cricket too.

Oh and also in this country as little kids (primary school age) we sometimes played 'rounders' which I believe is a bit like baseball?

The girls (when I was a boy) played stall ball (again a bit like rounders), field hockey and netball.
easthome, God bless you, because you are one of my favorite posters. I am a bar room brawler, and love a good argument, and fight! I am 70 years old, and have a 100% Italian ethnicity, but grew up in an predominantly Irish neighborhood in Philly. I am used to a good fight! You gravitated to football (soccer), because you probably sucked bum at all those other sports!

Old 08-12-2021, 03:17 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
The Internet tough guy strikes again. This time in the form of a senior citizen

Old 08-12-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The Internet tough guy strikes again. This time in the form of a senior citizen
You are one sick human being! That is all you got to offer to this conversation?

Last edited by vindag; 08-12-2021 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-12-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
easthome, God bless you, because you are one of my favorite posters. I am a bar room brawler, and love a good argument, and fight! I am 70 years old, and have a 100% Italian ethnicity, but grew up in an predominantly Irish neighborhood in Philly. I am used to a good fight! You gravitated to football (soccer), because you probably sucked bum at all those other sports!
Actually I did not! I played for my school in football, rugby, cricket, basketball, ran the 1500 metres and done the triple jump in athletics. The fact is people on the planet 'gravitate' to football (soccer) because it's their sport of choice. All this 'its the only option for them' is obviously complete bollox, there are many sports in this world, you just have to accept that football (soccer) is the most loved.

PS you are NOT Italian

Old 08-12-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Actually I did not! I played for my school in football, rugby, cricket, basketball, ran the 1500 metres and done the triple jump in athletics. The fact is people on the planet 'gravitate' to football (soccer) because it's their sport of choice. All this 'its the only option for them' is obviously complete bollox, there are many sports in this world, you just have to accept that football (soccer) is the most loved.

PS you are NOT Italian
I never said I was Italian. I said I was of Italian descent. All 4 of my grandparents were born in Canada, but my 4 great grandparents were born in Italy. I certainly wanted Italy to defeat England, because of that. I also defended Italy against your slanderous garbage, that all Italian soccer players are actors when it comes to taking a dive. The world saw English players constantly taking dives the entire UEFA Euro 2020. I also look as they say, Southern Italian, so growing up in a predominantly Philly Irish neighborhood, I certainly heard a lot of ethnic slurs thrown my way. You should be ashamed of yourself, because that is like me telling you that you don't have a black wife or kids.

Last edited by vindag; 08-12-2021 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-12-2021, 08:02 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Yes but the reasons given are laughable! To suggest that 'other' sports aren't played or available in 'other' countries is complete and utter nonsense!! Kids in 'other' countries can play basketball or baseball or rugby if they want to............they just prefer football (soccer) simply because they find it a better, more entertaining game!
We all know that is not the reason. It is simply what they grow up with and is handed down to them by their parents. Sport is tribal. If I was dealt the unfortunate hand of being born in a country where Soccer is king and all my mates played Soccer, I probably would have played soccer. Heaven forbid I was born in the Australian States of Victoria or South Australia I probably would have played the embarrassing "Australian" Football code (the predominant code in less than half the country by population).

And that is the only prospect for growth of Soccer in places like Australia and the US. More kids are playing it because of perceptions around safety primarily from the parents compared to the more physical football codes, and low barriers to entry (skill, simplicity, equipment) secondarily. It has long been available to anyone here, yet languishes in popularity (not junior participation, but actual popularity) for the reasons I mention above...Incumbency/culture.

The hope of Soccer associations here is to ingrain it in the children and hope for generational transfer, because immigration alone has not done the job that they were banking on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World