Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 08:20 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Rugby players very rarely absorb impacts of the same energy that occur in gridiron. The concussive trauma we see in ex-NFL players is simply not present in rugby players even at the highest level.
This is getting ridiculous
You are going to compare Rugby (no protection) to football (helmet, pads, etc, etc)?

That's like saying that driving a car is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle

Old 07-25-2021, 08:37 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are going to compare Rugby (no protection) to football (helmet, pads, etc, etc)?

That's like saying that driving a car is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle
I think that it is more like a car driver will put his vehicle in a more dangerous position because of the safety features of the car. Like an American football player because of his shoulder pads and helmet will throw his shoulders, the head is now outlawed, into more dangerous positions of his armor
. And the danger is both to the hitter and the opposing player who receives hits from a player with protected shoulders.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think that it is more like a car driver will put his vehicle in a more dangerous position because of the safety features of the car. Like an American football player because of his shoulder pads and helmet will throw his shoulders, the head is now outlawed, into more dangerous positions of his armor
. And the danger is both to the hitter and the opposing player who receives hits from a player with protected shoulders.
There's a reason they were helmets and pads = to keep them safe
You don't have that luxury in most sports
Even cheerleaders don't wear helmets

Old 07-25-2021, 09:08 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
How likely is it I'll hit a baseball thrown by a professional pitcher?
My guess ... I'll hit 1 out of 20 (at some point I'm going to guess right)

If you try kicking free kicks from 30 yards/meters with a wall and a professional goalie
How likely do you think it would be for an average person to score a goal?
I know for a fact that is not going to be 1 out of 20.

Just look at the gif below .... perfect free kick and the goalie still, almost got it.
Your scenarios are not equivalent.

Making bat contact with a ball thrown by a professional pitcher might be compared to kicking the ball straight to the goal where the goalie blocks it.

Hitting a home run could be compared to actually scoring a goal.

I believe the average person could bat against a professional pitcher for a long, long time without getting a home run. Or even a base hit. Possibly forever.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM

910 posts, read 367,209 times
Quote:

The hitting in NFL football is far more harder than anything in rugby, that is just a fact.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:47 AM

89 posts, read 49,209 times
Quote:
The hitting in NFL football is far more harder than anything in rugby, that is just a fact.
in what way for god sake. nfl guy hit harder maybe then rugby because he has armor to protect him from getting hurt that is why they mostly hit with helmet and not other parts of body

Old 07-25-2021, 10:33 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
How likely is it I'll hit a baseball thrown by a professional pitcher?
My guess ... I'll hit 1 out of 20 (at some point I'm going to guess right)
More like you'd make contact with 1 out of 20 -- if you were having a really good day. Very few of those would actually be in play, and on very few of THOSE would you safely reach base with all other runners (if any) also advancing safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Rugby is an even more physical sport, and relies heavily on strength and speed coupled with agility and durability, and Rugby is not an easy game to play, and can result in nasty injuries. However unlike the NFL Rugby players don't wear all that padding.
Top American football players are also much bigger, much quicker, and hit much harder -- the latter enabled by all that padding that doesn't offer as much protection as you might imagine. They protect the player doing the playing a lot more than the player being hit. Even your top rugby players would get creamed on an NFL pitch because the physique that suits rugby isn't well-suited for American football, except maybe as tight ends if they have really good speed.

Also, fast bowlers in cricket almost never hit 100mph. Mid-90s is more standard with the best ones in the upper 90s..

Old 07-25-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkamies View Post
in what way for god sake. nfl guy hit harder maybe then rugby because he has armor to protect him from getting hurt that is why they mostly hit with helmet and not other parts of body
NFL players are bigger, faster and stronger than rugby players. You really need to get a helmet to the knee or your back, from a 300 pounder running at full speed towards you, than maybe your thinking would change. Maybe you would also look at that helmet as a weapon, as much as head protection.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkamies View Post
so sick and tired of this argument any sport can be played at low cost but difference is football soccer is exiting sport and that is why people play and nba nfl mlb are just boring and that is why nobody cares about it. ball cost the same nfl ball, basketball can play with soccer ball basebal, can be played with tennis ball and on and on. only sports where you need a facility is tennis racket and hockey ice so this b.s. soccer is popular because it is cheap does not hold water
What a ridiculous statement that nobody cares about the mighty NFL! Of the top 50 most valuable sports teams in the world, all 32 NFL teams make the list. No other sports league in the world is even close. Most other sports leagues have a few of their top teams on the list. The NFL is by far the richest sports league in the world.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
What a ridiculous statement that nobody cares about the mighty NFL! Of the top 50 most valuable sports teams in the world, all 32 NFL teams make the list. No other sports league in the world is even close. Most other sports leagues have a few of their top teams on the list. The NFL is by far the richest sports league in the world.
If the World Cup makes more money than NFL, does that mean that is better?
Or you are just going to jump around using the facts that you find convenient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World