Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the decision to remove Liverpool from the World's Heritage Site list?
Yes, I agree completely. 2 66.67%
No, they should had removed just one aspect of Liverpool instead of the entire historic city. 0 0%
I don't agree at all. 1 33.33%
I don't know what to think of it. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 AM

27,486 posts, read 13,708,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The city of Liverpool has the right to make it better for its place, in terms of job opportunities, infrastructure, etc.

UNESCO has the right to remove Liverpool from its list.

I'm not sure about the significance of being an UNESCO site these days. It seems to me a lot of not so exciting places made their list recently.

True - however I don't understand, why the decision was made following a secret ballot by the Unesco committee at a meeting in China or why the Head of UNESCO's heritage body is UN's heritage body committee Tian Xuejun from China , a country with a terrible human rights record, and which has built skyscrapers right across it's cities, yet punishes other cities for far more moderate developments.

The US even stopped funding UNESCO under Trump, and it seems that like the UN World Health Organisation, it is now subject to a lot of Chinese influence.

This also comes at a time when China has threatened Britain repeatedly over staying out of Hong Kong, any Covid Investigation, over Huawei and more recently in relation to Royal Navy ships sailing in the South China Sea.

Whilst the UN cosy's up to China, the Chinese continue to bully and make threats to any country they disagree with.

Liverpool stripped of Unesco World Heritage status - BBC News (July 2021)

China's Xi Jinping issues 'bloodshed' warning to foreign powers at Communist Party centenary event - Sky News (July 2021)

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-25-2021 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 07:52 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,728,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

True - however I don't understand, why the decision was made following a secret ballot by the Unesco committee at a meeting in China or why the Head of UNESCO's heritage body is UN's heritage body committee Tian Xuejun from China , a country with a terrible human rights record, and which has built skyscrapers right across it's cities, yet punishes other cities for far more moderate developments.

Liverpool stripped of Unesco World Heritage status - BBC News

Unless the skyscrapers were built directly on an UNESCO site, I don't see any problem.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Unless the skyscrapers were built directly on an UNESCO site, I don't see any problem.
The buildings in Liverpool were just built on waste land, indeed there is nothing at Bramley-Moore Docks.

Whilst I don't give a toss about the UNESCO World Heritage body or it's awards, it does point to the increasing influence of China. in terms of UN organisations, and this is being seen in the WHO and UNESCO.

Which is the same Chinese Government that keeps threatening the UK and West, as pointed out in my previous posts.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:14 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,728,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The buildings in Liverpool were just built on waste land, indeed there is nothing at Bramley-Moore Docks.

Whilst I don't give a toss about the UNESCO World Heritage body or it's awards, it does point to the increasing influence of China. in terms of UN organisations, and this is being seen in the WHO and UNESCO.

Which is the same Chinese Government that keeps threatening the UK and West, as pointed out in my previous posts.

Threatening UK with removing an UNESCO listing? lol.

I would threat with something that actually hurts.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:14 PM

169 posts, read 131,446 times
I actually believe China bribed the Olympic comitee to get the winter Olympic games in 2022 in effin' Beijing.

I'd boycott everything made in China from now on, my computers and phones made in Taiwan are 100 times better made anyway than the crap produced in the PRC. Too bad the US will not boycott the way they boycotted the Moscow games in the 80s. China now is just like the USSR, but even worse as they buy out Western companies which produce things there anyway. Why not produce the same things in Latin America, Africa and cheap European places like Armenia, Georgia or Moldova instead of China?

Old 07-25-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Threatening UK with removing an UNESCO listing? lol.

I would threat with something that actually hurts.

As already stated they were threatening the UK over issues such as Hong Kong, any Covid Investigation, over Huawei and more recently in relation to Royal Navy ships sailing in the South China Sea.

They have also threatened other western countries and the US.

As already stated this raises questions regarding Chinese influence in relation to the UN and organisations such as the WHO and UNESCO.

That was the point I was raising and I never stated that China threatened the UK through UNESCO, just that as a fairly undemocratic and corrupt nation, that often issues threats and has a poor human tights record, should they really be allowed so much influence in relation to United Nations organisations.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,526,811 times
Is there any real significance to being included in Unesco’s list?

Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,390,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Is there any real significance to being included in Unesco’s list?
* The heritage label gives historic sites access to UN conservation funding as well as featuring in tourist guidebooks across the world.

* The World Heritage Fund amounts to 5.6 million dollars for the biennium 2020-2021, plus 0.4 million dollars for Emergency assistance as defined in article 21.2 of the World Heritage Convention.
https://whc.unesco.org/en/world-heritage-fund/

Old 07-25-2021, 07:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,490,464 times
And I thought this was about Penny Lane! The docks are pretty obscure in comparison.

Center City Philadelphia was inducted several years ago, despite most of the Colonial-era city being razed in the 19th century. Visiting the area around Independence Hall is more reminiscent of touring the Roman Forum, but was still acceptable to the accrediting organization.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:18 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,390,825 times
OP, there are 52 properties in danger of being delisted from World Heritage.

The threat of being delisted by UNESCO was hung over Liverpool since 2012 after the body warned that plans for flats and offices would destroy the city’s skyline.
* at the World Heritage Committee's 36th session (Saint Petersburg, 24 June - 6 July 2012)
World Heritage Committee placed Liverpool on List of World Heritage in Danger
* at the World Heritage Committee's 44th session (Fuzhou, China, 16-31 July 2021)
World Heritage Committee delisted Liverpool
https://whc.unesco.org/en/danger/

The final webinar in the WHIPIC's 2021 Heritage Interpretation Series.
streamed live on Jul 17, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWGK6IIbFl4

which part do you want to keep?
Liverpool – Maritime Mercantile City
https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/...slavery/europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World