Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2021, 07:48 PM
 
25 posts, read 16,851 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
Why do Americans care so much about skin color and ancestries?

It sounds like Americans have a perpetual identity crisis.

Plus, what is this American obsession with trying to make Europe = USA when it comes to race.

Does it ever dawn on Americans that Europe has its own diversity, its own way of doing things?
It seems to me like this is a gaslighting insistence.

Europe isn’t racially diverse, yet Europeans love to comment and pass judgement on Americans, saying “Americans are racist”, while refusing to acknowledge Americans are a much more racially diverse group of people than “Europeans” are. Europeans are one racial group in the US, and they’re much more mixed than Europeans in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2021, 07:50 PM
 
25 posts, read 16,851 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Have you ever lived in the U.S. for any length of time? Have you lived in any of its crime-ridden cities? Would you like to spend some time in Baltimore, St. Louis, or Chicago?

The U.S. isn't trying to make "Europe = USA" when it comes to race.

Which diversity are you referring to in Europe? Native European diversity, which is considerable, or imported diversity, which is crammed down the throats of Swedish, French, German, and UK native Europeans?

What's keeping you from your "underrated paradise" of Mozambique?
Neither Baltimore, St. Louis, or Chicago are bad cities.

Chicago is nowhere near the crime ridden hellhole you say and it receives tourism and other attention from all over the world. I live in Chicago. Loads of rich people and middle class people live in all the cities you named, and America’s bottom 20%, middle 20%, and upper 20% socioeconomic classes are all wealthier than the equivalent classes in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 08:01 PM
 
Location: USA
1,719 posts, read 731,191 times
Reputation: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveitup View Post
Neither Baltimore, St. Louis, or Chicago are bad cities.

Chicago is nowhere near the crime ridden hellhole you say and it receives tourism and other attention from all over the world. I live in Chicago. Loads of rich people and middle class people live in all the cities you named, and America’s bottom 20%, middle 20%, and upper 20% socioeconomic classes are all wealthier than the equivalent classes in Europe.
Okay. I prefer to go by crime statistics.

(BTW, I didn't describe these cities as "bad" or "hellhole." But you did.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 08:24 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Reputation: 25153
It is true that the United States is racially and ethnically diverse and that brings a lot of variety in the society.

At the same time, having a society like this causes caste-like minorities to form. And that often leads to political tensions and unrest.

So, it is a double-edged sword. Look at what's happening in South Africa for another example of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 08:51 PM
 
2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Reputation: 2490
Europeans seem noticably more racist at least from ones you meet online. That's anecdotal and generalization but still a pattern I've noticed. I've seen a lot of Euro bros not even think twice about saying something Americans would all generally recognize as a racist joke or comment. Most of the American racists who would say the same kind of things at least realize what they're doing.

There is also a way bigger far-right movement in Europe than anywhere I've seen in the US. Particularly in southern Europe. As an American it's really surreal to be chatting with some normal-seeming locals at a bar in Athens then suddenly you find out they are card-carrying neo Nazis.... That's never happened to me in the states and can't even imagine it happening unless you were really searching for those types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 10:00 PM
 
66 posts, read 42,945 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveitup View Post
It seems to me like this is a gaslighting insistence.

Europe isn’t racially diverse, yet Europeans love to comment and pass judgement on Americans, saying “Americans are racist”, while refusing to acknowledge Americans are a much more racially diverse group of people than “Europeans” are. Europeans are one racial group in the US, and they’re much more mixed than Europeans in Europe.
The US is not that diverse. Other than some big cities with diverse cultures like NYC or Miami, the vast majority of the US is homogeneous.

In Europe you drive two hours and you are in a completely different culture, country, with a different ethnicity, religion, way of life, architecture, history.

In the USA you can drive for days and everyone will always be American. (black or white or Mexican-American, Americans are all the same generally when it comes to culture)

Last edited by diwlari; 07-27-2021 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 10:11 PM
 
66 posts, read 42,945 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is true that the United States is racially and ethnically diverse and that brings a lot of variety in the society.

At the same time, having a society like this causes caste-like minorities to form. And that often leads to political tensions and unrest.

So, it is a double-edged sword. Look at what's happening in South Africa for another example of this.
Ive been to the USA and I didnt find it diverse. I remember driving from Miami to NYC. Everything looked the same, food is the same, restaurants are the same, people speak one language, dress alike, have the same mentality.

You cannot even tell you changed states because they are all virtually alike in their appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 PM
 
66 posts, read 42,945 times
Reputation: 43
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...iversity_level

I am right. The Us is like 58 amongst 194 countries in diversity.

Not diverse at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Reputation: 25153
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
Ive been to the USA and I didnt find it diverse. I remember driving from Miami to NYC. Everything looked the same, food is the same, restaurants are the same, people speak one language, dress alike, have the same mentality.
Visit Queens in New York City. There are large populations of Columbians, Chinese, Indians, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Russians, ...

It's one of the most diverse places anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 PM
 
66 posts, read 42,945 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Visit Queens in New York City. There are large populations of Columbians, Chinese, Indians, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Russians, ...

It's one of the most diverse places anywhere.
Queens is a neighborhood
outside of it its not diverse at all

I mean, white, black, and American latinos all behave the same, speak same language, share same culture.

You can drive from coast to coast and its all the same.

In europe I have germanic culture an hour north from here, with their ownfood, way of life, language I cannot speak, protestantism.

South of me itss latin,french, catholicism, other foods, ways of life.

East of me I have the UK, with english, their culture etc.

London is the most diversecity on the earth

you dont have that diversity in the US

in the US everything is the same wherever you go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top