Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 04:17 PM

910 posts, read 367,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I agree, and personally prefer to look at the positives in that both countries have produced fantastic music scenes rather than get bogged down in some kind of petty argument over what and whom influenced who and when.

As for 60's band, Free, with Alriight Now, was one I forgot to mention, however like you I like bands from both sides of the Atlantic as well as across the world.
I think a British singer that often gets overlooked is the great Joe Cocker. I saw him many years ago at Madison Square Garden in NYC, and even after all those years, the hair still stands on the back of my head when I think of him. When he sang "She came in through the bathroom window" and "Little help from my friends", just very few people gave everything they had on stage like Joe and sang with such bluesy emotion. Indeed, a very unique voice, and person.

Last edited by vindag; 12-05-2021 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 10:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Because, it is now considered “cool” to be “mixed race” or claim to have Afro heritage. It’s in vogue. Same reason why the 2020 U.S. Census reported there was a 273% increase in people claiming to be mixed race, like all of a sudden.
Yes, it's in vogue. Just another fad.

I've got to laugh. There's my lovely mestizo neighbor, who bleaches her hair into straw, wears blue contacts, and lightens her skin. Then there's my anglo neighbor, who tightly perms her stick-straight hair and constantly tops off her fake tan to achieve more color. Neither woman is satisfied with herself.

And there's the neighbor on the corner who recently augmented her natural 300ccs for more up top ... but that's another story.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:10 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Whilst I wouldn't ever say US music was sterile or conservative, nor would I say it was more hard edged than UK music.

The UK had well known 60's bands such as The Rolling Stones , Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, T-Rex, Cream (Eric Clapton), Led Zeppelin etc as well as later bands such as Motorhead, Queen, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard etc.

Also during the 60's you had the establishment of the Mod movement, which was linked to bands such as The Who The Kinks, The Small Faces etc as well as later bands such as The Jam.

Then you had the influence of Jamaican Ska which was popular in terms of the skinhead movement and influenced the later British punk scene (Sex Pistols, Clash etc) and bands such as Madness.

As for progressive rock, you might have had The Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan, The Doors, The Stooges, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Alice Cooper etc

However the UK had the likes of the Donovan, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Ziggy Stardust (Bowie), King Crimson, Yes, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Max, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc etc.

British music has been influenced by numerous sources just as American music have been, and many British groups developed unique ground breaking sounds, so to pretend that British music owes everything to the US is pure nonsense.

TBF both countries had very good music scenes, which often resulted in unique ground breaking singles and albums.

Furthermore the advent of new technology and new recording methods also led to new sounds and new styles of music that in turn led to new influences.
I saw Pink Floyd as a young man at Wembley Stadium (late 80's / early 90's I think), to this day I've never quite seen such a spectacular concert, it was absolutely fantastic.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:55 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But what about blond Italians? Are we to believe that in the US they're not/weren't considered white!
Of course, those people who contend that anything south of Rome was "part of Africa" were not speaking from any educated point of view, more like someone who coming from a rich neighborhood claiming they are better than "someone from the other side of the tracks," so to speak. Of course their are blonde Italians, with light skin, and from southern Italy. I can remember hearing Italians making negative remarks of Italians from Sicily, as opposed to someone from a northern region, similar.

Old 12-07-2021, 12:10 PM

910 posts, read 367,504 times
Quote:
Of course, those people who contend that anything south of Rome was "part of Africa" were not speaking from any educated point of view, more like someone who coming from a rich neighborhood claiming they are better than "someone from the other side of the tracks," so to speak. Of course their are blonde Italians, with light skin, and from southern Italy. I can remember hearing Italians making negative remarks of Italians from Sicily, as opposed to someone from a northern region, similar.
Yes indeed, there are lots of ignorant people. I grew up in Pennsylvania and am 71 years old. When I was in the 6th grade my teacher said that people from Southern Italy were really not White or Caucasian. My father's ancestors were from Calabria, and Mothers from Bari, on the Adriatic Sea. Most of my class was from Northern European ancestry, so some of them looked at me, and had a good laugh, oh so you're a n word. Well, I went home, and told my Mother, (who had light skin, blue eyes, blonde hair) she was livid. She grabbed me and we went to the school to confront my teacher. My mother, with her Italian temper, got up in her face, and literally chewed her a brand-new ass! She said, "do I look black, you stupid ignoramus" The teacher quickly apologized to me, and my mother. God rest her soul; my mom was a fighter!

Old 02-04-2023, 02:31 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
Problem is that there is a lot of hostility in Italy itself towards the southerners. As much for economic reasons as any. This follows on when people of Italian descent live elsewhere. My husband is Sicilian background and I really picked it up when my previous Italian teacher was from Turin.

One of many colonisers of Sicily were the Normans. So you can see red-headed Sicilians as well as blond from that legacy.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:13 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But what about blond Italians? Are we to believe that in the US they're not/weren't considered white!
I think a large part of it had to do with the fact that Italians were Catholic, while Anglo-Americans were Protestant, and even to this day many Protestant Americans don’t consider Catholics to even be Christian, so they are viewed as being “other”, and if they are “other” then they can’t be “white”, similar to how today many Hispanics and Arabs have very fair skin, and legally would be considered as “white”, and yet many White Americans view them to be other.

What I’ve come to realise is that white has less to do with race and skin colour and more to do with culture and has evolved to be its own ethnic group in the US. This is also why many Arabs don’t even want to be counted as “white” in the Census anymore, because they view themselves as being “other” as well. I had a similar experience growing up in a Ukrainian/Russian immigrant family, I never considered my self to be “white” as I subconsciously understood it to mean Anglo-American (and everyone else that was assimilated into that group).

Old 02-09-2023, 08:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think a large part of it had to do with the fact that Italians were Catholic, while Anglo-Americans were Protestant, and even to this day many Protestant Americans don’t consider Catholics to even be Christian, so they are viewed as being “other”, and if they are “other” then they can’t be “white”, similar to how today many Hispanics and Arabs have very fair skin, and legally would be considered as “white”, and yet many White Americans view them to be other.

What I’ve come to realise is that white has less to do with race and skin colour and more to do with culture and has evolved to be its own ethnic group in the US. This is also why many Arabs don’t even want to be counted as “white” in the Census anymore, because they view themselves as being “other” as well. I had a similar experience growing up in a Ukrainian/Russian immigrant family, I never considered my self to be “white” as I subconsciously understood it to mean Anglo-American (and everyone else that was assimilated into that group).
French Canadians were also harassed and even attacked by the KKK in New England in the first part of the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World