Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 AM

66 posts, read 42,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Not really. Argentina has lesser proportion of whites than the USA (agreed to as people with fully Caucasian ancestry or phenotypically Caucasian).
Dont over exaggerate the Europeanness of the US.

Actual 100% straight out European origin people in the US are a minority!

Even large numbers of the Americans that identify with the social label white probably have some Cherokee or even Afro ancestor somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 11:05 AM

89 posts, read 49,188 times
;Why is the US’s ethnic and racial diversity downplayed:
why should it be over played

Old 07-29-2021, 01:41 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post

Even large numbers of the Americans that identify with the social label white probably have some Cherokee or even Afro ancestor somewhere!
I’m not exaggerating the Europeanness of the USA, but emphasizing on Argentina’s mixed reality.

Anyway, having a random Cherokee, Nubian or Papuan ancestor who represents 1/16 or 1/32 of your genetic makeup =/= being 50% Euro and 50% Amerindian or 75% Euro and 25% Amerindian. This is why I wrote “phenotypically Caucasian” besides “fully Caucasian ancestry”, as the “fully” thing is by definition intrinsically invalid and rather an expression of overly preponderant ancestry. We’re all mixed after all.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
The US is not that diverse. Other than some big cities with diverse cultures like NYC or Miami, the vast majority of the US is homogeneous.

In Europe you drive two hours and you are in a completely different culture, country, with a different ethnicity, religion, way of life, architecture, history.

In the USA you can drive for days and everyone will always be American. (black or white or Mexican-American, Americans are all the same generally when it comes to culture)
Just because all the US speaks English, it doesn't mean there is no diversity.

I've lived in Austin, Texas, Boston and NYC. Each city has its own traditions, speech idioms, food, and culture. The cowboy culture of Austin, TX is nowhere close Puritan Boston Culture. NYC and Boston are no way interchangeable.

You aren't able to differentiate between these cities because 1) you haven't been in the US or 2) you don't care to notice it.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:50 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:

No. Not really. Maybe in the Midwest, even then it's rare. Certainly not true for anyone from NYC or Boston.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:12 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
The US is not that diverse. Other than some big cities with diverse cultures like NYC or Miami, the vast majority of the US is homogeneous.

In Europe you drive two hours and you are in a completely different culture, country, with a different ethnicity, religion, way of life, architecture, history.

In the USA you can drive for days and everyone will always be American. (black or white or Mexican-American, Americans are all the same generally when it comes to culture)
Are you suggesting that it is otherwise for each European country? Or for most countries?

Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Queens is a neighborhood
outside of it its not diverse at all

I mean, white, black, and American latinos all behave the same, speak same language, share same culture.

You can drive from coast to coast and its all the same.

In europe I have germanic culture an hour north from here, with their ownfood, way of life, language I cannot speak, protestantism.

South of me itss latin,french, catholicism, other foods, ways of life.

East of me I have the UK, with english, their culture etc.

London is the most diversecity on the earth

you dont have that diversity in the US

in the US everything is the same wherever you go
Wrong! Some things are the same.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:42 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveitup View Post
I should note that it seems there’s always more of an emphasis placed by foreigners on “the undercounting of British ancestry” in the American population, so the discussion of diversity ends up being wrapped up in emphasizing the British ethnic element of American society in a seeming attempt to downplay American ethnic diversity on top of everything else. This branch of the discussion seems to come from British people who want to associate American culture with the British, or else dismiss American culture or diversity in some way, so that they can better make generalizations about American society.

Because that's what America IS.
I am not of British descent, but I could recognize this "element" as the leading one in American culture from the get-go.

Quote:
So Australia and Canada and Brazil are, ridiculously, allowed to assert their allegedly colorful European and multiracial diversity and Americans aren’t, because foreigners are eager to 1) Downplay the multiracial aspect of American society and 2) Over-emphasize British ancestry in specific regards to the US in an effort to dismiss American ethnic diversity.

The world just doesn’t seem to want to acknowledge there is anything but white British people with an ostracized smattering of 100% black Africans in America. It’s laughable.
Nope, same story here;

Canada and Australia = British (French) leading "ethnic element" of the countries, ( and both are the countries of the first world by the way.)
Brazil is different in each and every sense of it and NOT a first world country.

So you are getting obviously confused.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:01 PM

25 posts, read 16,952 times
Quote:
Finding the US boring it's not hating it.

But the US is mind blowing homogenous!
The US cannot be called homogeneous. In any way. Period. This simply is not up for debate.

This claim really amounts to trolling at this point.

The US influences world culture more than any country today and is larger than continental Europe. It’s mind-blowing that you’re even attempting to make imputations pertaining to it being “boring”,

Old 08-03-2021, 03:05 PM

25 posts, read 16,952 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

The 3rd worldish crazy run down US cities are America's saving grace.

I prefer to spend time in Philadelphia than in some terrible suburb full of SUV Karens, and white men obsessed with their yards!!! American suburbs are singlehandedly the most AWFUL SOULLESS DEPRESSING places on this planet!! US suburbs are new money, tacky, trashy. I prefer your run down cities!

Diversity has always existed in Europe. Why do you think Europe has had so many wars? Way too many ethnic groups competing for resources cramped up together in small tiny Europe!!

It is the first time in European history that we enjoy peace. Before this continent was a continuous bloodbath! I think WWII taught us the lesson!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diversity is not shoved down people's throats here.

- Africans who go to France often speak French and come from countries colonized by France.

- Immigrants to the UK often come from places that are part of the British commonwealth.

- Spain has a lot of immigrants from countries that were part of their old empire.

Then you have random places like Sweden where they need tax payers to maintain their quality of life, so they brought Iranians, Africans, some Asians in. It's a way to keep the quality of life going!! How else are you going to afford all those subsidies and retirement checks if no one works?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Europeans do not pamper to the whims of Karen!! Like they do in the US!

Europe is a civilization that focuses on the greater good over the individual, hence if random stranger does not like foreigners then he can **** off, the world will not stop just because Francois in some irrelevant french village does not like Franco-Africans!

This is opposite to US culture where the greater good cares a lot about Karens, Bobs and todds have to say!
This should’ve been the cue to ban this user.

1) He’s calling US cities “third world”. The US has the most impressive array of high metropolitan area GDPs in the world. So this is deluded

2) He’s insulting Americans

3) He’s smearing “American suburbs” as “tacky and trashy”. French and British suburbs are full of poorer people, same-y semi-detached housing and council blocks. American suburbs are objectively nicer, and historically, more wealth has been concentrated in them

I find it kind of odd that anti-Americanism is so desperate that we’re always reduced to decrying SUV’s and another inanities in some bizarre attempt to scrounge up some kind of unflattering depiction of American life. It’s laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World