Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 09:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
easthome had made an assertion that Latinos would be considered "white" in most of the world. That's what this thread tangent is about.

So we were presented a picture of some actual Latinos in the US and asked if Europeans would consider those people "white."

Okay, so the answer is "no." It doesn't make any difference what Europeans guessed they might be, the fact is that the people pictured are Latinos--that's what they consider themselves--and would not be considered "white" by Europeans.

Yeah, we know that the "Latino" is an ethnic term, not a racial one, but from what I see in the Americas is that the numerical majority of people who call themselves "Latino" by ethnicity also have too much non-white admixture to be considered "white" among Europeans.
The answer isn't 'no' though is it? Jennifer Lopez is labelled 'Latino' over there but she is simply white over here no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 09:32 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
To most of the world, "white" is based on what you actually look like, not one's ethnic ancestry or even language.

Those two guys in the photo would not be considered "white" where I live.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:34 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
easthome had made an assertion that Latinos would be considered "white" in most of the world. That's what this thread tangent is about.

So we were presented a picture of some actual Latinos in the US and asked if Europeans would consider those people "white."

Okay, so the answer is "no." It doesn't make any difference what Europeans guessed they might be, the fact is that the people pictured are Latinos--that's what they consider themselves--and would not be considered "white" by Europeans.

Yeah, we know that the "Latino" is an ethnic term, not a racial one, but from what I see in the Americas is that the numerical majority of people who call themselves "Latino" by ethnicity also have too much non-white admixture to be considered "white" among Europeans.
Exactly.

As I said upthread, many/most Latinos in the US are Mestizo. They are mixed-race (Spanish and indigenous descent). In fact, there are many who are probably of 100% Indigenous descent (which is apparent) -- but they speak Spanish (because, obviously, Spain colonized Mexico/Central America). It's the equivalent of a someone who's 100% Black racially but speaks only French, or someone who's 100% ethnic Chinese but speaks with a thick Scottish accent.

More important, though, most Latinos in the US don't consider themselves white . Not at all. That's really what matters. And most Europeans, even in Southern Europe, probably wouldn't consider them white, either.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The answer isn't 'no' though is it? Jennifer Lopez is labelled 'Latino' over there but she is simply white over here no?
Perhaps because Jennifer Lopez LOOKS white and might be of mostly white ancestry. Both her parents are from Puerto Rico, not Mexico or Central America. So, she might have little or no indigenous or Black ancestry.

From Wikipedia:

"Studies have shown that the racial ancestry mixture of the average Puerto Rican (regardless of racial self-identity) is about 64% European, 21% African, and 15% Native Taino, with European ancestry strongest on the west side of the island and West African ancestry strongest on the east side..."

Old 08-26-2021, 09:54 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVanAmstel View Post
White
Except that she is Indigenous American (Native American), very proudly so and very insistently so. She would be offended that you presumed she was white.

And she doesn't particularly look white. If I didn't guess Native American, I'd have guessed an Asian admixture.

Nor would I guess Jennifer Lopez or Eva Langoria to be white, and certainly not Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, but rather Latino with less Native American admixture.

But maybe that's a matter of being commonly around enough people with various levels of non-white admixtures to recognize differences.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-26-2021 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-26-2021, 10:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

So these guys would be considered White in London, Paris, Rome? Not even in Spain (where I've lived) would they have been considered anything but indigenous/Latino/other.
I doubt that anybody anywhere would consider those guys as whites. It's very obvious from their physical builds from head to toe and the shapes of their facial and jaw structures and sets of their eyes and mouthes that they're Mestizos. You could cover them entirely in green paint and it would still be obvious that they're Mestizos.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:42 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
She is an Ojibwe born in Alberta, Canada, and she looks every inch an Ojibwe. All the indigenous tribes in North America have identifying features that set them apart from each other.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
She is an Ojibwe born in Alberta, Canada, and she looks every inch an Ojibwe. All the indigenous tribes in North America have identifying features that set them apart from each other.

Here in Quebec (where I suppose people might be less attuned than on the Canadian Prairies to who is Indigenous and who isn't) someone who looks like her would definitely be considered "white". (Assuming one doesn't know anything else about her.)

At a minimum, for people in Quebec to assume you're Indigenous simply based on appearance, one would look something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=flor...A_enCA931CA931

But even so, there isn't a huge difference between him and guys like these who aren't considered Indigenous at all:

https://www.google.com/search?q=clau...w=1280&bih=577

https://www.google.com/search?q=brun...A_enCA931CA931

Old 08-26-2021, 11:13 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here in Quebec (where I suppose people might be less attuned than on the Canadian Prairies to who is Indigenous and who isn't) someone who looks like her would definitely be considered "white". (Assuming one doesn't know anything else about her.)
Seriously? Cara Gee really looks Caucasian to you? Which part of western Europe would you figure she'd hail from?

Old 08-26-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Exactly.

As I said upthread, many/most Latinos in the US are Mestizo. They are mixed-race (Spanish and indigenous descent). In fact, there are many who are probably of 100% Indigenous descent (which is apparent) -- but they speak Spanish (because, obviously, Spain colonized Mexico/Central America). It's the equivalent of a someone who's 100% Black racially but speaks only French, or someone who's 100% ethnic Chinese but speaks with a thick Scottish accent.

More important, though, most Latinos in the US don't consider themselves white . Not at all. That's really what matters. And most Europeans, even in Southern Europe, probably wouldn't consider them white, either.
I definitely can't disagree that most US Latinos don't consider themselves white, but I think that's just them adapting to the US' ethno-racial universe.

There definitely are lots of people in a country like Spain who look like AOC, Lopez and Longoria, and they're not necessarily immigrants from Latin America or their children. They are often multi-generational Spanish.

I definitely think Europeans would consider them white, unless we're talking about alt-right groups and sympathizers who don't even consider Poles and other Slavs as "white".

Obviously it's not nearly as obsessive as in the US , but the notion of whiteness does exist in Europe, and it does generally apply to all populations native to the continent. Except the Roms maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World