Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
I do not think the US should have high speed rails connecting Amarillo Texas with Tulsa Oklahoma, or Baton Rouge Louisiana with Frankfurt Kentucky.

But the US could profit from an eastern board high speed train connecting Boston - NYC - Philadelphia - Baltimore - DC, shoot you could even extend it south to Richmond - Raleigh - Atlanta - Orlando - Miami.

Another one could benefit Dallas - Austin - Houston.

And a pacific one San Diego - Los Angeles - San Francisco - Portland - Seattle.

Other than this I doubt the Us needs any more highspeed rail.

Canada could do with a Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto.

Australia with a Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne.
I would be extremely happy if there's some kind of passenger train service connecting Tulsa with nearby cities, high speed or not.

Even though I'm a big fan of train travels, I believe public healthcare/education to low-income people is a more important issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 12:25 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Developing countries today are similar to what European countries used to be like before the 20th century:

A small, isolated upper class that live very luxuriously and differently from the masses of people.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:22 AM

164 posts, read 80,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Developing countries today are similar to what European countries used to be like before the 20th century:

A small, isolated upper class that live very luxuriously and differently from the masses of people.
You think Europeans countries are not like that today? A small elite of mega wealthy and then the rest.

Even the US is like that. America's rich live outrageously wealthy lives compared to the American masses who often struggle make ends meet.

Plus, claiming developing countries in the 21st century are similar to European living standards in the 19th century it is just plain rude and offensive if not quite naive.

I've been to several developing countries with better infrastructure, banking systems, and even much more open minded societies than many developed countries.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:31 AM

7 posts, read 4,253 times
Yeah this is true. I'm from South Africa and we have something like the new York subway trains, but in SA only middle to upper class can afford it. Healthcare too. You have to have medical aid (insurance) to access good healthcare from private hospitals and doctors. obviously only working people have money to pay for it otherwise you will have to get healthcare from the government, which is very poor. No one wants to find themselves in a public hospital.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:39 AM

169 posts, read 129,874 times
Rather be somebody in a small town/city (5000 - 500 000 people) than a nobody in a city of 1m+

Old 08-06-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
Rather be somebody in a small town/city (5000 - 500 000 people) than a nobody in a city of 1m+
I heard a fantastic proverb in Spanish.

I rather be the head of a mouse, then the arsehole of a lion.

I rather be rich in a developing country, than a working class/middle class minion in a rich one.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:06 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
You think Europeans countries are not like that today? A small elite of mega wealthy and then the rest.

Even the US is like that. America's rich live outrageously wealthy lives compared to the American masses who often struggle make ends meet.
Western countries have inequality too, but lower-middle or working class people don’t generally have a deprived standard of living like they do in developing countries.

Having a toilet that flushes, hot and cold running water, a washer and dryer or an air conditioner are not considered luxuries in western or developed countries.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Western countries have inequality too, but lower-middle or working class people don’t generally have a deprived standard of living like they do in developing countries.

Having a toilet that flushes, hot and cold running water, a washer and dryer or an air conditioner are not considered luxuries in western or developed countries.
I've been to poor countries with shanty towns with perfectly running water.

In many developing countries tap water is drinking water unlike some parts of the US where pipes are poisonous.

I ve been to Rio's favelas and the locals have washing machines, running water, satellite TV. Time to stop watching so much hollywood!

Old 08-06-2021, 12:41 PM

1,136 posts, read 523,712 times
The rich can save more money in developing countries. They can hire more people with the same amount of money. Food are cheaper and are not always bad in quality in developing countries.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:01 AM

169 posts, read 129,874 times
I just don't like the climates most developing countries have. Most are too scorching hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World