Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:46 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,830,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What utter nonsense. I understand how huge expanses such as the Amazon and Sahara can be difficult to live in for most humans but the Colombian Andes alone is the size of Italy and a perfect place to live. I don't see what's so special about the Scandinavian climate or Southern Texan climate. Eurocentric ignorance knows no bounds till this day.

You can't feed people on coffee. Mountainous climates are great for tea, coffee, apples, pears, plums, cherries, peaches, apricots, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, but those don't form the basis of a modern diet.

A country that can produce all of these is in a way better place:
  • Beef
  • Chicken
  • Corn
  • Dairy/Milk
  • Eggs
  • Pig
  • Potatoes
  • Rice
  • Soybeans
  • Wheat

Those are the magic ten that form the basis of the human diet today.

USA is:
  • #1 in Beef (and only rivaled by Brazil in #2)
  • #1 in Chicken (only rivaled by China in #2 and Brazil in #3)
  • #1 in Corn (only rivaled by China in #2, but some distance away)
  • #2 in Eggs (with China #1 by a massive margin)
  • #1 in Milk (by a large margin)
  • #2 in Pig (with China #1 by 4x margin)
  • #5 in Potatoes (China, India, Russia, Ukraine, then USA, but China is far and away #1)
  • #11 in Rice (even though Americans rarely eat it)
  • #2 in Soybeans (with Brazil #1, but it's extremely close)
  • #4 in Wheat

Clearly Texas's geography, which is perfect for meat production, is far more useful than Colombia's climate. Also, nearly all of Scandinavia is colored in red, which is worse than the Andes Valleys of Colombia, so the map is saying Texas > Colombia > Scandinavia, which is correct to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:05 PM

7,683 posts, read 5,543,529 times
Manitopiaaa, I don’t think those ratings reflect how well a country produces to feed itself because populations of countries vary quite a bit. Comparing per capita production of each of those food items would be more meaningful.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:55 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
There is a whole lot more population living in areas that average about 20-22C than 5-7C. In fact, the average Earth temperature weighted by population is around 21C, so from the standpoint of average temperature, 21C is much more inhabitable than 6 or 7C.

You may emphasize on average temperature vs. HDI or something like this, but then again, correlation doesn’t imply causation, and it’s even dubious there is a significant correlation.
Oh yes I would love to live somewhere where the yearly average is around 20-22 - perfect! A yearly average of 20-22 degrees C is quite high, for example I don't think anywhere Europe has an average that high.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:14 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,736,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Clearly Texas's geography, which is perfect for meat production, is far more useful than Colombia's climate.
I saw your post before but just noticed this particular statement. This assessment doesn't surprise me but once again it stems from ignorance. Colombia too has a huge cattle ranching culture/production in the Llanos. The Llanos grasslands are the size of Germany that straddle northern South America and even though it's one of the global 200 biomes, many people clearly are not aware of this. And it's not any old thing, it's a whole world unto itself with its own history, music, dress, folk, gastronomy, dance, etc. practically feels like it could be an independent country, much like Texas.

The LLANOS

llanero by Alfredo arrieta, on Flickr

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 11-01-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-01-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
You can't feed people on coffee. Mountainous climates are great for tea, coffee, apples, pears, plums, cherries, peaches, apricots, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, but those don't form the basis of a modern diet.

You do realize that Potatoes and Tomatoes are native to the South American Andes don't you? You're misinterpreting the map you mention, also it's a Mercator projection so the scale is skewed.

Colombia has over a 1,000 varieties of potato, the US a fifth or so of that. It's not just blackberries and coffee grown in Colombia, absolutely every crop known to humankind grows successfully in Colombia! Corn is also native to MesoAmerica which includes Colombia! Just because in the USA Agro became a mass market multi-national business which practices dumping onto the international market doesn't mean that all the crops you mentioned can't be grown.

Just as an example in the first part of the 20th century Colombia only imported 22% of its wheat. With the wheat dumping mainly from the USA, it destroyed the wheat industry of Colombia produced in the Massif and Andean Plateaus to the point where in the 1970's over 80% of wheat is imported. After the cold war the US had an over-production of wheat and sent it for geo-political influence. Not to mention the GMO push which thankfully was pushed back by the landmark case in Canada of Schmeiser v. Monsanto, which would've created a much larger global monopoly and arguably to the detriment of food quality.

A roll-out of the world's largest producers of each cash crop or animals says more about economics, technology and political strength than about the geography itself and as another poster said, per capita is another variable you're not taking into account. Markets like the following abound in every district of every town and city where produce is much closer to organic than you find in North America.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:30 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times
What a joke
I bet you have never been to a tropical rain forest

I lived close to "Parque Henri Pittier" in Venezuela and is one of the best places I've been in the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nY6Wu0FOk

Old 11-02-2021, 12:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
Great posts, Puebloforte.

While I am not surprised that Colombia is more than jungle and mountains, especially since Venezuela has llanos, as well, I had no idea the extent of the Colombian llanos. Very interesting videos that stimulate my desire to visit someday.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Great posts, Puebloforte.

I had no idea the extent of the Colombian llanos. Very interesting videos that stimulate my desire to visit someday.
Thanks.

Any real country Texan will feel at home in the Llanos. Sticking with the Germany reference in comparable area, the Colombian Llanos would occupy all Bavaria, Bundesland and Rhinelands, whilst Venezuela would cover the rest. It’s about a 40-60% split in favour of Venezuela.

Capybara is delicious btw if you ever get to try.

On a Colombian Savanna, Hawks, Caimans and So Many Stars - NY TIMES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World