Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2021, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,874 times

Advertisements

Hello all*

Ok, so I'm sorry for the "click-baity" title, but this truly *might* be one of the weirdest, or at least, most "open-ended" moving questions on this site, and I just wasn't sure exactly where to write it, or how to phrase what I'm about to write, so please, just hear me out and share your thoughts, and I will be eternally grateful*

So, our family is trying to decide where to move....literally, where in the *world* we should move. And I'd love some help and input. We currently have the ability to live and move pretty much anywhere in the world we choose (guaranteed, at least, for the next few years, possibly longer), and, while I am ridiculously grateful for this opportunity, it's also extremely daunting to have so many choices and not be sure what is the right one. It's like, the more choices we have, the more we worry that we are making the wrong one!!*

*I'm not stupid and ungrateful enough to complain about this awesome situation - rather, I would like to get other peoples' honest opinions, thoughts and unbiased advice on what they would do if they were in our situation. I see so much useful information, personal opinions, etc. regarding other peoples' living experiences in almost every city in the world on here, but they are all related to a specific city (or couple of cities) that someone is contemplating moving to. For us, it's a bit different.

So....help us decide where to move lol* !! I need some suggestions from this well-informed community on where (in the world) we should choose. My main question is:

Where do you think we should move, and why??!!

Obviously, there are many co-factors involved, personal preferences, tastes, etc., so before you can actually answer this, here is a little about our situation and our preferences, so that you can help answer with that in mind.

Our situation-

-Hetero couple, married, with one child (7 yrs)
-Have lived in many different countries/cultures over the years, and speak variety of languages. Our native tongue is English, but we are so used to speaking other languages that "learning a new language" doesn't scare us off and isn't considered a "con" for us (it has both its pros and cons).
-Our child loves to travel, makes friends easily, and is used to moves/changes - we always include her in our moving choices, and if she ever voiced/indicated wanting to stay in the same place or build roots, then we would not be here asking this. However, it seems she caught the "travel-bug" from her parents*
, and despite moving a lot, is a very happy, chill, well-adjusted kid
-Husband has stable job that is done from home, pays well (even compared to salaries in high-cost living countries) and we have international accountants that can help work out tax questions, so there won't be any issues there. We don't want/need to live the "luxury-life", but will have enough income for a good lifestyle (rent, car, food, nice accommodation, private school, etc.) in pretty much any country/city we choose.
-In terms of living close to our families - our families are travelers like us and live all across the globe, so making a choice based on where our family lives doesn't work for us, and, at least pre-covid, we always made it a rule to do at least 2 family visits a year, which we will continue wherever we are once Covid hopefully eases.
-We hold citizenship/passports in both the E.U. countries and U.S.A, with strong potential to be able to reside temporarily in Latin/South America (due to family connections) or most Asian countries (due to their digital nomad visas currently available). So, regarding visas the choices are pretty open.

Our preferences -

-Somewhat of a smaller-town, or at least a smaller-town feel, rather than a big city
-Basic internet access that is reliable
-Somewhere that has a strong liberal culture or "hippie-vibe" (not the drugs part, but the laid-back, tied-dyed, clothing-optional beaches, "homage to flower-power" type
-Somewhere that is somewhat politically stable (no direct threat of war or physical danger)
-Somewhere that has good, beautiful nature (we prefer a place with 4 distinct seasons, but would be open to more tropical, beach spots if it was the right community)
-Somewhere that is kid-friendly with a friendly community-feel
-Somewhere that ideally has an English-speaking or international school, as this is our child's native tongue and what we have done in other countries (but, we would be willing to compromise on this for the right spot*

-Somewhere that places an emphasis on culture and/or art
-Somewhere with a less materialistic culture (not brand-based, hyper-focused on looks/plastic surgery, etc.)
-Somewhere that has access to good medical care (despite it being a smaller town - we have found this one to be a toughie to find) - I suffer from medical issues that need addressing on a semi-regular basis
-Somewhere that does not have too poor air quality

Ok, so I feel like I've been pretty specific in trying to make this as detailed as possible without giving out too much personal info*
, but please, if I'm forgetting something important, just ask below. This feels really weird and vulnerable to be putting out this major life question to strangers on a forum on the internet (and I am afraid of internet trolls and nasty comments, as I have never really done this before, so please be kind
), but at the same time, I feel like this is such a worldly, unbiased, anonymous resource, and I am really, really interested in suggestions that people will have for us of places to live, and why they choose those places specifically. Maybe you know of some secret little spot that seems like the perfect fit for us....or maybe you yourself have been in our situation and chosen somewhere that you did or did not end up liking, and can give us some wisdom....or maybe you just have some really great suggestions that we have not considered. We are open to anything - Europe, North (U.S.A.)/Central/South America, Asia, Mid-East, etc. Just fire away and help us with some suggestions, please!!

Thank you SO much in advance for taking the time to read this and, potentially, answer.

Much love,
Traveling family*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World