Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 06:52 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It would have a smashing night life I am sure, how would you Shanghai compares to Seoul, I believe you worked in a similar capacity in Seoul as well?
Yes, I worked in both Seoul and Shanghai and much preferred Shanghai although Seoul has better food and is more developed. In the case of Seoul, I worked as a Contractor in a Samsung office in a pretty stressful work environment and when in Shanghai I worked in my company's corporate office which was more comfortable. Shanghai was just more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 07:29 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,494,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, I worked in both Seoul and Shanghai and much preferred Shanghai although Seoul has better food and is more developed. In the case of Seoul, I worked as a Contractor in a Samsung office in a pretty stressful work environment and when in Shanghai I worked in my company's corporate office which was more comfortable. Shanghai was just more fun.
Cool, different strokes for different folks i suppose. The workplace comment is really interesting.

I am married to a Korean from Seoul, so nightlife is not really something i have ever been interested in while in in the city, its just not her scene really. I suppose I got a bit of the " hoesik' culture the first time I went with her, It seems every male member of her family was determined to get me as drunk as possible, every chance they got to test me out. to see what sort of husband i would make or something I suppose

Fortunately i am a happy drunk with a good head for Alcohol, and it often resulted in said male family member getting drunk, and me having to help them

I also like that fact that you are never really very far from a mountain in Seoul, you can easily escape the density/bussel of the city, just by hoping on the Metro.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-25-2021 at 07:52 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 07:48 PM

910 posts, read 366,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I live in a world city. Sometimes I hate it more than every other place because, well... it's a world city and a huge city. Traffic, pollution, vandalism, overcrowded public transport; it's a commonplace in most other world cities I know so far; indeed the widespread overhead wires and the blandness of the architecture in São Paulo really annoys me. But I won't naturally be neutral; it's because I have to deal with these big cities issues every day. About other cities... I didn't visit any major city that I would certainly dislike, so I don't have any negative opinions about them.
Nice post!

Old 11-25-2021, 07:51 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
Bangkok - sweltering heat & humidity, heavily congested traffic, just not real pleasant. Nice people and great restaurants though.

Houston - very spread out, takes a long time (especially during rush hour periods) to drive from one end to the other. On the other hand, very diverse with some great restaurants.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:54 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Of the cities I've visited, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Seoul, Brussels, Berlin, Milan stand out as cities I really don't have many nice things to say about.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:02 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
If a world city is defined as a wealth of financial services, international cultures present, substantial public infrastructure, significant media influence and presence, etc.--which many national capitals (though not exclusively capital cities) fit--I've been to the following world cities:

-DC
-NYC
-LA
-Atlanta
-New Orleans
-Beijing
-Manila
-Honolulu
-Istanbul
-Paris
-London
-Sydney

(I've been to some others that I could argue are world cities, but I think this list is adequate for this discussion).

Of this list, I was most disappointed with Manila, though this could be because I didn't spend enough time exploring around. But, overall, I wasn't too impressed with the city.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:41 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Cool, different strokes for different folks i suppose. The workplace comment is really interesting.

I am married to a Korean from Seoul, so nightlife is not really something i have ever been interested in while in in the city, its just not her scene really. I suppose I got a bit of the " hoesik' culture the first time I went with her, It seems every male member of her family was determined to get me as drunk as possible, every chance they got to test me out. to see what sort of husband i would make or something I suppose

Fortunately i am a happy drunk with a good head for Alcohol, and it often resulted in said male family member getting drunk, and me having to help them

I also like that fact that you are never really very far from a mountain in Seoul, you can easily escape the density/bussel of the city, just by hoping on the Metro.
Yeah, I did plenty of hiking in the big hills around Seoul, very nice. My sense of Korean culture is that Koreans don't like conflict with their work peers and have a hard time resolving conflict and decisions and will go out on work drinking forays after work where they get a bit inebriated and get their conflicts discussed more candidly.

I really loved the food in Seoul but couldn't develop a taste for kimchi even though I know it's incredibly healthy. When I returned to the USA, I missed all of the peppers that are routine i Korean food.

It's a bit harder to escape the insanity of the city in Shanghai than Seoul but I still really enjoyed Shanghai.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Dislike the most so far, but might go back to one, and that is Athens. I was there over 20 years ago. It didn't click with me for some reason, but I know one day when I visit the Greek Islands again, I will give it another go.

The other, and I have no desire to go back is....lol...yes Milan. As someone said, a good place to change trains.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't like cities in general anyway but the one city I dislike the very most of all is Los Angeles. I don't like anything about it and have never had good experiences each time I've been required to go there. I think the majority of people who live there all behave like Extra Terrestrials trying to masquerade as humans. Very weird, eccentric and angry people with big chips on their shoulders who don't seem to recognize how rude and abnormally non-human and unfriendly they behave. I'd never recommend LA as a place to visit.

That's basically how I feel about NYC...

Old 11-27-2021, 05:23 AM

910 posts, read 366,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's basically how I feel about NYC...
Disagree with you. I wouldn’t say something that stupid about any city. He is a big cry baby, blaming an entire population, because he never ever had a good time there. I also prefer LA, over NYC, or any other city for that matter, but I always find good where ever I go. I was in Detroit a couple of years ago, and found several nice things about it. Love the older type Detroit skyline, and several architectural masterpieces downtown. I thought the city had great bones. Now I wouldn’t live there, because Los Angeles is the place for me.

Last edited by vindag; 11-27-2021 at 06:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World