Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 04:45 AM

52 posts, read 49,319 times

Advertisements

When talk about the pacific they always talk about the dreamy pacific islands or countries like the Philippines Australia or Indonesia I'm from Indonesia my mother is but I'm actually from the UK anyway the shawshank redemption shows Mexico is romantized way saying that I hope the pacific is as blue in my dreams the countries that border the pacific our that aren't warm or dreamy
China
Japan
North Korea
South Korea
Taiwan
Canada
Russia
USA (alaska)
Maybe people think of Fiji or bora bora when talking about the pacific
But really I don't think I like to swim in Russia east coast the pacific is way too cold Vladivostok Ith the winters are dreadful they are just ghastly I can't believe anyone would want to swim in somewhere so cold and oh it's on the same latitude as Nice I can't even breathe
I went to Japan only for the culture not beaches I want to go to China for cultural reasons same with South Korea but hey no one wants to go to their beaches cause they arecway too cold I guess because Atlantic is freezing and is generally more north although the pacific can be north and freezing and Atlantic can be warm and subtropical or even tropical I think the pacific islands are more famous UK Atlantic is not warm but neither is the pacific coast of east Asia.
So why all these holiday brochures promoting blue water and white sandy beaches across the pacific when it can be quite cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 07:37 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
South Pacific =/= Pacific.

People dream of the South Pacific (and the Caribbean), not "the Pacific" or "the Atlantic" in general.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:15 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
South Pacific =/= Pacific.

People dream of the South Pacific (and the Caribbean), not "the Pacific" or "the Atlantic" in general.
Yep. The language may sometimes be generalized, but we all know what is meant.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:48 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Vladivostok is yes a pretty frigid place, especially considering how far south it is, but in the summer the water is actually decently warm and definitely swimmable. At it's peak warmth in August, the waters around Vladivostok reach an average of 72.3 F (22.4C), this is all the more impressive considering the average high for air temperature in August only reaches 73.9F (23.3C) and is warmer than the daily mean of 68F (20C).

Now compare that to Los Angeles where the the water temperature only reaches an average of 68F (20C) in August.

So really the Eastern shore of the Pacific (Americas) is much colder than the western shore (Asia).

Also the North Atlantic is also pretty warm due to the gulf stream, in NYC the average water temperature peaks with an average of 74.1F (23.4C) in August.

but I guess you are focusing more on winter temperatures as well as the climates on land rather than how warm or cold the water actually is.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:08 AM

Just seems Horrific to me Vladivostok and all the pacific coast of Northeast Asia cause my Mum grew up Indonesia a tropical country in South Pacific sort of it has region called West Papua now technically Indonsians are considered pacific islanders and no don't even get me started on are Filphonos pacific islanders guess when people of cold they Scandinavia rather Northeast Asia so many don't even realise Korea has such cold winters north Korea is always on the news but people don't know what weather is like same with China Japan is island but still freezing cold considering it's island Mongolia is Asia coldest country and is one coldest countries on earth.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:26 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, it's a little odd to conflate regions outside the tropics with stereotypes about tropical Pacific Islands. I'm not sure what's going on in your mind in that regard. People know the difference between tropical paradises and Siberian coastal regions, Japan and Alaska. And in the popular mind, Indonesians aren't considered "Pacific Islanders". That term refers to Polynesia mainly. Anthropologists might also include Melanesia, which I suppose is were Papua, as part of Indonesia, comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega;
Vladivostok is yes a pretty frigid place, especially considering how far south it is, but in the summer the water is actually decently warm and definitely swimmable. At it's peak warmth in August, the waters around Vladivostok reach an average of 72.3 F (22.4C), this is all the more impressive considering the average high for air temperature in August only reaches 73.9F (23.3C) and is warmer than the daily mean of 68F (20C).
. Grega, I don't know about Vladivostok; maybe because it's on the ocean, the summer temps are milder. Khabarovsk a bit north of there has horrifically hot and humid summers. I suppose that's because it's inland, along the Amur? But nowadays, even the northern regions of the Khabarovsk district (krai) near the coast get summer heat waves.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-21-2021 at 07:36 AM..

Old 12-21-2021, 03:13 PM

I see more romantiztion of the Pacfic rather thsn Indian ocean I know a lot people think that Madives and Seychelles are islands in the Pacfic rather islands in Indian ocean even though it is warmer than the pacific i think that it is duethe fact that it has the word Indian in it so it must be somewhere in India right because it's called the Indian ocean and I don't see people romantize about India's beaches they claim they are not nice like those in the Philippines or Pacfic islands so while we call them pacific islands we don't call them Indian islands because they are not in India and yes the altantic has nice beaches to such as those in carribean but their is too much Crime their so hence the Romantizing of the Pacfic rather than Atlantic islands or Indian ocean islands.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:52 PM

1,002 posts, read 905,851 times
OP is Filipino disguises himself as an Indonesian hehe because of the stereotype in the USA is always seen Filipinos as a family from the Pacific Islanders because they have a lot in common. but it doesn't matter if Indonesia is on a pacific island because of its geographical location between the Pacific Islander and Asian

Old 12-22-2021, 12:35 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowingalot3 View Post
I see more romantiztion of the Pacfic rather thsn Indian ocean I know a lot people think that Madives and Seychelles are islands in the Pacfic rather islands in Indian ocean even though it is warmer than the pacific i think that it is duethe fact that it has the word Indian in it so it must be somewhere in India right because it's called the Indian ocean and I don't see people romantize about India's beaches they claim they are not nice like those in the Philippines or Pacfic islands so while we call them pacific islands we don't call them Indian islands because they are not in India and yes the altantic has nice beaches to such as those in carribean but their is too much Crime their so hence the Romantizing of the Pacfic rather than Atlantic islands or Indian ocean islands.
Both the Maldives and the Seychelles look lovely though, don’t you think?

Old 12-22-2021, 06:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowingalot3 View Post

Why do people dream of the pacfic and think it's a tropical paradise when it can actually be freezing

When talk about the pacific they always talk about the dreamy pacific islands or countries like the Philippines Australia or Indonesia.....

.....Maybe people think of Fiji or bora bora when talking about the pacific

So why all these holiday brochures promoting blue water and white sandy beaches across the pacific when it can be quite cold.
You just answered your own question. Look at a world map that shows where the equator is and the tropical zones (Cancer and Capricorn) on either side of it.

Holiday places that promote warm blue water and white sandy beaches are places that are within the tropical zones. When vacationers dream of the Pacific being a tropical paradise it's because they're only thinking of the tropical regions of the Pacific that are within the equatorial and tropical zones that are sandwiched between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

The colder parts of the Pacific are in the regions that are north of the Tropic of Cancer and south of the Tropic of Capricorn, and the really cold freezing parts of the Pacific are closer to the polar zones.

I think most people who've gotten any schooling will know that and those who want to swim in warm places in the Pacific will be dreaming of only the warm tropical places in the Pacific, they aren't thinking of the colder regions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World