Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 10:20 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,427,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
If that's your take-home not your gross, you can live in most of the US (particularly the Midwest, South).

You can live pretty much anywhere in Europe - except London, parts of Paris, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austrian ski resorts, maybe Luxembourg, etc.

You can live pretty much anywhere in Asia - except Hong Kong, much of Tokyo, and maybe Singapore. You can live anywhere in Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Oceania.

You probably can't live on it in high-demand areas of Canada, Australia or NZ, though I'm sure you could in lower demand areas.

You have to remember, nowhere in the world really has higher salaries than the US, except for Switzerland and Norway. Europeans make lower salaries and pay much lower rent than the US. Property is worth a lot, but the price-to-rent ratio is way higher than in the US. I have lived for a short time in Italy and Germany as a roommate in an apartment with my own bedroom, and was only paying about $300 month in both places. These were very large, nice 3-4 bedroom apartments renting to primary tenant for not much more than $1000/month.

If you mean living high on the hog: Eastern Europe, Russia/ex-USSR, Latin America, Africa, most of Asia. Pretty much anywhere that isn't considered 'the West.'
We live about 6kms (4 Mile), and a 10 minute bus ride or 20 Minute bike ride, from the downtown (CBD) of Brisbane , and lease a fully furnished granny flat (Secondary Unit or whatever they call it in the USA) for approx. $900 US per month, including all costs (Except Food) on that budget that would leave $1600US (or $2100 AUD) to spend per month on whatever you want. If you are a single adult, while certainly not rich, you could easily live comfortably on that sort of money in the city.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-06-2022 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 10:39 PM

368 posts, read 209,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
We live about 6kms (4 Mile), and a 10 minute bus ride or 20 Minute bike ride, from the downtown (CBD) of Brisbane , and lease a fully furnished single bedroom granny flat for approx. $900 US per month, including all costs (Not Food) on that budget that would leave $1600US (or $2100 AUD) to spend per month on whatever you want. If you are a single adult, while certainly not rich, you could easily live comfortably on that sort of money in the city.
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, by 'lower-demand' I meant basically not living in the equivalent of Manhattan NYC, i.e. the most expensive parts of the most expensive cities. I just meant normal areas where middle-income people live. Didn't mean it as any kind of knock and I know Brisbane is not the boonies by any stretch of the imagination and is one of main cities of Australia. I figured it was possible in Australia since I knew people there aren't making much more than the US and usually a little less.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, by 'lower-demand' I meant basically not living in the equivalent of Manhattan NYC, i.e. the most expensive parts of the most expensive cities. I just meant normal areas where middle-income people live. Didn't mean it as any kind of knock and I know Brisbane is not the boonies by any stretch of the imagination and is one of main cities of Australia. I figured it was possible in Australia since I knew people there aren't making much more than the US and usually a little less.
That is pretty much what i thought you were talking about, if you wanted to live within 5 km of Downtown Sydney, your US $2500 might cover your rent if your lucky. However, as a single adult I would say that you could live comfortably in 95% of Australia on that income, just not the most desirable and most sort after parts. You would not be able to stay in Hotels or BNB's etc in any part of the country on that budget either. However if you were willing to sort out weekly or monthly rentals in private shared houses (which are readably available, ) or bunk in a youth hostel (also readably Available) and use that place as a base to explore what ever region you are in. It would certainly be achievable.

The City of Brisbane Certainly is not the Bonnies, To give you an idea, the Median household income in my district of Brisbane City was $1400 US (AU $1950) a week in 2016, which is sort of upper middle class in the city. (The city Median was about $1,250 USD per Week at the time)

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-07-2022 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-08-2022, 07:06 AM

811 posts, read 850,296 times
With $2500 you can live extremely well in South America if you're living alone.

You'll be able to afford rent in the best neighborhoods and then you'll still have a lot of money to spend in food, clothing and entertainment.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:51 AM

928 posts, read 492,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post

You'll be able to afford rent in the best neighborhoods and then you'll still have a lot of money to spend in food, clothing and entertainment.
Precisely.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:01 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post

Maybe in South America you can, but not in eastern europe since in eastern europe real estate scams seem to be on a whole new level and I'm personally seeing it. Long story short: after trying to buy one of 2 properties for a small amount by western standards (~$60k) I am about to give up since for one of them the seller was in jail for scamming people and for the 2nd one - I just made attempt No# 5 to locate the owner (in a course of ~2 weeks using 4 different brokers...), who seems to be a Russian guy living abroad and likely dead who knows...

Moral of the story - in high crime areas trying to avoid scams should be top priority and not if you can get lower cost of living.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
We live about 6kms (4 Mile), and a 10 minute bus ride or 20 Minute bike ride, from the downtown (CBD) of Brisbane , and lease a fully furnished granny flat (Secondary Unit or whatever they call it in the USA) for approx. $900 US per month, including all costs (Except Food) on that budget that would leave $1600US (or $2100 AUD) to spend per month on whatever you want. If you are a single adult, while certainly not rich, you could easily live comfortably on that sort of money in the city.
It will be interesting to see in the Brisbane COL (cost of living) will creep up, faster than inflation, as the 2032 Summer Olympics (which they are hosting) get closer?

Old 02-08-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It will be interesting to see in the Brisbane COL (cost of living) will creep up, faster than inflation, as the 2032 Summer Olympics (which they are hosting) get closer?
The main Olympic stadium is between our house the city/downtown, its about 2 miles away , are not sure if it will be a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:17 PM

1,348 posts, read 606,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I would say pretty decent ,US$2500 CONVERTED to local currency~Central America,Eastern Europe
In Russia can live on this money without denying itself anything. I think even in Moscow or St. Petersburg.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:54 AM

1,014 posts, read 471,284 times
No data in Africa. Third world country. And that means they are poorer than the rest of the world. America. While some parts of Africa has building and also is modernized, other parts are dry and starving is African people and they are dying of starvation because a drought of food and water is all over the land. They have no means to supply themselves with Food and water.

Last edited by tyCable; 02-09-2022 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: spelling changed. They are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World