Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 01:18 PM

93 posts, read 67,928 times

Advertisements

Latin - Baltic - Semitic - Romanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 01:29 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmione904 View Post
Japan uses both. Usually 12h is used in daily conversation and 24h is in written words.
Interestingly, they sometimes use bigger numbers to express time after midnight, such as 25:00 for 1am. This way of expression is mainly used for opening hours of business, like a bar displays their opening time for 18:00-26:00 instead of 18:00-2:00. By doing this, no one misunderstands they open until 2pm. This is only for midnight hours and never used for time after sunrise. I wonder if any other countries use this kind of expression.
I like this. It's easier to visualize 18:00-26:00 (clearly eight hours, clearly past midnight) than 18:00-2:00.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:01 PM

8,486 posts, read 4,733,015 times
I don’t think it’s a language thing.

Even in the US, where it’s known as “military time” for obvious reasons, it’s used in the trucking industry, for example, which is often a 24/7 proposition, so it erases any doubt about when you’re due to arrive.

I run on 24h time as the son of an immigrant AND as a former trucker, and am not entirely sure of the logic behind the whole AM/PM thing. It’s never made particular sense to me, and it’s definitely not a matter of language.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I run on 24h time as the son of an immigrant AND as a former trucker, and am not entirely sure of the logic behind the whole AM/PM thing. It’s never made particular sense to me, and it’s definitely not a matter of language.
Of course, when people only had analog clocks, which was quite a long span of time, they tended to think about time in terms of 1 to 12. Looking at a clock face that says 3:15 and converting that into 15:15 requires a double think. It is a lot easier to say 3:15 PM.

At any rate, it seems logical to me! Of course, now that we have digital it's just as easy to make the clock run from 0 to 24.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:57 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Looking at a clock face that says 3:15 and converting that into 15:15 requires a double think. It is a lot easier to say 3:15 PM.
Not if you are used to it.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Not if you are used to it.
I'm sure people get used to it, but any time one has to look at one number or word and say a different one, there is a bit of mental effort. So no, it's not as easy to look at 8 and say 20 as it is to look at 8 and say 8, especially if you have to switch back and forth throughout the day.

As I said, though, digital clocks take care of this problem. I was just explaining the "logic" of using AM/PM instead of having to convert analog clock time for half the day.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:21 AM

290 posts, read 151,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Looking at a clock face that says 3:15 and converting that into 15:15 requires a double think. It is a lot easier to say 3:15 PM.
There are clock faces which have the regular 1-12 in large figures around the outer edge as usual and 13-23 plus 00 or 24 in smaller, often red, figures on an inside circle. We often used to see these in Britain in places like railway stations and other places where the 24-hour system is used extensively.

Although relatively rare, there are also clock mechanisms in which the hour hand takes 24 hours to make a full circle with a corresponding face having 0/24 at the top and 12 at the bottom, with 6 at the normal 3 o'clock position and 18 at the normal 9 o'clock position.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
Although relatively rare, there are also clock mechanisms in which the hour hand takes 24 hours to make a full circle with a corresponding face having 0/24 at the top and 12 at the bottom, with 6 at the normal 3 o'clock position and 18 at the normal 9 o'clock position.
Now that would take getting used to!

At least, for those of us who are old enough that reading a regular analog clock, even without any numbers at all, is automatic.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:39 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t think it’s a language thing.

am not entirely sure of the logic behind the whole AM/PM thing. It’s never made particular sense to me, and it’s definitely not a matter of language.

This! ^^^
I agree.
A day has 24 hrs, to me, there is no reason to divide it: 2x12 hrs (or AM/PM)
When I look at a digital clock, in my mind I visualize an analog clock. It's much easier to me to use it as a pie when I am adding or subtracting hours/minutes.
Six hours is a half, three hours is a quarter of the pie. Then I go from there.
I am a visual thinker and process things visually. I can much better memorize things by seeing them.
On a digital clock, I just see the numbers and would need to do actual math to add or subtract the hours/minutes.

We use 24 hrs day. And yes, in a casual conversation we usually say: see you at 6 or lunch is at 1. It's just a common sense that we don't mean lunch at 1am or date at 6am. When someone works 8-5 shift and the meeting is at 2, it goes without saying that the meeting is at 2pm. However, on a work bulletin or email it will be 14:00 hrs, because that's an official announcement.
We sometimes say something like: see you tomorrow evening, is 5 ok?
Or: I will be leaving Tuesday morning at 7. It means 7am, but doesn't need additional explanation.

Official times like transportation schedules are always 0-24hrs, same with official announcements, documents or statements.

Actually, only eighteen (18) countries use the 12-hour clock: Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, Colombia, Egypt, El Salvador, Honduras, India, Ireland, Jordan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia and U.S. (although the military uses the 24-hour clock).
Eighteen out of 195 countries in the world.

https://medium.com/street-science/wh...k-4215895d6899
Funny but true...

Last edited by elnina; 04-16-2022 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Link added

Old 04-17-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A day has 24 hrs, to me, there is no reason to divide it: 2x12 hrs (or AM/PM)
When I look at a digital clock, in my mind I visualize an analog clock. It's much easier to me to use it as a pie when I am adding or subtracting hours/minutes.
I'm not getting the logic here. I also visualize time on a clock face, but if we are visualizing an analog clock, we are visualizing 12 hours at a time, not 24. The day is divided into two "analog clock faces" of 12 hours each.

Quote:
And yes, in a casual conversation we usually say: see you at 6 or lunch is at 1. It's just a common sense that we don't mean lunch at 1am or date at 6am. When someone works 8-5 shift and the meeting is at 2, it goes without saying that the meeting is at 2pm. However, on a work bulletin or email it will be 14:00 hrs, because that's an official announcement.
We sometimes say something like: see you tomorrow evening, is 5 ok?
Or: I will be leaving Tuesday morning at 7. It means 7am, but doesn't need additional explanation.
Of course people don't include "AM" or "PM" when they don't need to. Sometimes one does need to clarify, but as your own experience shows, most of the time either saying "AM/PM" or expressing time with a 24-hour clock is not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World