Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is globalization good or bad?
Globalization is good 24 47.06%
Globalization is bad 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 04:55 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times

Advertisements

So, is globalization good or bad?

What you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 05:16 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Finding something worse than globalization isn't easy though. I mean climate change, meteor impact or this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fatality_rates

Old 04-01-2022, 05:36 PM

572 posts, read 279,269 times
Without globalization China would not have been able to lift the most millions of people in the shortest time out of poverty.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Finding something worse than globalization isn't easy though. I mean climate change, meteor impact or this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fatality_rates
Dengue haemorrhagic fever is no fun, bro... We know "dengue hemorragica" here in Brazil, and believe me, it's terrible...

Old 04-01-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
Without globalization China would not have been able to lift the most millions of people in the shortest time out of poverty.
what about India?

Old 04-01-2022, 06:10 PM

572 posts, read 279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
what about India?
Democracy is messy.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:22 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
So, is globalization good or bad?

What you think?
If you want your country to be like other countries, then globalization is good.

If you want your country to have a distinct identity, then globalization is not so good.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:29 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I didn't vote because I think that it depends on the level and type of leadership, laws, and regulations involved with a globalization scheme.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:49 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
I voted bad , but I'm going to expand on that a bit since my views on this subject are somewhat nuanced .

Not every aspect of globalization is negative , after all one wouldn't be able to ( f.ex ) obtain products from halfway around the world if it was , yet many/possibly most issues that are brought up in relation to the term globalization tend to be negative in my view .

For instance I am quite opposed to vast sprawling trade arrangements which have a tendency towards concentration benefiting a few actors ( such as the European Single Market ) since they oftentimes offer little opportunity for most of the participants to properly manage their economic needs in a way that's best suited for themselves .

Of course it is indeed frequently very advantageous for countries that are incapable of achieving economic autarky to enter into mutually beneficial trade deals , nonetheless the lack of flexibility involved in many of these deals is quite off putting in my view .

Going further the cultural/social aspects of globalization are even more objectionable in my view , since I'm not sure if a single good aspect of said phenomenon can be thought of .

The fact that the same sort of multinational franchise businesses ( e.g. McDonald's ) can be found in locations all across the globe , along with the fact that one can see all sorts of people wearing the same sort of clothing/holding the same electronic gadgets/being interested in the same social media trending events in practically every developed country in this day and age makes the world all the less interesting and diverse IMHO .

Naturally much of what I've mentioned is a matter of subjective aesthetic preference/unavoidable to a great extent as the result of technological innovation , yet I doubt it can be denied that the ( to reference Russell Kirk ) variety and mystery of human existence is not at all proliferating in this age due to the incredible amounts of uniformity which exist now on a global scale as the result of globalization .

In short while I'm not one to completely object to everything that has to do with what's called globalization , I find that there are far more negative aspects of said term than positive .

Old 04-04-2022, 05:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
On whether its a good or a bad thing might depend on whether the world becomes a free Democratic world like the West or a world of oppression like China, Russia and the Borg cube that is North Korea. Lets all hope and pray that freedom wins out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World