Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 08:38 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times

Advertisements

I think that maybe they take baking, especially bread, more seriously in some other countries - like France, where it can be a political issue.

The NYT's recent magazine section was mostly a photography spread showcasing ordinary Ukrainians bravely forging on, and I thought this was touching.

Five years ago, Vladyslav Malashchenko, 26, opened Good Bread From Good People, a bakery that employs adults with mental or psychological disabilities and specializes in cakes and hot lunches. On the day before Russian Army units rolled onto Ukrainian soil, Malashchenko, sensing the impending crisis, held a meeting with the staff, in which they decided to stop selling to individual customers and bake bread for the public good.
They quickly procured an additional 150 kilograms of flour and set to work. “I am not militant in my nature,” Malashchenko said, “but I can bake bread.” Throughout the opening weeks of the conflict, the bakery produced about 300 loaves of bread a day, almost all of which it has given away — some to a home for adults with cognitive disabilities, the rest to volunteer organizations, which distribute it in Kyiv. Malashchenko plans to keep baking. “Now, at this time of great need in Kyiv,” he said, “we need to continue our work.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-war-kyiv.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 06:16 AM

21 posts, read 18,613 times
I think that the theme of bread and bread itself as a product is a symbol of those agrarian countries that faced genocide and their main food for a long time was bread.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,592,835 times
It's worth a trip to Kyrgyzstan just for the bread. These are not jusst coffee buns, they are full-size family loaves, over a foot in diameter..
https://www.google.com/search?q=kyrg...ih=456&dpr=1.5

The design is based inthe Kyrgyz flag motif.
There is amazing bread any place the Russians have been.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:03 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,355,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
It's worth a trip to Kyrgyzstan just for the bread. These are not jusst coffee buns, they are full-size family loaves, over a foot in diameter..

I didn't know that Kyrgyz bread was so well known - but I was aware of how Ukraine is known for great bread. Not a surprise since Ukraine is such a large producer of wheat, rye and other grains.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithentelus View Post
I think that the theme of bread and bread itself as a product is a symbol of those agrarian countries that faced genocide and their main food for a long time was bread.
And, of course bread - "the staff of life" - can be hugely nutritious if it's the real thing, not just packaged Wonder Bread.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Bread is a staple with meals here in France. There’s even bread etiquette. Lol and we have bread “vending” machines all over town
I bake baguettes in the oven or no knead artisan bread in my Dutch oven….every day. ( prep the night before). I have a 10 year old starter for sourdough baguettes…. Yummy stuff!
We just pulled some stumps and plowed a couple of acres to grow some wheat so we can make our own flour.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:32 AM

27,131 posts, read 13,424,152 times
The new British national 'platinum pudding' to mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee will be announced on the 12th May 2022 by Dame Mary Berry and the Duchess of Cornwall.

The new Platinum Jubilee pudding follows a long tradition of inventive baking in honour of royal celebrations, from Coronation Chicken for the Queen’s coronation, to the Victoria sponge named after Queen Victoria.

The ultimate showstopper! Dame Mary Berry joins the Duchess of Cornwall to announce the winner of a competition to design a 'platinum pudding' for the Queen's Jubilee - Daily Mail

Old 05-15-2022, 06:32 AM

27,131 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Platinum Jubilee pudding winner is Lemon and amaretti trifle which was inspired by the lemon posset served at the Queen's wedding to Prince Philip.

The Lemon Swiss roll and amaretti trifle Platinum Pudding recipe - Lemon Swiss roll and amaretti trifle - BBC Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

A lemon and Swiss roll amaretti trifle is to be the official pudding for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee after winning a competition to find a new dessert.

Jemma Melvin created the dessert, inspired by the lemon posset served at the Queen's wedding to Prince Philip.

The trifle is made with layers of lemon curd swiss roll, custard, jelly, a mandarin coulis and amaretti biscuits.

It will join the ranks of royal-inspired dishes, such as coronation chicken and Victoria sponge.

Platinum Jubilee: Lemon and amaretti trifle to be official pudding - BBC News

Old 06-12-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:

My goodness! Aren't there some people who emigrated to America and set up bakeries here?

I'd love to try that.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:18 PM

26,772 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:

Russia used to have the best bread in the world, end of.

In post-Soviet capitalism, when they learned to give bread "longer shelf life" the quality of it became poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World