Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 08:25 AM

1,260 posts, read 934,244 times

Advertisements

What are some cities that are loved, adored, and highly visited by international visitors, but the domestic populations overall tends to prefer other cities?

In the US I get the sense of that with NYC. For international visitors, no doubt this is their number one city in the US to visit and also tends to be the favorite for many. Whole for most Americans, while many do like NYC, it tends not to be their favorite city in the US usually you see cities like Chicago, SF, Seattle, Boston as preferred cities by the domestic population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 05:00 PM

3,903 posts, read 6,710,076 times
Well, I don't think Rio de Janeiro is the favorite destiny for Brazilian domestic tourists...

Old 05-07-2022, 10:20 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,290,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
What are some cities that are loved, adored, and highly visited by international visitors, but the domestic populations overall tends to prefer other cities?

In the US I get the sense of that with NYC. For international visitors, no doubt this is their number one city in the US to visit and also tends to be the favorite for many. Whole for most Americans, while many do like NYC, it tends not to be their favorite city in the US usually you see cities like Chicago, SF, Seattle, Boston as preferred cities by the domestic population.
Def true for NYC but locals love it. Not so much the rest of the country but I think it has to do with the fact that they cant afford to live here & theyre jealous we can

Old 05-08-2022, 05:36 AM

954 posts, read 366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post

Any evidence to support that? NYC with insane "bail" reform and draconian covid stuff has probably taken a hit. Chicago was always popular for mid westerners but even in recent years thugs come north of the River and mess with people. SF was always a hotspot but they must be taking a big decline these days.
Seattle?

Vegas has to be 1 or 2. Miami would be on the list, likely Orlando. Some combo of LA/Orange County as well.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:59 PM

792 posts, read 451,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Any evidence to support that? NYC with insane "bail" reform and draconian covid stuff has probably taken a hit. Chicago was always popular for mid westerners but even in recent years thugs come north of the River and mess with people. SF was always a hotspot but they must be taking a big decline these days.
Seattle?

Vegas has to be 1 or 2. Miami would be on the list, likely Orlando. Some combo of LA/Orange County as well.
NYC is just fine and many Americans love the city because of its #1 standing in this country and top five standing across the globe.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:58 PM

6,331 posts, read 11,860,944 times
LA is one that I can think of. Many international visitors love it, especially the Japanese but Americans don't care for it, especially Californians outside of LA.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:34 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,239,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
LA is one that I can think of. Many international visitors love it, especially the Japanese but Americans don't care for it, especially Californians outside of LA.
might be a japanese thing ? , San Fran is always spoken of more fondly in my experience , LA viewed as a big endless sprawl and grotty enough around the likes of Hollywood

Old 05-13-2022, 11:47 AM

6,331 posts, read 11,860,944 times
Actually, I think Tokyo might be another one. It seems like most Japanese who live outside the city/prefecture don't particularly care for it. Most of my family who lives in Kanagawa Prefecture much prefer Yokohama by a long shot.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM

5,326 posts, read 5,055,961 times
Seems like big / capital cities anywhere would fit this bill. The locals already know their countries culture and more hidden gems, international tourists can't get to those as easy. For your big special trip, you don't mind paying capital city prices, locals balk at that more, the US included.

Likewise international tourists funnel into the 1-4 cities in the countries where they can go to without many connecting flights, locals can just drive or catch a direct flight to where they want to be, so even if they wanted to go to rural Spain, it's a bit harder to get there.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:57 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,134,931 times
Stavanger, Norway. Thousands of foreign cruise tourists flood the streets during the summer months (at least pre-COVID). I am not sure why, as the city itself is not that special. Norwegians would rather visit Bergen or go abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World