Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
USA 3 4.92%
China 5 8.20%
Japan 29 47.54%
Switzerland 5 8.20%
Germany 6 9.84%
France 3 4.92%
Italy 2 3.28%
Canada 0 0%
UK 1 1.64%
Other 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 04:15 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What a load of nonsense, an off peak return from Brighton to London is £13.70 and not £40, and the same is true of Cambridge and Oxford.

The service is also very good, as the line between Brighton and Cambridge is part of the fantastic new Thameslink.
The fact that such a short distance has peak and "off peak" prices is nonsense on its own. Peak price IS close to or even over £50. I know because I have taken it.

The service is very good if you've never taken trains elsewhere I suppose, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 04:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 17 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The fact that such a short distance has peak and "off peak" prices is nonsense on its own. Peak price IS close to or even over £50. I know because I have taken it.

The service is very good if you've never taken trains elsewhere I suppose, lol.
Any one who thinks Thameslink is not a good service, has never been to the UK and is just pretending to have knowledge about the country.

Thameslink is the best train line in the whole of Europe and that's that' My London (July 2021)

No it's not nonsense, it allows a separation of those passengers who are travelling for business and work between 7 am and 9 am, as well as 4 pm and 6 pm, and leisure passengers who can travel later for a lesser amount.

Peak times are more expensive but not to the extent you make out, and most regular uses of peak time services buy a season ticket, thereby making journeys far cheaper.

You can buy a Season Ticket for seven days or any period between one month and a year:

Seven Days -You can use the ticket at any time during any seven day period for travel between the points shown on the ticket - the more you travel, the more you save!

Flexi Season - Valid for travel at any time on any 8 in 28 days. Offers great savings against buying Anytime Day tickets and allows you to choose which days to travel.

One month - Monthly Season Tickets offer great savings compared to buying four individual Seven Day season tickets.

Over one month - Season Tickets can also be purchased for any duration between one month and one year.

Season Tickets - National Rail Enquires

Cheap day returns have always been very popular, as have other concessions, an adult railcard gives you 1/3rd off rail fares straight away, whilst there are also concessionary cards in relation to -

About Railcards - Railcard

Network Railcard
16-25 Railcard
26-30 Railcard
Two Together Railcard
Family & Friends Railcard
Senior Railcard
Veterans Railcard
Disabled Persons Railcard

You may also want to check out our Regional Railcards to see if there are discounts for travelling to and from where you are.

Under 5 Travel free, accompanied by a fare-paying passenger.

5-15 Are eligible for a 50% discount on most tickets, though proof of age will need to be carried where appropriate.

16-17 Saver Like a Railcard but with bigger discounts for anyone aged 16 or 17.

National Rail Enquiry Service

There are also lots of cheap on-line deals, and fares are being simplified further with the introduction of Great British Railways, which will replace Network Rail in 2023.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-28-2022 at 04:58 AM..

Old 05-28-2022, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Any one who thinks Thameslink is not a good service, has never been to the UK and is just pretending to have knowledge about the country.

Thameslink is the best train line in the whole of Europe and that's that' My London (July 2021)

No it's not nonsense, it allows a separation of those passengers who are travelling for business and work between 7 am and 9 am, as well as 4 pm and 6 pm, and leisure passengers who can travel later for a lesser amount.

Peak times are more expensive but not to the extent you make out, and most regular uses of peak time services buy a season ticket, thereby making journeys far cheaper.

Cheap day returns have always been very popular, as have other concessions, an adult railcard gives you 1/3rd off rail fares straight away, whilst there are also concessionary cards in relation to -
Lmao I took Thameslink almost every day for a whole year.

If you buy tickets on the spot, it is exactly that expensive.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Lmao I took Thameslink almost every day for a whole year.

If you buy tickets on the spot, it is exactly that expensive.
$51 Dollars equates to £40 return for a 120 mile round trip, which is £20 each way, however if you had bought a season ticket or rail card, this would have been significantly reduced, and it should be noted you are talking about a journey of over 60 odd miles outside of London or over 120 miles return, and the equivalent of using the NYC Long Island Rail Road or other such lines in to major cities, which are expensive especially at peak times.

You also seemed to ignore the boxes stating best fares for your journey £10.62 or super off peak $25.88.

I think the fact you paid that without buying a season ticket or rail card, says more about you than anything else.

Furthermore if you worked in Cambridge, why not live there it's cheaper than London and you could have saved the travel fare and also saved yourself a lot of time.

British train companies maximise revenue by selling tickets more cheaply ahead of time, when trains are emptier, in order to fill seats, and for much higher prices on the day. This is partly because UK train companies get more of their money from passengers rather than through government subsidies, however there is currently an on-going review with changes being announced next year as part of the launch of Great British Railways.

The European Commission published a report in 2016 that compared different types of train fares.

The UK had the fourth most expensive regional, peak, single fares bought on the day of travel, behind Switzerland, Slovenia and Spain. So the Swiss system actually can be expensive.

The UK was the third most expensive if bought a week or a month in advance.

For off-peak, return, regional fares the UK was 12th for on the day and 11th for a week or a month in advance.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-28-2022 at 05:51 AM..

Old 05-28-2022, 08:08 AM

402 posts, read 273,921 times
Bulgarian trains are bad but at least they're cheaper than a coach.
If Western Europe was really about "protecting the environment" wouldn't you make the train fares cheaper than those gas-guzzling coaches? Taking a train is far more comfortable anyway, larger seats, more space, you can stand up and walk, they have a WC etc. They're also safer, I bet buses have more accidents. I prefer not using coaches for distances of more than 15-20 miles.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
$51 Dollars equates to £40 return for a 120 mile round trip, which is £20 each way, however if you had bought a season ticket or rail card, this would have been significantly reduced, and it should be noted you are talking about a journey of over 60 odd miles outside of London or over 120 miles return, and the equivalent of using the NYC Long Island Rail Road or other such lines in to major cities, which are expensive especially at peak times.

You also seemed to ignore the boxes stating best fares for your journey £10.62 or super off peak $25.88.

I think the fact you paid that without buying a season ticket or rail card, says more about you than anything else.

Furthermore if you worked in Cambridge, why not live there it's cheaper than London and you could have saved the travel fare and also saved yourself a lot of time.

British train companies maximise revenue by selling tickets more cheaply ahead of time, when trains are emptier, in order to fill seats, and for much higher prices on the day. This is partly because UK train companies get more of their money from passengers rather than through government subsidies, however there is currently an on-going review with changes being announced next year as part of the launch of Great British Railways.

The European Commission published a report in 2016 that compared different types of train fares.

The UK had the fourth most expensive regional, peak, single fares bought on the day of travel, behind Switzerland, Slovenia and Spain. So the Swiss system actually can be expensive.

For off-peak, return, regional fares the UK was 12th for on the day and 11th for a week or a month in advance.
Why would a tourist buy a seasonal ticket or rail card? For tourists UK trains are extremely expensive and the quality is subpar. That is a fact.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:42 AM

908 posts, read 441,596 times
I really don't have too much experience regarding this matter , but as far as the quality of my extremely limited journeys by train have gone , I'd have to say I've found Austria to be the best country in that regard .

My journey by train from Vienna to Leobendorf was easily the best train trip I've ever taken , in spite of its rather short length as such .

Old 05-28-2022, 12:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

NYC commuter rail / Amtrak national rail prices are admittedly quite high especially as Amtrak is forced to be self sufficient so it tries to squeeze as much profit out of the northeast corridor as possible. It's also arguably run in a very suboptimal fashion. I would not use NYC as a basis of comparison as those tickets are quite expensive. NYC subways though are very inexpensive! However, I would certainly not rank the US or even just the relatively well-served Northeastern US anywhere near the top for best trains.

Yes, the major thing that dings the Swiss system is that it's very expensive. However, it's so clean, reliable, frequent, extensive, and just plain nice especially given the size and population of the country that I think it still has a decent shot at the top. Spain also has a very wide expanse of high speed rail throughout the country and its cities have great rapid transit systems that are fairly inexpensive. Don't know much about Slovenia. I would love to see this report though!

Old 05-28-2022, 03:50 PM

402 posts, read 273,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
I really don't have too much experience regarding this matter , but as far as the quality of my extremely limited journeys by train have gone , I'd have to say I've found Austria to be the best country in that regard .

My journey by train from Vienna to Leobendorf was easily the best train trip I've ever taken , in spite of its rather short length as such .
I agree. I'll also like to give a nod to Czech railways. I've taken a Flixbus from Bratislava to Prague and also a train. With the bus I hated the trip and was too tired. With the train I liked it and didn't feel so tired. Also, it seems like in that part of Europe they have traffic jams on highways which is weird to me. My bus from Dresden to Prague got in such a highway jam, and the one from Vienna airport to Bratislava as well. My lesson is to always prefer trains to coaches in A/CZ/SK/HU whenever possible.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Why would a tourist buy a seasonal ticket or rail card? For tourists UK trains are extremely expensive and the quality is subpar. That is a fact.
You stated you spent a year in the UK, so weren't a tourists.

As for tourists there are all kinds of discounted options from visitor oyster cars to 7 day Rover or weekly rail cards as well as a BritRail Pass.

Railcards and passes - Scenic Britain

I have seen a lot of big improvements in terms of British Rail Services, including new rolling stock, line upgrades and unprecedented investment, and I don't find them sub-par at all, whilst in terms of being expensive that is only due to the fact the system is designed in relation to pre-booking, seasonal cards and concessionary rail cards, and the same is true of Transport for London.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-29-2022 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World