Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which nation/state/province do you choose?
England 7 26.92%
New South Wales 5 19.23%
Ontario 4 15.38%
California 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,481,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuoku View Post
I mean...for brevity's sake, I didn't include it or Ireland. They're both too small.

Yeah, I guess very few people have heard of Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 11:19 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,268,488 times
Just to nit-pick, where did the climate classifications for NSW come from? I am not aware of anywhere in the state with a Mediterranean climate?

Also, Albury is in NSW and Wodonga is in Victoria. They are twin cities and are the locality is generally referred to as AlburyWodonga.

The ethnic data for NSW actually refers to the heritages nominated when census is performed. One can identify multiple heritages.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:51 AM

21 posts, read 17,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Just to nit-pick, where did the climate classifications for NSW come from? I am not aware of anywhere in the state with a Mediterranean climate?

Also, Albury is in NSW and Wodonga is in Victoria. They are twin cities and are the locality is generally referred to as AlburyWodonga.

The ethnic data for NSW actually refers to the heritages nominated when census is performed. One can identify multiple heritages.
I may have made some mistakes, but that information was largely taken from Wikipedia pages and compiled here. The cross-border city got me. Oops.

Here's the Koppen climate map for NSW. It does have Mediterranean climates:

Old 05-20-2022, 12:52 AM

21 posts, read 17,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yeah, I guess very few people have heard of Ireland.
...As I said, it's too small. It doesn't have prominent sub-regional entities.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I may have made some mistakes, but that information was largely taken from Wikipedia pages and compiled here. The cross-border city got me. Oops.

Here's the Koppen climate map for NSW. It does have Mediterranean climates:
I cannot see any but not really important. Mediterranean climates have a dry summer and our rainfall along the coast is much the same all year. Also our climate has always been very unpredictable, this year it has been very wet all summer and autumn. Raining again today. The only good thing is that it is lighter rain than we were getting in March.

Have no idea what classification it came from but at school we were taught that Sydney’s climate is Eastern Maritime warm temperate.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:09 AM

Another minor issue is that the data from our Census last year has not been released yet. Progressively released from next month. So all data available on heritages etc is from 2016. One would expect to see a drop of people nominating heritages such as Italian Greek Maltese etc as the generation of post war immigrants are dying out. There will be a big increase in Indian and Chinese, who are the largest groups of current immigrants. People like our friends who are British Pakistani heritage, or others who are Cambodian Chinese and Italian will probably just have nominated Australian. As they are!

Old 05-20-2022, 05:35 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
I mean...for brevity's sake, I didn't include it or Ireland. They're both too small.
New Zealand is bigger than England

Old 05-20-2022, 06:00 AM

26,876 posts, read 13,094,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This thread made me LOL.

Firstly it uses England rather than the UK and then doesn't take in to account that it's easier to get in to European regions from England than it is to get to sub-regions in the other areas mentioned.

It's only 1 hour 22 mins by Eurostar from London to Lille in France, 1 hour 48 mins to Brussels, 2 hours 15 minutes London to Paris and even London to Marseille take around 6 hours and 19 minutes. There are also new direct services planned to Cologne, Dusseldorf and Dortmund, with the further direct services to places such as Bordeaux and Barcelona.

The rail network will now be able to reach Germany thanks to merger with French-Belgian operator Thalys.

The deal between the operator and French-Belgian high-speed operator Thalys has been approved by the European Commission, and will allow passengers to travel by rail to Germany.

As for the UK itself, High Speed 2, a new high speed rail link is set to significantly cut journey times, as will the East Coast Mainline Upgrade.

Homepage - HS2

East Coast Upgrade

HS2 plan to join East Coast Mainline at Newark - BBC News

Eurostar - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-20-2022 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-20-2022, 07:22 AM

22,219 posts, read 21,481,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It's a shame you aren't as honest with weather statistics - why would you go on to a weather forum, and use knowingly false statistics? ... is winning an argument that important to you?

Old 05-20-2022, 07:25 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's a shame you aren't as honest with weather statistics - why would you go on to a weather forum, and use knowingly false statistics? ... is winning an argument that important to you?
I don't use 'false statistics' Joe, I provided the links, go look at em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World