Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 05:53 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is an old assessment, but I doubt it changed much over the years:
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ly_report.html

Canadians are more focused on what they need: non-discretionary items including housing and food.
Americans have higher per capita income and more wealth than Canadians.
It also takes a lot more to be in the top 1 per cent (the wealthiest) in the U.S. than it does in Canada. The one-percenters in the U.S. earn much more than those in the top 1 per cent in Canada.
It really speaks to the different consumer bases between the two countries.

I wonder if that high spending in the US has something to do with the price for education and health care they pay.
Good article. Thanks for posting it. I'd imagine if Covid didn't happen that things would largely be the same but it would be interesting to see if Covid has changed these habits in both countries and if so, if it will be a long term thing. The pandemic changed my life a lot. I am now a remote worker and bought a home for example. Two things I never even imagined happening prior to covid as housing was way too expensive close to my workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 08:45 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Say two adjacent town. One is a traditional working class town where Mom puts home-cooked dinner on the family table every night. The other is a college town where students in dorms order pizza delivery and beeer every night.

How could we judge anything by comparing the per capita food expenditures of the two towns?

Old 07-06-2022, 08:49 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Part of this is that the USA has extremely low tariffs for goods coming in. That reduces the sales price of the goods so that people can afford to buy lots of them. Goods from China can be sold cheap, and just about everything comes from China, so Americans can buy their fill.

In other countries, high tariffs make good much less affordable. In Uruguay, as an example, import tariffs are equal to or higher than the value of the goods. The very effectively doubles the price of anything that has been imported, and since Uruguay has no manufacturing industry, everything is imported. That limits how much the citizens there can purchase.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:18 AM

648 posts, read 216,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Part of this is that the USA has extremely low tariffs for goods coming in. That reduces the sales price of the goods so that people can afford to buy lots of them. Goods from China can be sold cheap, and just about everything comes from China, so Americans can buy their fill.

In other countries, high tariffs make good much less affordable. In Uruguay, as an example, import tariffs are equal to or higher than the value of the goods. The very effectively doubles the price of anything that has been imported, and since Uruguay has no manufacturing industry, everything is imported. That limits how much the citizens there can purchase.

Try to import a city bus from Europe to the United States and see how "easy" that is. It's basically impossible.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM

572 posts, read 279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
No, it has the problem that it is inexact. We can know the exact number of "capitas" and precisely define a capita. Sadly, statisticians overestimate the capacity of users to use common sense when interpreting the stats.
What does that mean?

Old 07-06-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
What does that mean?
Take a wild guess. I thought it was stated pretty clearly, as meaning the opposite of the post I responded to. I think you ca figure it out.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM

648 posts, read 216,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Independent sovereign republics that are relatively massive in geographic land territory amount have some extra room to stay closed off with Multinational trading of Import/Exports. China, India, Australia, Brazil, USA scored low in the topic theme map. Canada is the only sole exception.

Smaller countries, including even the medium range ones, have almost no other choice but to combine trading of products branding with other foreign representative units. See the Dark Green for Netherlands, Belgium, Czech Republic, Austria, South Korea, Taiwan, UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Georgia, Armenia. Up to Vietnam.

Once the republic reaches Medium High like Turkey, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, officially leaving the urgent need to engage with Goods of other geopolitical outside regions.

For standards of Weight, Vietnam probably scored well with high quality expressing in what to sell to consumers/and outsiders. Or is Vietnam even more fatter than expected!? Just like Thailand!?
For judgement of quality I would rather refer to the trade balance or current account balance (CAB).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ccount_balance

Old 07-07-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Take a wild guess. I thought it was stated pretty clearly, as meaning the opposite of the post I responded to. I think you ca figure it out.
Allowing that you were responding to yourself......

I asked the question for two reasons: (1) You seem to be contradicting yourself in earlier postings # 7 and # 9; (2) the statement I questioned managed to convey stereotypes of both statisticians and the users of statistics. I'm interested to learn what evidence you have to support that, because if correct, it could have profound implications for all kinds of decisions.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
Allowing that you were responding to yourself......

I asked the question for two reasons: (1) You seem to be contradicting yourself in earlier postings # 7 and # 9; (2) the statement I questioned managed to convey stereotypes of both statisticians and the users of statistics. I'm interested to learn what evidence you have to support that, because if correct, it could have profound implications for all kinds of decisions.
You're right, the replies gut jumbled. That happens when you try to deefend yourself from varying disputants. I think if you read my posts, they are sound and clear. Unless one is determined to attack then, no matter what. Get back to me with a direct question if you still think my premises are faulty/

Old 07-08-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You're right, the replies gut jumbled. That happens when you try to deefend yourself from varying disputants. I think if you read my posts, they are sound and clear. Unless one is determined to attack then, no matter what. Get back to me with a direct question if you still think my premises are faulty/
Here's a direct question.....
What evidence do you have for your claim that statisticians overestimate the capacity of users to use common sense when interpreting the statistics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World