Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 06:26 AM

648 posts, read 217,834 times

Advertisements

The actual individual consumption (AIC) per capita in dollars adjusted for purchasing power (PPP) for OECD countries.

Here are the top 10 for 2019:

1. United States: 47,815
2. Luxembourg: 43,475
3. Norway: 37,341
4. Switzerland: 35,695
5. Germany: 35,588
6. Austria: 34,343
7. United Kingdom: 33,948
8. Denmark: 33,760
9. Netherlands: 33,539
10. Canada: 33,507

Source: https://stats.oecd.org/

Here is the full list.

For more information about actual individual consumption see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 08:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,611,788 times
Americans consume 40% more than Canadians. Does that make you fee more satisfied? When you visit Canada, can you see the difference? Only three to a family, instead of four?

Old 07-04-2022, 09:23 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
There is nothing wrong with consuming more, as long as your budget allows. Consuming goods provides jobs.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Americans consume 40% more than Canadians. Does that make you fee more satisfied? When you visit Canada, can you see the difference? Only three to a family, instead of four?
Since the value is on a per capita base, the size of a family doesn't matter here. But if you ask me whether I see a difference between Canada and the United States? Not so much. I would even argue, that Canadian cities are better maintained and that it has less poor people. Those numbers don't tell us anything about the distribution of the consumption anyway. There may be more McMansions, more yachts and golf courses or other little toys for the rich in the US that explain the difference. On the other hand, Canadians may have a more frugal lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is nothing wrong with consuming more, as long as your budget allows. Consuming goods provides jobs.
I am not so sure the budget allows it. A lot of inflated assets in the US.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:36 AM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times
I consume far more than I need to be happy. I don't consider it a good thing so much as a bad habit. I would never be a minimalist, but I know I over consume everything from food to toys. There is no right number, but there is the concept of moderation.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnerwetter View Post
Since the value is on a per capita base, the size of a family doesn't matter here. But if you ask me whether I see a difference between Canada and the United States? Not so much. I would even argue, that Canadian cities are better maintained and that it has less poor people. Those numbers don't tell us anything about the distribution of the consumption anyway. There may be more McMansions, more yachts and golf courses or other little toys for the rich in the US that explain the difference. On the other hand, Canadians may have a more frugal lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with it.
There aren't many things that are consumed uniformly by adults and children. Very few people, in any country, consume goods or services as isolated ndividuals. If you are seeking a realistic and meaningful picture, it is more indicative to visualize consumption per purchasing unit, which is family or household.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:04 AM

Quote:
There aren't many things that are consumed uniformly by adults and children. Very few people, in any country, consume goods or services as isolated ndividuals. If you are seeking a realistic and meaningful picture, it is more indicative to visualize consumption per purchasing unit, which is family or household.
The "per capita" measure is the gold standard for many metrics like GDP. "Per household/family" has the problem, that a household/family size can vary.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:01 AM

Quote:

No, it has the problem that it is inexact. We can know the exact number of "capitas" and precisely define a capita. Sadly, statisticians overestimate the capacity of users to use common sense when interpreting the stats.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:04 AM

61,812 posts, read 87,269,132 times
This is an old assessment, but I doubt it changed much over the years:
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ly_report.html

Canadians are more focused on what they need: non-discretionary items including housing and food.
Americans have higher per capita income and more wealth than Canadians.
It also takes a lot more to be in the top 1 per cent (the wealthiest) in the U.S. than it does in Canada. The one-percenters in the U.S. earn much more than those in the top 1 per cent in Canada.
It really speaks to the different consumer bases between the two countries.

I wonder if that high spending in the US has something to do with the price for education and health care they pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World