Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 08:48 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,997 times

Advertisements

If you could be anywhere in the world for the month of July-but only that month- where would you wish to be? This would be for any July, though 2023 is the year I'm considering for myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 10:51 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
July? Coastal Maine.

Without a doubt. The weather is perfect, tons of port cities to explore, great cuisine, great hiking, great state.

Other places in the world:
Munich, Germany
Salzburg, Austria
Melbourne, Australia
Dublin, Ireland
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Old 08-16-2022, 11:09 PM

389 posts, read 399,729 times
Alaska or Vancouver, British Columbia.

Similar to Maine, however since you on the Pacific, you will get a more Asian/Oriental vibe and can explore Chinatown in Vancouver. You can walk along the bay and explore nature.

A lot of people refer to Vancouver as San Francisco North. It really is similar in terms of terrain and topography. Walk on the hills and take in a view.

Winters are cold in the Pacific NW. You should go now to fully enjoy everything there is to offer.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:24 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
July? Coastal Maine.

Without a doubt. The weather is perfect, tons of port cities to explore, great cuisine, great hiking, great state.

Other places in the world:
Munich, Germany
Salzburg, Austria
Melbourne, Australia
Dublin, Ireland
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Melbourne? Midwinter in Melbourne is not always highly sought!
But I could highly recommend Cairns or Port Douglas.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:50 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
London. Can’t beat London in the summer.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:00 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
London. Can’t beat London in the summer.
I went in July 2016 and it was hot and muggy. There is also no AC.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:33 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Probably Norway or northern Siberia.

I dislike hot or muggy weather, or sweating like a hog.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:14 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
If you could be anywhere in the world for the month of July-but only that month- where would you wish to be? This would be for any July, though 2023 is the year I'm considering for myself
It all depends on what type of preference you have in terms of weather and indeed heat.

In terms of heat, coastal areas are usually popular, part of the Mediterranean and Southern European Atlantic coasts are usually popular, whilst in terms of the US Florida and California are popular, as are areas such as areas such as the Eastern shoreline and exclusive enclaves such as parts of Long Island right up to New England and Cape Cod/Martha's vineyard.

As for Australia has it's winter in July, so will be cooler, whilst parts of the Middle East may be excessively hot.

In terms of Africa it's a vast continent, with a lot of different climates, and the same is true of Asia and South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I went in July 2016 and it was hot and muggy. There is also no AC.
There is usually AC in most public buildings, most public transport, most large retail outlets and reputable hotels will also have AC, as will many reputable theatres and entertainment venues.

However your not likely to find AC in an airbnb or at every single venue you visit.

The UK has some nice coastal areas and beaches to visit in the summer, from Devon and Cornwall in the South West right up to the Scottish Highlands, and so does neighbouring France and other European countries.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-17-2022 at 08:28 AM..

Old 08-17-2022, 10:37 AM

461 posts, read 546,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Melbourne? Midwinter in Melbourne is not always highly sought!
But I could highly recommend Cairns or Port Douglas.
You have to consider the audience here. For example, I live at 7000 ft (2100m) in Colorado and our average January low is 15F (-9C). So, escaping the heat here to Melbourne would be vey attractive to someone like me. I'm lucky that I can go up into the mountains here to cool off, but not everyone has that option.

For reference:

July Weather in Melbourne Australia
Daily high temperatures are around 55°F, rarely falling below 50°F or exceeding 60°F. The lowest daily average high temperature is 55°F on July 9.
Daily low temperatures are around 44°F, rarely falling below 36°F or exceeding 50°F. The lowest daily average low temperature is 43°F on July 23.

44 degrees F is t-shirt weather to me and yes I've been to Melbourne. I have family there.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:33 AM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
Assuming mid-late July, this is a time where places that are pretty much awful year round are accessible and actually very pleasant.

Tofino, Haida Gwaii, Ketchikan in the PNW are lovely this time of year. I would definitely say these are some of the very nicest places in the world in mid-late July - it's not going to be too hot, it's very unlikely to be rainy and these places are gorgeous that are hard to appreciate 9-10 months of the year.

For larger cities, Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle are at its very best as long as they aren't mired in a heat wave.

Coastal Maine, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are also excellent choices.

This is also practically the only time a tourist would want to explore more northerly places - Reykjavik, Nuuk, Iqaluit, or less extreme Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn.

Basically any coastal area that is cold and/or damp from September-May would be excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World