Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:29 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times

Advertisements

Boooooring, I misread it for a second as "time travel" and my thought was: finally!

In a desperate attempt to stay on topic though, pay attention to what actor Paul Bettany says about bridge building at the end of this scene and I agree with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNSdABrKAI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 09:40 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,011,022 times
Fehmarn Belt Tunnel

"After completion of the construction, unprecedented in this dimension as an immersed tunnel, the fixed link across the Fehmarnbelt could become the longest and deepest combined road and rail tunnel in the world. According to the planners, the current 45-minute travel time for crossing the Fehmarnbelt by ferry would be reduced to around ten minutes pure travel time thanks to the underground and weather-independent passage."

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarnbelttunnel

Old 10-26-2022, 03:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Just take a ferry over. Yes you spend money on it, but that is the whole point of an economy. To spread the wealth around by allowing more people to provide a service or product.

This tunnel will just supply some construction jobs for a short period of time, and kill an industry that will be there long term if there is demand. And if there is demand to lower traffic by building tunnel then certainly there is demand for ferries.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpwxL_tWEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCmMmT7OX4

Old 10-26-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Norway is replacing its ferries on the costal E39 highway with bridges and tunnels, not sure what the time savings will be, but I assume it will make a big difference.

https://www.archpaper.com/2019/01/no...records/?amp=1
Waste, just take ferries if you need speedier travel. If not then just take the inland roads. Anyone who is in that much of hurry should have to extra for the speedier ferries. If you build bridges, and tunnels, then everyone is paying for it even if they dont need the more convenient travel time. This is especially true for the smallish towns along the coasts going north to the Arctic circle.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Fist one that comes to mind is the Dublin to Holyhead (Wales) tunnel which has been talked about for years.
Are there really that many people that travel from Dublin to Wales though on a daily basis? Those that do for business likely have deep pockets. They should have to spend on ferries and spread that wealth around more.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Boooooring, I misread it for a second as "time travel" and my thought was: finally!

In a desperate attempt to stay on topic though, pay attention to what actor Paul Bettany says about bridge building at the end of this scene and I agree with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNSdABrKAI
Those 12K people crossing it could have come from anywhere, and probably only had to once in their lives. Yet how much did cost to build, and who pays? All that time saved in the car not having to drive that 35 miles to/from these specific points was likely spent driving somewhere else anyways. So no one really saved any time in the car.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 10-26-2022 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-26-2022, 03:39 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Their would be tons of places if you include bridge's across rivers, that run through cities.

For instance there is not a single Bridge over or tunnel under Sydney Harbor to the east of the Harbor Bridge. So if you want to go from say Vaucluse, to the Taronga park Zoo, which is about 1 km away, over the other side of the harbor. The shortest route by road and public transport is 20 km , unless you have your own boat (which most of the people In Vaucluse may have anyway - its one of the richest areas of Australia)

Old 10-26-2022, 03:39 PM

also I forget to mention the traffic problems that goes along with bridges and Tunnels. Being from NJ/NYC I know all about this.

If there is truly that much demand to travel back and forth, then any kind of funnel like a tunnel or bridge will be jammed up for hours.

So you do not save time. You end up sitting there

Old 10-26-2022, 03:45 PM

But lets keep building these public works projects do developers or mega white collar corporations can make money off the taxpayers.

If this is such a great idea, then the genius who thought it up, can just borrow money, build the bridge, then charge the tolls, make a profit and pay back the loan. Surely, if there is enough demand, this will be feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World