Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,977,970 times

Advertisements

The United States currently designates 19 major non-NATO allies in 3 regions as follows:-

MIDDLE EAST, CENTRAL ASIA AND AFRICA (9):
Bahrain
Egypt
Israel
Jordan
Kuwait
Morocco
Pakistan
Qatar
Tunisia

ASIA-PACIFIC (7):
Australia
Japan
New Zealand
Philippines
South Korea
Taiwan
Thailand

LATIN AMERICA (3):
Argentina
Brazil
Colombia

SOURCE: https://www.state.gov/major-non-nato-ally-status/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 11:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,611,788 times
What about that famous Coalition that we bribed to look the other way during our unprovoked demolition of Iraq? You know, Angola, Honduras, Palau?

Last edited by arr430; 01-25-2023 at 11:30 PM..

Old 01-27-2023, 11:59 AM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
Why is it better to have less allies than more? Defense is based on strength. And with global security concerns having friends around the world who know their regional military threats that may impact our own security protects us all.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 871,561 times
Well, there are allies in name and then allies in practice. Doubtful outside a handful of nations, the U.S. would commit troops for their defense. Send weapons yes, but actual boots on the ground, no. In the same regard, except for Australia, doubtful any allies come to the U.S. defense with troops. As far as who to add and who to drop. It’s best to keep them all. Removing one just means they grow closer to rivals. If I had to pick though, not much benefit from Latin American nations. At least with the Middle East allies we get oil. The Asian allies serve as buffer to China. As far as adding allies, from a strategic standpoint Vietnam would be a perfect addition if containment/pressuring China is the aim. India would also be useful in this regard.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM

908 posts, read 443,005 times
In my humble view all of them should be removed simultaneously with the USA withdrawing from NATO , in order to pursue an entirely different foreign policy centered around the theme of non interventionism .

What is a real threat to the United States is not the rest of the world , especially if we were to retain and/or revive the policy of maintaining a strong military within our borders for the sole purpose of defending ourselves from foreign attack ( s ) , but our own self created internal problems that sorely need resolving .

Which is precisely what we should focus on IMHO .

Old 01-28-2023, 02:17 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,348,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
In my humble view all of them should be removed simultaneously with the USA withdrawing from NATO , in order to pursue an entirely different foreign policy centered around the theme of non interventionism .

What is a real threat to the United States is not the rest of the world , especially if we were to retain and/or revive the policy of maintaining a strong military within our borders for the sole purpose of defending ourselves from foreign attack ( s ) , but our own self created internal problems that sorely need resolving .

Which is precisely what we should focus on IMHO .
I can't see a causal link though.

The US could still end up isolated, in a world where the global rules are defined entirely by others, and still have the same internal tensions. Those internal tensions could be even worse if the new global order was not as favorable to US economic interests.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post

The US could still end up isolated, in a world where the global rules are defined entirely by others, and still have the same internal tensions. Those internal tensions could be even worse if the new global order was not as favorable to US economic interests.

Normal diplomatic and commercial relations should be maintained with all countries willing to engage with us in such a manner , it's only the policy of interventionism that would be axed according to this proposal I have mentioned previously .

As such I do not see why pursuing a policy of non interventionism would result in the USA becoming isolated , particularly if the sort of relations mentioned above were to be retained .

And in my humble view this concept of there being a global order that needs to be maintained lest we perish or crumble to the level of a Third World/what have you is quite mistaken .

Old 01-28-2023, 06:08 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,348,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
Normal diplomatic and commercial relations should be maintained with all countries willing to engage with us in such a manner , it's only the policy of interventionism that would be axed according to this proposal I have mentioned previously .

As such I do not see why pursuing a policy of non interventionism would result in the USA becoming isolated , particularly if the sort of relations mentioned above were to be retained .

And in my humble view this concept of there being a global order that needs to be maintained lest we perish or crumble to the level of a Third World/what have you is quite mistaken .
By withdrawing from all alliances, including deep long established ones, the US's ability to influence countries diplomatically and economically would take huge hit. Hard power inevitably reinforces soft power.

The U.S. is able to address any perceived internal issues how and when it sees fit directly, whether that be universal health care, more "progressive" taxation legislation, prioritising funding for infrastructure, or anything else. None of this requires any foreign policy shifts.

The list at the start of this thread is a little misleading, though. Not all those alliances are of equal weight, depth or mutually beneficial to both countries.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
By withdrawing from all alliances, including deep long established ones, the US's ability to influence countries diplomatically and economically would take huge hit. Hard power inevitably reinforces soft power.

The U.S. is able to address any perceived internal issues how and when it sees fit directly, whether that be universal health care, more "progressive" taxation legislation, prioritising funding for infrastructure, or anything else. None of this requires any foreign policy shifts.

The list at the start of this thread is a little misleading, though. Not all those alliances are of equal weight, depth or mutually beneficial to both countries.

Indeed this is perhaps the very crux of this matter , namely that the United States shouldn't be influencing any foreign countries at all , but sticking to its own business and avoiding the wholly unnecessary direction our foreign policy has taken over the past 124-125 years .

Theoretically that is perhaps possible ( though highly debatable of course ) and as it is I don't see why it would be necessary to stick to the course of interventionism as opposed to non interventionism , even if it is undeniably true that internal issues could be solved without any major foreign policy shifts .

At the risk of sounding trite , I must take it upon me to quote the old chestnut of " peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none " , in relation to where I believe the United States should stand with regard to alliances .

Old 01-28-2023, 08:38 PM

119 posts, read 72,240 times
Quote:

Yellow people,brown people,black people,red people now look at China and Saudi Arabia and realise if they just hold on to their resources,they can make things with them and sell them globally.
They are getting tired of one country telling them what to do,how to live their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World