Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 07:40 AM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You seriously think everybody will start speaking Hindi, start watching Bollywood films, start wearing sari's and go to Namchi for there Summer holidays instead of Benidorm!?
It would depend a lot on how India ends up with a GDP per capita as UK and over what timeframe. If it's via an effective large drop in GDP per capita for the UK compared to the rest of the world over a fairly short term of a couple of decades, then that's not going to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 08:21 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
They did the right thing - first class infrastructure, affordable housing for the first-time home buyers, and free public education for the first 10 years and beyond.
Lmao the delusions. China's housing market is by far the most unaffordable in the world.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
We first visited China in 1988 and have returned several times, especially when my sister lived there. The changes are unbelievable, the growth in the standard of living and infrastructure. Same for Singapore, where we first stayed in 1977 and found it to be a fairly poor city state. Look at it now.

Of course Asia will keep on developing and at a faster rate than other regions.
China never did anything that hasn't been done before. Japan did it first decades prior and did it better. China is on the level of Korea and Taiwan in the 90s now, except it's already losing population, the economy has stopped growing, and is losing a one-sided tech battle with the US and allies. It's got all the problems of developed countries, except it's still a developing country and is antagonising everyone. The optics and prospects are absolutely horrendrous for China.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:55 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,344,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lmao the delusions. China's housing market is by far the most unaffordable in the world.
The conversation is on "first-time homebuyers" in China and Singapore.
How is the prospect of young people owning a starter home in Taiwan today?

Old 02-08-2023, 10:22 AM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
China is very large and the world is even larger. I don't think your statement makes much sense without a huge number of qualifiers.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:49 AM

30,480 posts, read 19,236,406 times
Quote:
So true, I compared housing where I live in Phoenix and Shanghai where I lived and worked a few years ago and the price per square meter in Shanghai is 7 times more while the average income in Shanghai is only 30% of the average income in Phoenix, just crazy out of whack costs to income ratio in China. I know many are suffering with the housing situation there and they are headded for a giant crash.

I very much enjoyed China and would hope for a better relationship with China, but it seems both of our governments are wanting friction to blame the other for their on ills.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So true, I compared housing where I live in Phoenix and Shanghai where I lived and worked a few years ago and the price per square meter in Shanghai is 7 times more while the average income in Shanghai is only 30% of the average income in Phoenix, just crazy out of whack costs to income ratio in China. I know many are suffering with the housing situation there and they are headded for a giant crash.

I very much enjoyed China and would hope for a better relationship with China, but it seems both of our governments are wanting friction to blame the other for their on ills.
Yeah it's hilarious to see China shills bragging about housing in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
China is very large and the world is even larger. I don't think your statement makes much sense without a huge number of qualifiers.
I'm sure we are talking about housing in the middle of nowhere in China here

Last edited by Greysholic; 02-08-2023 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-08-2023, 10:37 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,344,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
There's this youtube channel I watch once in a while with walks and drives around various places in China.

Yes there's still some way to go with air quality, but compared to even 10 years ago it's visibly improved. Watching the place transform from Maoist China to today, and continues to transform, has been remarkable.
Interesting video. Other than BeiShangQuangShen, are the 2nd- and 3rd-tier cities improved much?

Old 02-09-2023, 03:30 AM

284 posts, read 331,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Interesting video. Other than BeiShangQuangShen, are the 2nd- and 3rd-tier cities improved much?
You can go check out the channel, it's got vids of everywhere around the country.

Looking at the title of this vid you'd think this place used to be poor.

The thing with China is that it's such a massive country that even the lower tier cities would have population of 5-10 mill. Even Shenzhen was nothing but a little fishing village back in the 70s and 80s.

Some scenery for a change.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 02-09-2023 at 03:38 AM..

Old 02-09-2023, 09:06 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You seriously think everybody will start speaking Hindi, start watching Bollywood films, start wearing sari's and go to Namchi for there Summer holidays instead of Benidorm!?
Yes. That’s literally what has happened with American culture. Every-time someone wears Jeans says the word “bro”, or “brother” even when they don’t speak English, they’re repping a part of American culture. The basis of pop music worldwide in literally every country has immense American influence. America is nowhere near 40% of the Worlds GDP either. If India got there so many subcultures and youth trends would bubble to the surface.

I didn’t even know what Benidorm is which shows how local that vacation spot is to Brits, the only European vacation spots I had actually heard of were Ibiza and Turkey’s beaches.

So many things in the world even things that don’t make sense at face value is highly tied to GDP. For example athletic prowess and soft power is highly tied to GDP. When there’s more money in a country there’s more room to pursue passions and specialize. This is why Jamaicans and African Americans dominate short distance running and there are less West Africans especially outside of Nigeria than there are Europeans and Asians in running competitions. Because athletic prowess is tied to wealth just as much as it is of not moreso than genetics. Japan after the previous two had been one of if not the best country at running short distance as well.

Even other sports like Football which is heavily skill-based more African descended players come out of Europe than Africa even though the ratio is like 100:1. It’s not like the most skilled or best Africans at football move to Europe in their childhood. It’s simply the GDP presents far more opportunities to specialize and become a bette football player once your in Europe.

Culture is similar GDP per capita and population plays massive roles. The only reason China isn’t more impactful culturally is because the communist government actively shields themselves and thus is from Chinese influence. Even then I’m Asia and Africa China is increasingly culturally relevant. Even in America websites like Shein and Tiktok dominate amongst youth culture.

This is with China having their own internet imagine if they were Democratic? Culturally they would be far more relevant in all of our everyday lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World