Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2023, 05:38 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,041,416 times
Reputation: 9813

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Yes. That’s literally what has happened with American culture. Every-time someone wears Jeans says the word “bro”, or “brother” even when they don’t speak English, they’re repping a part of American culture. The basis of pop music worldwide in literally every country has immense American influence. America is nowhere near 40% of the Worlds GDP either. If India got there so many subcultures and youth trends would bubble to the surface.

I didn’t even know what Benidorm is which shows how local that vacation spot is to Brits, the only European vacation spots I had actually heard of were Ibiza and Turkey’s beaches.

So many things in the world even things that don’t make sense at face value is highly tied to GDP. For example athletic prowess and soft power is highly tied to GDP. When there’s more money in a country there’s more room to pursue passions and specialize. This is why Jamaicans and African Americans dominate short distance running and there are less West Africans especially outside of Nigeria than there are Europeans and Asians in running competitions. Because athletic prowess is tied to wealth just as much as it is of not moreso than genetics. Japan after the previous two had been one of if not the best country at running short distance as well.

Even other sports like Football which is heavily skill-based more African descended players come out of Europe than Africa even though the ratio is like 100:1. It’s not like the most skilled or best Africans at football move to Europe in their childhood. It’s simply the GDP presents far more opportunities to specialize and become a bette football player once your in Europe.

Culture is similar GDP per capita and population plays massive roles. The only reason China isn’t more impactful culturally is because the communist government actively shields themselves and thus is from Chinese influence. Even then I’m Asia and Africa China is increasingly culturally relevant. Even in America websites like Shein and Tiktok dominate amongst youth culture.

This is with China having their own internet imagine if they were Democratic? Culturally they would be far more relevant in all of our everyday lives.
You mean to 'European's'. By the way 'brother' is an English word......you know from England! And the only people that say 'bro' are 12 years old! Or they have the brain capacity of a 12 year old lol Thing is what you think is 'American' culture is actually 'global culture'. The US has taken a lot of its culture from the UK, in turn the UK took a lot of its culture from the Romans, who in turn took a lot of theirs from the Greeks.
I've even had an American tell me that the world has inherited 'American culture' because we all drive around in cars and trains and we all use computers!! Honestly I have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2023, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
6,476 posts, read 4,082,090 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You mean to 'European's'. By the way 'brother' is an English word......you know from England! And the only people that say 'bro' are 12 years old! Or they have the brain capacity of a 12 year old lol Thing is what you think is 'American' culture is actually 'global culture'. The US has taken a lot of its culture from the UK, in turn the UK took a lot of its culture from the Romans, who in turn took a lot of theirs from the Greeks.
I've even had an American tell me that the world has inherited 'American culture' because we all drive around in cars and trains and we all use computers!! Honestly I have!
Not you erasing American cultural influence. Look at the history of the shorthand “Bro”. It’s American the use of brother in the way many people use it in the Third World is directly from American movie influence. Jeans were invented in America for Americans. Most pop music in every country can trace its history back to African American + White American cultural mixture that created Jazz, Rock, Pop and other genres.

Lots of non-12 year old use Bro, look at interviews with a significant portion of London young adults.

I don’t know about Trains, but Car culture and the culture around Computers is American culture. Just because something is so Universal that everyone does it or uses it doesn’t take away it’s origins. There’s a reason American media dominates the internet and we don’t have .am or anything like that on our websites. I don’t think every car or every computer ever made is a culturally American product but there’s a deep connection harking back to America.

I’m not gonna lie as much as I love the UK, football etcetera y’all have a long history of culturally taking American things and claiming it as your own since y’all speak/invented English. Even today with your Rap music and culture around that a lot of it is bitten heavily from Americans but there’s a consistent push to act like it isn’t. Especially with words like “Global Culture”.

This is what I mean by if India was the same GDP per capita as the UK, there would be a long list of things that are so Universal that we would completely forget their origin is Indian.

Yoga is quickly becoming one of those things.

I’m not a super Patriotic American or any stretch of the imagination I’m just pointing out the truth of how dominant American culture is worldwide.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 02-10-2023 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2023, 03:34 PM
 
1,764 posts, read 1,028,472 times
Reputation: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You seriously think everybody will start speaking Hindi, start watching Bollywood films, start wearing sari's and go to Namchi for there Summer holidays instead of Benidorm!?
Actually Bollywood movies are very popular in West Africa, such as:
Quote:
1950s that Nigeria‘s love affair with Bollywood began. Considered to be a cheaper alternative to the latest Hollywood hits, some Lebanese merchants decided to import Hindi films to Nigeria. Soon attending Bollywood film screenings in open courtyards became commonplace in Nigerian culture. Interestingly, the films that were screened were neither dubbed nor subtitled in the native language. Mainly because the Nigerian communities saw themselves in the stories portrayed in Hindi cinema, Bollywood was able to cut through the language barrier in Africa
.https://www.globalindian.com/story/b...-to-bollywood/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2023, 01:52 PM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,041,416 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Not you erasing American cultural influence. Look at the history of the shorthand “Bro”. It’s American the use of brother in the way many people use it in the Third World is directly from American movie influence. Jeans were invented in America for Americans. Most pop music in every country can trace its history back to African American + White American cultural mixture that created Jazz, Rock, Pop and other genres.

Lots of non-12 year old use Bro, look at interviews with a significant portion of London young adults.

I don’t know about Trains, but Car culture and the culture around Computers is American culture. Just because something is so Universal that everyone does it or uses it doesn’t take away it’s origins. There’s a reason American media dominates the internet and we don’t have .am or anything like that on our websites. I don’t think every car or every computer ever made is a culturally American product but there’s a deep connection harking back to America.

I’m not gonna lie as much as I love the UK, football etcetera y’all have a long history of culturally taking American things and claiming it as your own since y’all speak/invented English. Even today with your Rap music and culture around that a lot of it is bitten heavily from Americans but there’s a consistent push to act like it isn’t. Especially with words like “Global Culture”.

This is what I mean by if India was the same GDP per capita as the UK, there would be a long list of things that are so Universal that we would completely forget their origin is Indian.

Yoga is quickly becoming one of those things.

I’m not a super Patriotic American or any stretch of the imagination I’m just pointing out the truth of how dominant American culture is worldwide.
But 'brother' comes from English in the first place! So by your argument its actually English culture no? Cars are German, computers are an English invention. The world wide web was also invented by an Englishman!! So again by your argument anybody driving around in a car is doing something culturally 'German' no? You, talking to me on here are doing something that is culturally 'English' are you not, particularly when you are doing it in the language of the English!? Or is it perhaps that I am correct when I use the term 'Global culture'?

Americans seem to try and lay claim to everything, from cars to computers, I've even seen them try to lay claim to English itself - you are a good example of this, you are a good example of American exceptionalism.

Oh and the french invented Denim, so by wearing anything in that material you are doing something culturally 'French' no!?

Last edited by easthome; 02-11-2023 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2023, 08:33 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,590 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Reputation: 37357
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Yet in the last 40 years there is been a huge rise in wealth in Asia. Plus within the next 10 yeas China economy will surpass the USA. India on the other hand is expected to overtake the UK in being the 4th largest economy in a few years.............
Nah. China is a fraud. They construct entire cities and count them as part of their GDP. As of 2020 there were 65 million homes standing empty. China has been overstating their income and military strength for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5A5Eu0ra3I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top