Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 03:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Argentina is a Third World country to me. I also question whether Greece really is a First World country anymore. I would say for places that are clearly in First World countries....Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Laredo and. Brownsville TX. And obviously parts but not all of Chicago, the Islamic banlieues of Paris, and London's East End. And Belfast, Northern Ireland because of the tension and conflict. They are engaged in ethnic and religious conflict in a way not typical of the First World.
I wouldn't call London's East End third world, it has seen a lot of investment, and is home to numerous attractive apartments and places such as Canary Wharf, it's also home to the City Airport, Royal Docks, and even areas such as Brick Lane etc.

As for Belfast, it's another city that has seen massive investment, and it is quite an attractive city, with the exception of a few areas, which is the same in most cities. Whilst NI has some beautiful towns and villages, fantastic countryside and some very wealthy enclaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 09:01 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
New Orleans
Detroit
Baltimore
Camden

Old 03-01-2023, 12:59 PM

211 posts, read 120,101 times
Interesting. Didn’t know the Irish situation was still so tense today.

Old 03-01-2023, 01:02 PM

211 posts, read 120,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Argentina is a Third World country to me. I also question whether Greece really is a First World country anymore. I would say for places that are clearly in First World countries....Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Laredo and. Brownsville TX. And obviously parts but not all of Chicago, the Islamic banlieues of Paris, and London's East End. And Belfast, Northern Ireland because of the tension and conflict. They are engaged in ethnic and religious conflict in a way not typical of the First World.
I feel like Argentina feels like the remnants of a first world country.

There are definitely areas that look far richer than Detroit or Baltimore.
And the crime isn’t as sky high as a lot of developing countries. But there’s a huge problem
With leadership and investment that’s nowhere close to being solved.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:31 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
I feel like Argentina feels like the remnants of a first world country.

There are definitely areas that look far richer than Detroit or Baltimore.
And the crime isn’t as sky high as a lot of developing countries. But there’s a huge problem
With leadership and investment that’s nowhere close to being solved.
Yes, the situation in Argentina is so sad. We were there a few years ago and commented, while having lunch in Buenos Aires, that we could have been in Melbourne as it felt so similar. But we also discovered on that trip that around 1900 both Argentina and Australia were two of the wealthiest countries in the world. Both were benefiting from much improved transportation to export primary products to Europe and also apparently from changes in fencing on rural properties.

So go forward 120 years and Australia, which has had very stable government, is still one of the wealthiest countries. Whereas Argentina now struggles and life is difficult for so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World