Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 04:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

I googled German composers...the list made my mouth drop it was so long with names. I knew 95 %.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 04:55 AM

27,138 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Czech Composer Antonín Dvořák's - Symphony No. 9 (Dvořák) which is often known as the 'New World Symphony' remains a very popular piece of classical music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ENf4VEhI40

Whilst in England, Hubert Parry's "Jerusalem" which is based on William Blake's poem
And did those feet in ancient time
, remains a firm favourite piece of music and hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERiPuOQyvo

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-22-2023 at 05:20 AM..

Old 03-22-2023, 05:32 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Montserrat Caballe sings a 500-yo Spanish song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWehT6hh1Y

Old 03-22-2023, 06:02 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
German Composer Ludwig van Beethoven's - Für Elise, as well as Beethoven's
Piano Sonata No. 14 (Moonlight Sonata)

So in terms of Classical Music it looks like a German/Austrian win to me.
Yes, it's common for young piano students in the United States to learn Für Elise and Moonlight Sonata. They're about as famous as any classical music gets. Also, Mozart and Bach.

Great videos everyone, by the way. Keep them coming. I'm sure everyone will find music here they never heard before.

Old 03-24-2023, 02:42 AM

27,138 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, it's common for young piano students in the United States to learn Für Elise and Moonlight Sonata. They're about as famous as any classical music gets. Also, Mozart and Bach.

Great videos everyone, by the way. Keep them coming. I'm sure everyone will find music here they never heard before.

Für Elise and Moonlight Sonata are well loved across the world, as are Mozart and Bach.

I think the best thing to do is to just let people listen to a number of well known classical music pieces and choose their own favourites, and the video below goes through 30 great pieces of classical music in less than ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXDCYvpRW50

Old 03-24-2023, 07:56 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

So let's share what you know about the music of different countries that have survived through the ages. Not so much modern or global music, but traditional or classical music. What music has surprised you with its esthetic or artistic quality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I have a hard time defining your terms, so your question is hard to answer. We know what old instruments sounded like, but not the music.
I also find it difficult to define the question. I mean much traditional music around the globe is erroneously defined as "global" music, whatever that means.

Reading between the lines I imagine you mean "classical" or traditional music in a Eurocentric sense or departing from a Eurocentric base.

Colombia is known as the land of a 1,000 rhythms many of which are UNESCO world heritage due to their centuries old preservation. There is traditional music with origins in pre-columbian America, Africa and of course Europe; some of which have merged but many of which have preserved almost exclusively the origins from each of the named continents.

As this seems to be Euro-focused, I will limit posts to Colombian traditional music of mostly European origin such as the genres Guabina, Pasillo, Torbellino, Bambuco, etc.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:26 AM

On second thought I think it's unfair to the true meaning of age-old traditional music to opaque the African and pre-Columbian origins of what's now Colombian music.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:25 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
As this seems to be Euro-focused, I will limit posts to Colombian traditional music of mostly European origin such as the genres Guabina, Pasillo, Torbellino, Bambuco, etc.
No, I don't want this to be only Euro-focused.

There are 190+ countries in the world today. I would bet there's a 99% chance all of these countries had amazing, timeless music being made within their territories sometime in the last 5,000 years.

Even though it may sound like a tall order, I want to explore that music right in this thread. In other words, this is going to be quite a journey.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:34 PM

˄˄
That's good to hear.

Bambuco, a centuries old genre from the core northern Andean region, was recently featured in Oscar Winning and Record breaking Disney feature film, Encanto which was set in Colombia.

And here French songstress & legend Briggite Bardot is interpreting a rural folk Torbellino from Boyacá, Colombia in traditional attire.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 15,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Beautiful! What great timing and chemistry. I've never heard of this genre before.

I have many nieces and they all love Encanto, it's been a great introduction to traditional Colombian music for me and one of the many reasons I hope to visit this year to experience it in the flesh. I love to dance and I know Colombians are great at dancing although the mellow stuff like the 'Waiting on a Miracle' instrumental is really nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World