Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 06:53 AM

26,876 posts, read 13,094,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Their "methodology" is pretty close to "Live, Love, Laugh".

https://www.worldsbestcities.com/methodology-2024/
I don't place much credence in relation to such lists.

As for the criteria it's relates to cities with a metro area of 1 million, so lots of very pleasant smaller cities are immediately excluded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 10:33 AM

11,970 posts, read 7,709,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
What jobs are in Montevideo? Stable nice city and country (Uruguay), but many go to Chile, Argentina, and Brazil for opportunities. I'd take Baltimore, Philly any day.
Its more than a job market.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:03 AM

26,758 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Their "methodology" is pretty close to "Live, Love, Laugh".

https://www.worldsbestcities.com/methodology-2024/
If that's the methodology then there is no possible universe where Toronto is above Montreal!

Old 10-04-2023, 12:16 PM

21,426 posts, read 12,389,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Apart from basic things like life expectancy or health care. I know for sure which one I’d rather have surgery in if I was shot.

All morbid jokes aside Cape Town is significantly bigger then Baltimore so it out muscling it on metrics shouldn’t come off as surprising.
Maybe it depends . I had a severe and serious skin-afflicting allergic reaction in Cape Town. Went to a more municipal/lower end hospital wait was unbearable and I was in pain- I told my friend "take me to where the white people go i dont care what it costs" and had the best brief hospital stay of my life bar none. Largest most private room, fluffiest pillows, top end food, total comfort I was injected with a steroid then given a shot to rest and heal and I was out of what was a dire situation in 2 hours total.

I also had a dental procedure to crack and remove an abscessed molar that went off pleasantly and without a hitch.

^I think the Hospital was near the Gardens District. I dont recall ever paying a medical bill although I probably did. But it wasnt a game changer if I did.

Its not metric- its just overall vibe. Spent a significant amountof time there and its just way better intangibly and in some ways tangibly. The highway system was spectacular and the trains took you so far out. Baltimore has nothing that could touch table mountain or Long Street either.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:10 PM

1,000 posts, read 343,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Montreal at 60, and below Austin, Vancouver, SD, Orlando, Miami, and Vegas (??????) is weird.
Was thinking the same thing. Too far down on the list, Montreal is safe, has great transportation (arguably the best in North America), reasonable cost of living etc etc.

Old 10-04-2023, 02:02 PM

837 posts, read 670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Montreal at 60, and below Austin, Vancouver, SD, Orlando, Miami, and Vegas (??????) is weird.
Lol

Montreal is amazing

Disney isn't even in Orlando proper.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:12 PM

3,409 posts, read 2,214,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maybe it depends . I had a severe and serious skin-afflicting allergic reaction in Cape Town. Went to a more municipal/lower end hospital wait was unbearable and I was in pain- I told my friend "take me to where the white people go i dont care what it costs" and had the best brief hospital stay of my life bar none. Largest most private room, fluffiest pillows, top end food, total comfort I was injected with a steroid then given a shot to rest and heal and I was out of what was a dire situation in 2 hours total.

I also had a dental procedure to crack and remove an abscessed molar that went off pleasantly and without a hitch.

^I think the Hospital was near the Gardens District. I dont recall ever paying a medical bill although I probably did. But it wasnt a game changer if I did.

Its not metric- its just overall vibe. Spent a significant amountof time there and its just way better intangibly and in some ways tangibly. The highway system was spectacular and the trains took you so far out. Baltimore has nothing that could touch table mountain or Long Street either.
I don't disagree with the intangibles or a vibe. Cape Town is a world class tourist destination, Baltimore isn't for obvious reasons.

But living in city vs. visiting a city/metro are two extremely different things.

I'm half Greek. I love spending time in Athens and as a "city experience" and vibe it blows anything that's not NYC into last week.. would a live there in my current stage of life over the Baltimore area? Absolutely not. Because love it or hate it for the vast majority of people, the US job market(s) is unique in offering opportunities that simply don't exist elsewhere and that has to count for something.

If we can dock points for Baltimore or Philly's generational demographic violence, it's equally fair to dock major points for other cities lack of economic opportunity because both play major roles into QoL.

Do I agree with the ranking of this list? No. But you'd be hard pressed to find a credible list where America's top 20-25 cities wouldn't make a global "pool" of Top 100.

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-04-2023 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-04-2023, 09:25 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,709,886 times
Quote:

I'm half Greek. I love spending time in Athens and as a "city experience" and vibe it blows anything that's not NYC into last week.. .
I don't know if you'd find a lot of people who would support this but as an individual experience it is certainly yours to have. Blowing everything else that is not NYC into last week though - I mean I think there are places that blow NYC into last week but that is just me lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No Medellin, Colombia over 100 of these cities? I'm done. Throw the list away.
Medellin is awesome. No other place like it.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 2,214,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't know if you'd find a lot of people who would support this but as an individual experience it is certainly yours to have. Blowing everything else that is not NYC into last week though - I mean I think there are places that blow NYC into last week but that is just me lol.
*in the context of US cities*

I say this as someone who lived in Tokyo for 4 years.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:52 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,709,886 times
Quote:
*in the context of US cities*

I say this as someone who lived in Tokyo for 4 years.
My apologies - I took that out of context. I haven't done Tokyo but I want to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World