Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 07:39 PM

711 posts, read 294,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Things need to be contextualised. Supporting Ukraine in its fight against a dictatorship trying to take it over is absolutely the right thing to do. Ensuring freedom of navigation in the Red Sea is another important imperative. Making it clear to Venezuela that it needs to stay away from Guyana is also vital.

The US can also put pressure on Israel behind the scenes to get it to mitigate the level of damage it’s inflicting on Gaza, while still being willing to provide support where necessary.
I don't disagree with most of the above, my first response was meant to be an objective observation however, in order to answer the OP. Your topics deserve an entirely new thread, maybe more than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 03:52 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I've been around since WWII and it's always been like this. It'll never change.
I agree. Wars are part of the human condition.

People do not change who they are, ultimately.

Old 12-16-2023, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 3,123 times
A lot of people are treating this in an overly relaxed way. The comments about spikes in global conflict in the late 60s, early 80s, and today capture the zeitgeist of the current era much more accurately

But if you add up all the quite significant changes that have occurred across the world since Trump and particularly COVID - it adds up to an obvious paradigm shift. Every century has them - I’m thinking the 2020s will be the 21st century’s first major paradigm shift (akin to WWII and the Counterculture era). There is significant political, economic, religious, and social conflict in society right now, with new philosophies arising in online spaces, across political factions, radical new technologies being suggested and developed, a rise in discontent and protest across western nations, and brand new conflicts globally that throw off the balance of power we’ve enjoyed for at least a few decades. We’re heading into a new era, no doubt.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubli View Post
A lot of people are treating this in an overly relaxed way. The comments about spikes in global conflict in the late 60s, early 80s, and today capture the zeitgeist of the current era much more accurately

But if you add up all the quite significant changes that have occurred across the world since Trump and particularly COVID - it adds up to an obvious paradigm shift. Every century has them - I’m thinking the 2020s will be the 21st century’s first major paradigm shift (akin to WWII and the Counterculture era). There is significant political, economic, religious, and social conflict in society right now, with new philosophies arising in online spaces, across political factions, radical new technologies being suggested and developed, a rise in discontent and protest across western nations, and brand new conflicts globally that throw off the balance of power we’ve enjoyed for at least a few decades. We’re heading into a new era, no doubt.
Hey "hubli/Not a Member", if you can still read this - there is no paradigm shift, there is no significant change, there is no defining zeitgeist, and your Trump/Covid comment is strange and disconnected. You sound like one of the sensationalized media references we were discussion earlier.

Change is constant, not cyclical. Conflicts ebb and flow, but still follow a long term pattern.

Old 12-22-2023, 03:23 AM

7,609 posts, read 3,265,767 times
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/22/asia/...-ml/index.html

Old 12-27-2023, 09:16 AM

780 posts, read 507,823 times
I'm concerned about the various conflicts happening on this planet, and the U.S. role in all of it. Between Israel/Hamas, Ukraine/Russia, and the hordes of migrants headed for the U.S, what are we going to do? Israel wants to wipe out Hamas and other Muslim terror groups, and they want U.S. backing or at least support, Ukraine wants to kick Russia out of their borders, and need U.S. money to make it happen, and there are thousands of migrants headed for the border wanting to come to the U.S. I feel for them, but the U.S. can't feed, clothe, house, and provide medical care for the thousands of migrants who want to come here. Can we afford to prop up Ukraine for what seems like years of conflict ahead? Can Israel put down Hamas my themselves, or are they going to ask us for money and arms? Russia can not be allowed to take Ukraine because that would be the first in a long list of actions to come, but can we afford that? How much debt should we incur to solve their problems?

Old 12-27-2023, 05:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 869,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Things need to be contextualised. Supporting Ukraine in its fight against a dictatorship trying to take it over is absolutely the right thing to do. Ensuring freedom of navigation in the Red Sea is another important imperative. Making it clear to Venezuela that it needs to stay away from Guyana is also vital.

The US can also put pressure on Israel behind the scenes to get it to mitigate the level of damage it’s inflicting on Gaza, while still being willing to provide support where necessary.
This poster's post points to one of the reason we are seeing this uptick in conflict. A false sense of righteousness or misplaced moral prerogatives. When you been propagandized since birth to see the world in binary terms of good vs evil, it becomes that much easier for elites to mobilize the masses for the use of deadly conflict to achieve geopolitical aims.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 869,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
The "olive branch" I was referring to was the release of money to Iran, the reaching out to Russia to "reboot" the relationship about a decade ago, the aid to Gaza, things like that... It's all contradictory and counterproductive when we find ourselves in a proxy war soon after, and in my opinion simply encourage future wars as it doesn't punish aggressor entities before actual shooting starts.

Pentagon budget is not a problem if the result is advancing weapons to use as a deterrent to war. If it's to buy $2,000 hammers, than yes it's a problem.
Not really seeing how those were olive branches. It was Iran's money that we stole. The money was released with a list of conditions attached. The Pentagon has failed 6 audits. They have been shown to overspend on items. It is most certainly a problem. A country such as China spends a much less but is able to field so the most advanced weapons on the planet.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Not really seeing how those were olive branches. It was Iran's money that we stole. The money was released with a list of conditions attached. The Pentagon has failed 6 audits. They have been shown to overspend on items. It is most certainly a problem. A country such as China spends a much less but is able to field so the most advanced weapons on the planet.
No one "stole" money, it was oil revenue by Iran legally seized when the Iran nuclear deal was abandoned. Thus the original sanctions were reinstated (i.e. preventing illegal oil revenue that was used to fund terrorism). The "list of conditions attached" for the release of funds (for Iranian humanitarian aid) is just a shell game, as it simply replaces funding that was already originally earmarked by Iran for hospitals and food and frees up that money to further spend to fund terrorism.
The $6 billion is still on hold I think thanks to more level headed politicians, but there is a good argument that it empowered and encouraged Iran and it's proxies to strike our allies in the middle east by perceiving it as a sign of western weakness and lack of resolve.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:27 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Default Is anyone starting to get concerned about the increase in military conflicts across the world over the last few years? (

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I've generally been "that guy" in geopolitics who tends to correct my friends about the state of the world. Before 2020, there were fewer conflicts in the world and, as a result, fewer people dying from conflicts.
Well, this is what a multi-polar World that everyone says they want is going to look like. In a World with over 200 countries, many of them weak and unable to defend themselves, it is only going to get worse.

Since the fall of the Axis powers in WW2, the USA and its allies played World Policeman, outside of the Russian sphere of influence. This is what allowed so many small nations to survive. When Iraq invaded and annexed Kuwait 30 years ago, the USA was able to create a coalition to liberate Kuwait and knock Saddam Hussein down.

Today, Russia and/or China may very well defend a dictator like Saddam and he might very well get away it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World