Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2024, 03:55 PM
 
3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Reputation: 1692

Advertisements

...vice versa meaning cities that usually do not rank that high in these publications but where you would gladly live at least for a while.

I start.


Some cities that usually rank very high in quality of life surveys but where you could not pay me any amount of money to live there even for a short time.

Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Zurich, Geneva, Calgary

Oslo is on paper the perfect city to live, extremely efficient public transportation, great social services, super clean, beautiful nature surroundings and interesting blend of old and new architecture....but no, I would not even spend 6 months there.

Weather is obviously a big factor but also I'm not particularly fond of the "Scandinavian vibes" so to speak and I would find extremely hard to adapt to the extreme variance in daylight between summer and winter. I found the city quite depressing for me.

Cities that usually do not do well in QoL ranking but that I find interesting enough to spend some time as resident.

Istanbul, Rio De Janeiro, Cape Town, Lisbon, Panama City, some of the big South East Asian capitals such as Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Singapore.

I'm obviously a close to the sea and warm weather type of person (however the SE Asian cities are a bit too much humid for me) but I also find the culture in these cities fascinating.

Istanbul, for example, I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, an incredible mesmerizing crossroad of different cultures, a bridge between Europe and Asia.

I find Panama City lovely, not too big, not too small, a city that knows how to do hustle and bustle but also how to relax, a miniature, less extreme version of Rio.

Now your turn!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-04-2024 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2024, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Reputation: 3592
Geneva would be my top choice in terms of livability. For me, it’s just about perfect. Lausanne would likely be my second choice. Vienna just topped one list for livability, but it is #3 for me as it isn’t universally nice like some of the Swiss cities, for example. Milan would be #4 for me.

That said, I love Barcelona and it’s tempting to say it’s #1 for me, but realistically once the novelty of it wore off I could see why it’s a bit less livable the the cities I’ve previously mentioned. Florence is another one I struggle with. It’s arguably the most beautiful city in the world and it’s just amazing to visit a city straight out out the Renaissance, but I’m not sure how it would be living there.

Bellevue is #1 for me in the US, followed by Arlington.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 01-04-2024 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2024, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Reputation: 3592
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...vice versa meaning cities that usually do not rank that high in these publications but where you would gladly live at least for a while.

I start.


Some cities that usually rank very high in quality of life surveys but where you could not pay me any amount of money to live there even for a short time.

Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Zurich, Geneva, Calgary

Oslo is on paper the perfect city to live, extremely efficient public transportation, great social services, super clean, beautiful nature surroundings and interesting blend of old and new architecture....but no, I would not even spend 6 months there.

Weather is obviously a big factor but also I'm not particularly fond of the "Scandinavian vibes" so to speak and I would find extremely hard to adapt to the extreme variance in daylight between summer and winter. I found the city quite depressing for me.

Cities that usually do not do well in QoL ranking but that I find interesting enough to spend some time as resident.

Istanbul, Rio De Janeiro, Cape Town, Lisbon, Panama City, some of the big South East Asian capitals such as Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Singapore.

I'm obviously a close to the sea and warm weather type of person (however the SE Asian cities are a bit too much humid for me) but I also find the culture in these cities fascinating.

Istanbul, for example, I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, an incredible mesmerizing crossroad of different cultures, a bridge between Europe and Asia.

I find Panama City lovely, not too big, not too small, a city that knows how to do hustle and bustle but also how to relax, a miniature, less extreme version of Rio.

Now your turn!!
By the way, why don’t you like Geneva?

From the other cities you mentioned, Singapore should do well for QOL but I’ve never been so I’m not sure. The other SE Asian cities can be great if you have money, terrible if you don’t. Istanbul might be nice, it’s on my list to visit at least.

Lisbon wouldn’t be on my list of desirable cities, it’s just too gritty. I’d take pretty much any Spanish city over Lisbon. It’s a shame too because Lisbon has almost unparalleled potential.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 01-04-2024 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2024, 08:01 PM
 
3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
By the way, why don’t you like Geneva?
Mainly distance from the sea, weather, size (a bit too small and too "quiet").

Quote:
I’d take pretty much any Spanish city over Lisbon. It’s a shame too because Lisbon has almost unparalleled potential.
I forgot to mention Barcelona, I love it, is definitely one of the cities where I could live even if usually it does not score very high in livability ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2024, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey
12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Reputation: 10123
I probably wouldnt live in most of Scandinavia because of how cold, remote and bland it is. I also wouldn’t live in Australia because of how remote it is and when I visited, wasn’t really a fan of their cities. Finally, Canada because of how god damn overpriced everything is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2024, 04:53 PM
 
Location: PNW
676 posts, read 646,949 times
Reputation: 767
These livability rankings never really fit for my desired places either. The US is rated far too low on them. No idea how a place like Calgary, Oslo or Helsinki is more desirable to be in than Santa Barbara or West Palm Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2024, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Reputation: 3592
Oh, forgot to mention I have zero desire to be in Northern Europe due to their high taxes. Some have around a 60% tax rate if memory serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
These livability rankings never really fit for my desired places either. The US is rated far too low on them. No idea how a place like Calgary, Oslo or Helsinki is more desirable to be in than Santa Barbara or West Palm Beach.
When viewed holistically, I don’t think the lists are wrong. Look at LA for example, if you’re in Santa Barbara, West Hollywood, Pasadena, etc you’re doing pretty good. If you’re in Compton, Long Beach, etc you’re not. I think US cities tend to score poorly due to inequality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2024, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey
12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Reputation: 10123
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
These livability rankings never really fit for my desired places either. The US is rated far too low on them. No idea how a place like Calgary, Oslo or Helsinki is more desirable to be in than Santa Barbara or West Palm Beach.
Socioeconomic divide is a big one. If you are White/East Asian, you will do GREAT. If you are Black/Hispanic, be prepared to work twice as hard to get half as far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2024, 08:33 PM
 
3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Reputation: 1692
There is some sort of inherent anti-US bias in these ranking, US cities never do well because of the wealth inequality in the country and the health care system.
In general, it's always true that a lot depends on how well off you are economically....if you are poor no city on earth will be that great.
Finally, I have to agree up to a point with The Economist editor when he wrote that many cities that generally do well in these QoL rankings, on the flip side of the coin often are "boring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2024, 08:45 AM
 
14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Reputation: 39059
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
When viewed holistically, I don’t think the lists are wrong. Look at LA for example, if you’re in Santa Barbara, West Hollywood, Pasadena, etc you’re doing pretty good. If you’re in Compton, Long Beach, etc you’re not. I think US cities tend to score poorly due to inequality.
Since when is Santa Barbara in Los Angeles? It's 100 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top