U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,332,085 times

Advertisements

I cant believe its so warm on the 7th continent! The coastal areas are above freezing to as high as 50 degrees! It must be the work of global warming and the ice is rapidly melting! Antarctica could become the next Austrillia once people move to Antarctica and settle there permanently. Lots of land to build houses and cities!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM

6,561 posts, read 16,211,988 times
First of all, 50 degrees is only reported at Larsen Ice, which is at about 65' latitude (it sticks out from the rest of Antarctica). The rest of the continent is much cooler. Also, it is SUMMER in Antarctica at the moment. In addition, the forecast for the coming week is significantly colder.

I'm not trying to say that global warming isn't happening, because I firmly believe it is. However, to state that Antarctica could become the next Australia seems pretty farfetched at this point.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,332,085 times
Well im not saying itll be as warm as Australia, but more like itll be a livable continent like Australia is. Ive read the main reason few people live in Antarctica is because its a little on the cold side. People havent bothered to develop the land yet. I know the rest of Antarctica is cooler but around the costal areas its above freezing(color red) In fact 2/3 of Antarctica is at least 20 degrees and almost 1/2 of Antarctica is above 32 degrees. If people can live in the cold arctic climates like Alaska and north Canada, they can live in Antarctica(well not near the south pole!)

Old 01-07-2007, 02:30 PM

944 posts, read 3,722,058 times
Speaking of Australia, are you aware that there was an early summer snowfall there recently? Global warming is real, but no single event or measurement proves anything because weather is chaotic. You have to look at the big picture.

Just to make things more complicated, Discover Mag reports that the most recent global ocean temp readings show a slight cooling of the water even as the atmosphere is heating up. We have a lot to learn and it's anyone's guess how this will all play out. Even without humans causing some warming, the climate would constantly change just as it always has. We can't control it, we can only contribute some input and the results are totally unpredictable.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 PM

152 posts, read 700,112 times
It gets down to -128 in the winter with 120 mph winds. I like winter sports. I'am thinking of teaching English there

Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM

152 posts, read 700,112 times
Default Ozone Hole

Beside the coldness there is the ozone hole that covers Antarctica. People living as far away as the southern tip of Argentina have had eye damage caused by ultraviolet radiation. As for global warming I read that a bulk of the problem is caused by jet aircraft NOT cars. The writer suggested less flying...that doesn't seem realistic...

Old 01-07-2007, 11:19 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,348,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I cant believe its so warm on the 7th continent! The coastal areas are above freezing to as high as 50 degrees! It must be the work of global warming and the ice is rapidly melting! Antarctica could become the next Austrillia once people move to Antarctica and settle there permanently. Lots of land to build houses and cities!
Umm... well... it IS summer in the Southern Hemisphere right now and Antarctica is a rather LARGE continent...
If you do a little more investigation, you'll find that scientists aren't finding that Antarctica is warming, but that it's cooling against their expectations. Even so, it still has fairly temperate areas with summer and spring flowers, animals, vegetation, etc. It's not all an ice sheet anymore than all Canadians live in igloos with electricity.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 AM

29,042 posts, read 47,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Speaking of Australia, are you aware that there was an early summer snowfall there recently? Global warming is real, but no single event or measurement proves anything because weather is chaotic. You have to look at the big picture.
You can say that again... so far out here (Northern Calif), it's been one of the coldest winters in 100+ years! We've been consistently colder than the east coast, and have dropped down into the 20s a few times - which is usually unheard of here! My dad lives in D.C., and he said they've seen practically balmy weather so far, with lots of 60-70 degree temps. And then Colorado starts getting pounded with snowstorms, when they are usually among the drier parts of this country. So while I don't know much about global warming, apparently it has the opposite effect on some of us.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
I like winter sports. I'am thinking of teaching English there
Forget about it. Penguins are xenophobic and have no interest in learning new languages, let alone sharing their space with people from other cultures. It's a nice thought, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
...while I don't know much about global warming, apparently it has the opposite effect on some of us.
The weather is much more a result of ocean currents and seasons rather than "global warming." Everyone has to keep reminding themselves: Global Warming is an AVERAGE effect on the earth's climate and has nothing to do with the weather outside your door right now.

Enough water melts from Greenland each year to supply Los Angeles with 5 years of water for ALL its needs. I say we need to find a way to get that water to LA and save the Gulf Stream from all that fresh water before it causes a new ice age in Europe. Then again, a new ice age would be entertaining for those of us who live in areas that wouldn't be affected... My property value in Texas would go up... hmmm.... how many nukes would it take to melt enough of Greenland to shut down the jet stream?

Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
...If you do a little more investigation, you'll find that scientists aren't finding that Antarctica is warming, but that it's cooling against their expectations.
Depends on which part. Measurements in some areas are showing decreased temps, increased in others. It's a big continent. I doubt they have enough measuring stations to be able to say that it's warming or cooling as a whole, but you're right that SOME parts of Antarctica have been cooling in recent years.

Does that mean anything? Who knows. It's probably related to slight shifts in ocean currents.

By the way, the hole in the ozone layer is rapidly diminishing, thanks to the efforts of HUMANS to stop pumping chloroflouro compounds into the atmosphere. That's one of the most successful global efforts in history for international cooperation to solve an international problem. If only we could stop war that easily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World