Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,530 times

Advertisements

Just another idea I had about where skyscrapers are likely to pop up in the future, given shifts in current trends. Here are my personal thoughts on 10 countries that I'm confident will build a lot throughout the 2020s and 2030s - feel free to comment or speculate on your own.

India - India's economic growth has become very rapid and robust, and I could see it go the way of China twenty years ago. Massive urbanization and a huge demographic boon is driving high-rise construction in major cities, especially Hyderabad, the Delhi Metro Area, and Kolkata. Mumbai and its metro area already looks insanely vertical, just lacking much height above 300 m that will hopefully be fixed soon.

Canada - Canada's population is growing quickly due to high levels of immigration, and most end up concentrating in a few metro areas. Already one of the countries with the best skylines for its population, Canada will grow upwards with much of this in the Metro Toronto and Metro Vancouver regions.

China - Will probably be building lots as usual, continuing from the last decade. Though some cities are seeing patchy records (such as in Tianjin or Hefei), other cities like Hangzhou and Jinan are powering on. Its economic troubles, especially the residential property market, may hamper this somewhat. The Greater Bay Area (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc) seems to be more resilient.

Vietnam - A Southeast Asian country with a large population and a rapidly industrializing economy, benefitting from investment away from China, and two large cities, is surely a recipe for a skyscraper building boom. Many of its smaller cities are also getting skylines of their own.

Mexico - Similarly, near shoring will bring benefits to a large economy that is one of the few Latin American countries that can boast some height. Mexico City's massive population and Monterrey's closeness to the US will mean a lot of activity in those two cities, with cities like Puebla, Guadalajara, and Tijuana following.

United States - I'm cautiously optimistic that the US, given its very strong economy, can translate that into another building boom similar to the late 2010s, especially with a lower interest rate. Despite the pandemic killing most office-related project, a growing interest in urbanism and high-rise living may hopefully lead to American cities finding the spirit to go tall once again. Regardless, NYC and Miami are likely to keep expanding.

United Arab Emirates - Just continuing the trend from the past decade. Almost all of it will probably be in Dubai, which is currently seeing a huge real estate boom.

Indonesia - Similar reasons to Vietnam, with Jakarta being a massive urban area that already has a great skyline. However, parts of it are sinking.

The Philippines - Again, similar reasons to Vietnam, and Manila is also huge.

United Kingdom - The only fully European country to have more or less embraced high-rise building in its major cities. I can see London, Manchester, and Birmingham continuing to get taller. Trouble with the British economy seems to have done little to affect this trend, with homes sorely needed due to a lack of supply. Number-wise, it will probably build less in absolute terms than some countries I haven't mentioned, like Malaysia.

Honorable mentions to Japan (resurgent economy), Israel (although recent events have dampened it for now), and South Korea (lifting of regulations prompting new proposals after a pause in Seoul).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 03:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Not all countries who can, will. Many people do not see building skyscrapers as a positive thing. Especially in places like Europe, where they strive to retain their historic buildings and neighbourhoods.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:55 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
I'd say India of the options.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:35 AM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Mumbai has the highest concentration of tall skyscrapers in India. Also, among the most luxurious.

The Palais Royale is 1,050 feet.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rli_mumbai.png

The World Towers:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._tower_2.0.jpg

Old 01-28-2024, 07:21 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
London's Skyscrapers tend to be in certain areas such as the two main financial districts in relation to the City of London (Square Mile) and Canary Wharf, as well as areas such as the redevelopment of Vauxhall/Nine Elms and parts of the South Bank. etc.

City of London office space demand continues to rise - BBC News (1st November 2023)

London financial district to have 11 more towers by 2030 - The Guardian (1st November 2023)

Old 01-28-2024, 08:17 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Almost certainly India. It's a massive country with a growing economy and population and a majority of its population has yet to urbanize as opposed to the other gorilla in the room, China.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:10 PM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinAWestLife View Post

United Kingdom - The only fully European country to have more or less embraced high-rise building in its major cities. I can see London, Manchester, and Birmingham continuing to get taller. Trouble with the British economy seems to have done little to affect this trend, with homes sorely needed due to a lack of supply. Number-wise, it will probably build less in absolute terms than some countries I haven't mentioned, like Malaysia.
There are tall buildings and skyscrapers in major British cities such as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool etc.

Birmingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVeZB8dC9bE

Manchester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ibbx08xZc

Glasgow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_yVFt2WJ8

Leeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrirLuRJQ8s

Liverpool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnu_dsRgTJQ

Old 02-22-2024, 04:29 PM

394 posts, read 597,668 times
I think it will be India. China may continue to build but strictly for show and to prop up it's GDP growth even thou half of them will be empty. After that I would say it would be the US due to having 330,000 but relatively, I would say Canada. It's not just Toronto that is going nuts but also Mon/Van/Cal/Ott and even smaller centres are seeing huge numbers of high rises going up due to our population growth that is now amongst the fastest in the world.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:12 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I think it will be India. China may continue to build but strictly for show and to prop up it's GDP growth even thou half of them will be empty. After that I would say it would be the US due to having 330,000 but relatively, I would say Canada. It's not just Toronto that is going nuts but also Mon/Van/Cal/Ott and even smaller centres are seeing huge numbers of high rises going up due to our population growth that is now amongst the fastest in the world.
But high rises usually aren't skyscrapers (150m).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World