Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Tough *******! Who care what the has been countrys of the EU think!!! Maybe we SHOULD be the A-holes the world thinks we are and let the rest of you croak or be taken over by the Reds!We'll take North and South America drill it full of hole and have all the gas we need and if in the process we decreased the surplus population by a few billion it will probably relieve the planet of some stress..........
Taken over by the REDS? Heck, they can't even win at baseball...

Old 06-21-2008, 12:59 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
America does want to be a good world citizen, I think. Her people are humanitarian and risk takers and have contributed much to the advancements in science, medicine, and personal self-actualization as an ideal. She doesn't deserve to be hated or bashed without mercy.Thanks to those here who recognize that and have stood up for her.

However, America lives in the real world where good guys can finish last, where sometimes ideals clash against self-preservation and personal greed, where the ends may have to justify the means in order to maintain the carrying of the torch and most of all, America isn't some monolithic do-gooder. It has people in it, for goodness sake, people who make mistakes, who are conceited, who are stupid, who are self-indulgent and arrogant.

She is not perfect but she has been carrying the water for a long time. She also looks after her own interests first and foremost and that may be wrong but I don't how a nation would survive if it did not.

Terrible things have happened because of America's self-interest but at least she rises up and lashes herself when this hits the light of day. Not perfect and not a saint but give us a break. Criticize and poke fun and call us out when we do wrong, but do it respectfully. We deserve that.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 PM

650 posts, read 1,206,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Tough *******! Who care what the has been countrys of the EU think!!! Maybe we SHOULD be the A-holes the world thinks we are and let the rest of you croak or be taken over by the Reds!We'll take North and South America drill it full of hole and have all the gas we need and if in the process we decreased the surplus population by a few billion it will probably relieve the planet of some stress..........
I'm sure Canada will be thrilled. If it's the EU you hate, why are you out to kill Canadians?

NOBODY in the western world denies that America is a country who does great things...but you AREN'T THE ONLY ONES with sons and brothers in Iraq or Afghanistan or any other warzone. The EU and Australia and a whole host of other nations are fighting for peace, too.

A whole lot of other countries contribute funds and technology and charity to developing nations TOO. Very often America contributes more...but America is a huuuuuge country with huge resources compared to many others, who are doing what they can and making sacrifices just as big.

I guess the only difference I see is, that there are some (I said SOME) Americans who think that their country holds the whole world together, all out of unselfish heroism, and resent the rest of us for a perceived "ingratitude", without realising that we really do have lives and economies and governments of our own. I've never, never, encountered that level of arrogance in any other nationality....and I think that it might account for a lot of those low percentages quoted by the OP...

...who asked for European opinion (among others), so here's mine:
I've genuinely liked most Americans I've met. I like America as a country too--a fantastic country full of opportunity and beauty and with a noble history (and I have a soft spot for the Appalachians! ) And who could dislike a country that gave the world Elvis?? BUT, I think the Bush administration has been a disaster for the world in general, though who's to say someone else might not have been worse--and if you all think he's been good for America however, well ok, that's his first job after all. And I don't encounter much anti-Americanism among my friends and neighbours either.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
In my travels for work I am always amazed at what different people in different countries think of others. It seems that some are always blaming their problems on different countries. Most often you get the old european colonalism thng. But other people just seem to be friendly and those are usually the ones that travel themselves. The grouches are mostly people who have sterotypes and are not very successful in their own lives is what I have observed. Unhappy people ahve to have someone to blame;so that they don't have tolook at themselves.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:54 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The grouches are mostly people who have sterotypes and are not very successful in their own lives is what I have observed. Unhappy people have to have someone to blame; so that they don't have to look at themselves.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but your insight does fit my own experience, absolutely. I think you're on to something.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:04 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Terrible things have happened because of America's self-interest but at least she rises up and lashes herself when this hits the light of day.
And I'm sure the good people of Iraq will take great comfort from this.

Another European opinion.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I'm an American living in Iceland. People here really don't have much of an opinion either way. Most people know way more about American politics- particularly this election- than Americans themselves. I had a wonderful conversation with a guy my age about who should be Obama's running mate- and I can think of only a handful of whom I could have a similar conversation with at home.

However, they do seem to think it's incredibly funny how, as a whole, America is so full of itself. Iceland does not have homeless people, I just walked home last night at 3AM and didn't even have to give it a second thought, there is a murder maybe once every 2 years, everything is clean, there isn't much income disparity, electricity all comes from hydro and geothermal renewable resources, and hot water comes from geothermal springs. And Americans think that Icelanders are jealous of US? It's really hilarious. :P

Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm an American living in Iceland. People here really don't have much of an opinion either way. Most people know way more about American politics- particularly this election- than Americans themselves. I had a wonderful conversation with a guy my age about who should be Obama's running mate- and I can think of only a handful of whom I could have a similar conversation with at home.

However, they do seem to think it's incredibly funny how, as a whole, America is so full of itself. Iceland does not have homeless people, I just walked home last night at 3AM and didn't even have to give it a second thought, there is a murder maybe once every 2 years, everything is clean, there isn't much income disparity, electricity all comes from hydro and geothermal renewable resources, and hot water comes from geothermal springs. And Americans think that Icelanders are jealous of US? It's really hilarious. :P
While Iceland in particular has many things going for it, I think the same principle applies to most of the western world - no-one is "jealous" of America. The countries in which some people may be are probably lesser developed nations, where people are drawn to America through the notion of increased wealth. Even those countries often have a history and cultural wealth that outsiders would be jealous of.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
While Iceland in particular has many things going for it, I think the same principle applies to most of the western world - no-one is "jealous" of America. The countries in which some people may be are probably lesser developed nations, where people are drawn to America through the notion of increased wealth. Even those countries often have a history and cultural wealth that outsiders would be jealous of.
I think when people say "jealous" they do not mean over the quality of life or richness of culture. I think they are referring to a jealous resentment of the USA being such a powerful country and so hugely influential. I mean, there is no denying the USA is more powerful & influential than Iceland, and most countries for that matter. I don't say that in a bragging sort of way by any means, because I do not feel that in itself has made my life any better or that the USA always uses this power & influence for good. I think the fact that it hasn't been used for good in many cases is just what people resent. Maybe they think their country would be a better influence & power on the world scene.

It seems like our "culture", good & bad, gets exported to other countries much more than their cultures make their way over here. I understand why "Americanization" might put a chip on some people's shoulders. However, they might be surprised to find out Americans are very curious about other cultures and don't think we are the end all be all. The idea that Americans are more "vulgar" is even promoted here.
I see this in advertising: if something is meant to be "classy" then the voice in a commercial will have a British accent. If something is "Italian" or "French" then somehow it must be fancier and more luxurious. I think this reflects the American viewpoint that our culture is somehow less sophisticated & more kitschy, whether true or not.

Anyway, I think the often used excuse that anti-American sentiment is due to the Bush admin is not the whole picture. A lot of anti-american expressions are geared towards our perceived culture & the average person, not just our government. I think that's where Americans get tired of being criticized & negatively stereotyped. The ill feelings seem to stem from something deeper than a mere annoyance at behavioral differences, which is why some Americans cry "jealousy" at anti-Americanism.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I think when people say "jealous" they do not mean over the quality of life or richness of culture. I think they are referring to a jealous resentment of the USA being such a powerful country and so hugely influential. I mean, there is no denying the USA is more powerful & influential than Iceland, and most countries for that matter. I don't say that in a bragging sort of way by any means, because I do not feel that in itself has made my life any better or that the USA always uses this power & influence for good. I think the fact that it hasn't been used for good in many cases is just what people resent. Maybe they think their country would be a better influence & power on the world scene.

It seems like our "culture", good & bad, gets exported to other countries much more than their cultures make their way over here. I understand why "Americanization" might put a chip on some people's shoulders. However, they might be surprised to find out Americans are very curious about other cultures and don't think we are the end all be all. The idea that Americans are more "vulgar" is even promoted here.
I see this in advertising: if something is meant to be "classy" then the voice in a commercial will have a British accent. If something is "Italian" or "French" then somehow it must be fancier and more luxurious. I think this reflects the American viewpoint that our culture is somehow less sophisticated & more kitschy, whether true or not.

Anyway, I think the often used excuse that anti-American sentiment is due to the Bush admin is not the whole picture. A lot of anti-american expressions are geared towards our perceived culture & the average person, not just our government. I think that's where Americans get tired of being criticized & negatively stereotyped. The ill feelings seem to stem from something deeper than a mere annoyance at behavioral differences, which is why some Americans cry "jealousy" at anti-Americanism.
A good post with some good points. I agree with everything you said, and think that "jealousy" is not the correct term here. Resentment possibly, for the reasons that you describe. You seem to represent a level-headed "adult" American view, however some of the other views aired on this thread display an arrogance that is patently laughable and shows a side to the American psyche that outsiders would look down upon. I'm sure we'd all like to think that such small-mindedness represents the minority.

It raises an interesting question as to the extent to which the citizens of any country conform to any negative stereotypes that exist about their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World