U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM

605 posts, read 2,290,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWoman View Post
This shocked me, too, Ogle. And what shocked me even more is the fact that anti-Americanism has been going on in Europe/Britain since the beginning of America. All they needed was a real reason to hate America, and they took us having a bad leader and gladly ran with it. As if they have never had any bad leaders. They have entire TV shows/shows on Britain's equivalent to Broadway doing nothing but putting down & making fun of Americans. Who would have thought Europeans/Brits would be so insecure and immature. In fact, this show was sold out every single night and was the longest running show ever on Britain's equivalent to Broadway. Any show about any other people in the world doing nothing but putting another people down would bore Americans to death. This is a huge difference in Americans and Europeans/Brits. They make fun of us for some of the most ridiculous, pathetic, immature things....things such as grade school children would say and think. They always hate and make fun of each other. This is just something Americans have never been obsessed with.

It has hit most Americans like a ton of bricks, considering we always thought of Europeans/Brits as our older cousins/friends across the pond. Secondly, we thought they were sophisticated, secure people versus very uncouth people who act more like grade school bullies. Making fun of Americans by trying to portray all Americans as being fat, lazy, ignorant rednecks is more like something I would expect from Arab Muslims in the east, not Europeans/Brits. It seems that our friends/cousins across the pond have more in common with their Muslim population than they do with us.

It isn't "all" Europeans/Brits, of course, but it is a majority of them. And, yes, their media has a hell of a lot to do with it. They say our things are in their faces and try to say we are trying to do away with their "superior" culture and substitute it with ours. I don't recall us twisting their arms, though, to buy our things, watch our movies, listen to our music, etc, do you?

Many Europeans/Brits are moving from their countries because of their violent Muslim populations. Haven't you noticed we have a whole lot more Brits on our TV shows/movies/commercials lately? The Swedes are moving out of their country "in droves" b/c of their violent Muslim population according to a Swedish newspaper. The liberal Europeans, who are really the ones who are more anti-America, are destroying Europe/Britain.

You should get the book "The United States of Europe" by T.R. Ried to learn more about all of this craziness. Personally, I think these Europeans/Brits are shooting themselves in the foot. If anyone is trying to change their countries/cultures, it would be their Muslim populations. But as usual, hatred extremism will blind people of their true problems. This also has a lot to do with trying to find an enemy that will unite Europeans under the EU. In my opinion, though, they have chosen the wrong enemy. The future for Europe will prove this to be very true, in my opinion. If Europeans and Americans were smart we would stick together. This is our only chance of survival of our freedoms in the future.
What utter piffle. I'm struggling to find two consecutive words that I can agree with in here.

This is all so far wide of the mark as to be laughable.

Have you ever set one foot in Europe or did you get all of this wonderful insight for $11.99 on Amazon?
Rate this post positively

Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 PM

650 posts, read 1,161,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
What utter piffle.
Agreed. (did you have to QUOTE it???!)

I nearly replied--at length--but was laughing so hard I couldn't type straight. Now that the moment's passed, I'm thinking the poor dear only forgot his meds this morning. So instead, I think I'll get on a plane to New York and see what's playing on the American-equivalent-to-the-West-End, where apparently nobody makes fun of anyone. Sounds nice.

This thread has certainly had its moments!! Calmly discussing the origins and degrees of, and SOLUTIONS FOR, anti-Americanism would have been interesting, but all the attacks and weird, uninformed accusations are just depressing.

IMHO of course.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:27 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,328,549 times
Honestly I don't care about all that "Anti Americanism" stuff. I feel that is just stereotyping and if someone from any of those countries met "me" they'd like me and that's what's important. I'm a good person, friendly and treat others with respect. I don't mind the stereotype image since it's based on our govt and not on me

Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,474,812 times
Quote:
Many Europeans/Brits are moving from their countries because of their violent Muslim populations. Haven't you noticed we have a whole lot more Brits on our TV shows/movies/commercials lately? The Swedes are moving out of their country "in droves" b/c of their violent Muslim population according to a Swedish newspaper. The liberal Europeans, who are really the ones who are more anti-America, are destroying Europe/Britain.
Uhm... What? What newspaper? When was this? And what violent muslim population? Oh my gosh, what have I missed?
Sorry, but this is a blatant lie.
As most of this post is. It is so far from the truth that it is just laughable.

Why are you saying Europeans/Brits, when Brits are also Europeans? Isn't that like saying "North Americans/Canadians"?

And sorry, but the Swedish media doesn't mention the US that often. Very seldom actually. We get our picture of the US from YOUR OWN media. Because the US exports its media. Most of it, actually, and so it is yourselves who portray yourselves the way we then look at you.
Stop producing and exporting a negative view of the US if you don't want us to have a negative view of you. Don't blame us for what you yourselves have caused.

Like tonrob said- have you been to any European country, or are you just in denial, trying to make Europeans (and Brits) look bad so that our opinions won't count for anything?

This matter could be discussed in a mature, intellectual way, but if people resort to name-calling and making the opponent look bad/stupid/immature (doesn't this feel like the presidential campaigns?), stereotyphes, hate and ignorance will only continue to divide us.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:43 PM

650 posts, read 1,161,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I feel that is just stereotyping and if someone from any of those countries met "me" they'd like me and that's what's important.
I think you're right.

I like you.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
I think you're right.

I like you.
Aw, thank you!! See, we're all just people in the end!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 PM

605 posts, read 2,290,263 times
C'mon - get a room!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
C'mon - get a room!

ROFL Were you feeling left out?!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:13 PM

23,883 posts, read 68,512,209 times
Quote:
The Swedes are moving out of their country "in droves" b/c of their violent Muslim population according to a Swedish newspaper.
According to which newspaper? Do you have a link?
This is just a lie.I have never heard of anyone moving out of here because of the muslims.
And certainly not in droves.
The muslims is not more violent than anyone else.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:15 PM

7,008 posts, read 6,531,294 times
Europeans have an inferiority complex about America and Americans, always have, always will. They think they've got the entire country of 300 million people figured out after watching "Baywatch". The sad thing is they really know nothing about this great country of ours other than the anti-American propaganda their media feeds them on a daily basis. That's why they think America is full of nothing but fat people who eat hamburgers all day long and shoot at their neighbors.

And then they brag about how much more educated, cultured, and worldly they are compared to the U.S., LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.