Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM

650 posts, read 1,205,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The sad thing is they really know nothing about this great country of ours other than the anti-American propaganda their media feeds them on a daily basis. That's why they think America is full of nothing but fat people who eat hamburgers all day long and shoot at their neighbors.
Our media never gave us that impression, dear, the Simpsons did. Anyhow, if you're country's as "great" as you say, why did you name yourself after a FRENCH car?

C'est un peu bizarre, n'est-ce pas?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,325,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWoman View Post
The Swedes are moving out of their country "in droves" b/c of their violent Muslim population according to a Swedish newspaper. The liberal Europeans, who are really the ones who are more anti-America, are destroying Europe/Britain.
Where did you get this information

Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Europeans have an inferiority complex about America and Americans, always have, always will. They think they've got the entire country of 300 million people figured out after watching "Baywatch". The sad thing is they really know nothing about this great country of ours other than the anti-American propaganda their media feeds them on a daily basis. That's why they think America is full of nothing but fat people who eat hamburgers all day long and shoot at their neighbors.

And then they brag about how much more educated, cultured, and worldly they are compared to the U.S., LOL.
They are smarter than that. You say that Europeans know nothing about The US. Why do you think you know everything about them. What makes you such an authority?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:41 PM

63 posts, read 194,530 times
Everytime one of these threads gets posted..its the same thing...

...look...basic human psychology..

People are going to associate themselves into groups based upon their surroundings, religious beliefs, political beliefs, personal life philosophies, and most-importantly..where they live.

Since the end of the cold war the "us" in the "us vs. them" has shifted for european nations. NATO vs. Warsaw Pact was the game...i think the world has moved past that, and now we can focus on less important issues (that don't involve worldwide nuclear annihilation)..such as achieving economic parity w/ the US, laughing about our president (who doesn't?), and making fun of americans for being fat...

...Let's all hope that we can always have such (sometimes) trivial groups to associate ourselves with..I'd rather see silly banter go back and forth between people on these forums about which side of the Atlantic is "better" than ever have to be in the same cold war situation that forced all freedom-loving nations to unite against a common and dangerous enemy.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,029 times
Default don't rationalize hatred

anti-americanism is just about the only -ism that is somehow acceptable. This is wrong.

try making equally ridiculous statements about "Jews", "Blacks" , "Chinks" "Gooks", etc, and you would stop yourself from making those statements.

Don't rationalize hatred.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM

605 posts, read 2,378,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone34 View Post
anti-americanism is just about the only -ism that is somehow acceptable. This is wrong.

try making equally ridiculous statements about "Jews", "Blacks" , "Chinks" "Gooks", etc, and you would stop yourself from making those statements.

What a great first post!

So - let me get this right - -isms are not acceptable? So it's not ok with you for people to be Jewish, as Jews practice Judaism?*

I think you just expressed yourself badly, but I also think that your inference that anti-Americanism equates to racism isn't entirely correct. Many of the posts here refer to how non-Americans view U.S. politics, foreign policy etc. or at least being anti-the country rather than the people.

Does this make all of this acceptable? Possibly - or possibly not. But it is acceptable to have a rational discussion about this on an internet forum.

*add to list of the countless other -isms which are deemed perfectly ok to the sane majority.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Apples and oranges.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post

but I also think that your inference that anti-Americanism equates to racism isn't entirely correct. Many of the posts here refer to how non-Americans view U.S. politics, foreign policy etc. or at least being anti-the country rather than the people.
It is correct when Americans are treated poorly because of their association with the politics, foreign policy, etc

And please don't tell me that Americans are not treated poorly in London because of this. That would be essentially pissing on me, and telling me that it's raining.

Concerning the cultural stereotypes: If people treated people as individuals, and not as not as stereotypes, it would not be prejudice. Unfortunately, people do, so it is not very different from how people treat other stereotyped groups.

Last edited by someone34; 06-30-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: adding more

Old 06-30-2008, 02:32 PM

605 posts, read 2,378,089 times
Quote:
It is correct when Americans are treated poorly because of their association with the politics, foreign policy, etc

And please don't tell me that Americans are not treated poorly in London because of this. That would be essentially pissing on me, and telling me that it's raining.

Concerning the cultural stereotypes: If people treated people as individuals, and not as not as stereotypes, it would not be prejudice. Unfortunately, people do, so it is not very different from how people treat other stereotyped groups.
Assuming that you're actually living/have lived in London (and therefore know what you're talking about) then have you considered whether this is just how people have treated you based on your own behaviour? We've already seen many examples on this thread of pro-American sentiment expressed in a way that the majority of non-Americans would find quite distasteful.

Maybe an umbrella would help?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM

23,862 posts, read 71,268,230 times
Quote:
Europeans have an inferiority complex about America and Americans, always have, always will. They think they've got the entire country of 300 million people figured out after watching "Baywatch". The sad thing is they really know nothing about this great country of ours other than the anti-American propaganda their media feeds them on a daily basis. That's why they think America is full of nothing but fat people who eat hamburgers all day long and shoot at their neighbors.

And then they brag about how much more educated, cultured, and worldly they are compared to the U.S., LOL.
So you think you know everything about europeans?
I don´t recognise myself or anyone I know in your description.
There are no anti-american propaganda in our media what so ever.
Your prejudice of our prejudice is very prejudiced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.