U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:19 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,430,556 times

Advertisements

Sweden is indeed a very pro-American country. It was during the Cold War as well against the perceived Soviet threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
So you think you know everything about europeans?
I don´t recognise myself or anyone I know in your description.
There are no anti-american propaganda in our media what so ever.
Your prejudice of our prejudice is very prejudiced.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,664,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Assuming that you're actually living/have lived in London (and therefore know what you're talking about) then have you considered whether this is just how people have treated you based on your own behaviour? We've already seen many examples on this thread of pro-American sentiment expressed in a way that the majority of non-Americans would find quite distasteful.

Maybe an umbrella would help?
I'm sure some Americans find comments they hear from non-Americans to be distasteful also. It is arrogant for others to act as if Americans are so much lower culturally. They're essentially saying they are better also.
It's the double standard again. To act as if all Europeans are above anti-Americanism is ridiculous. There are some Europeans who have anti-American views that are based on prejudice of the culture and American people, just as there are a few stereotypical Americans who get obnoxious in their pride.
People want to deny it when they are anti-American because of cultural differences. Like I said before, many claim government policies as the only reason, when it clearly isn't. They don't want to address that they dislike American people, even though their comments strongly allude to it. I'm not talking about this message board only, although it is skirted around here as well. It's something I've noticed whenever discussions like this crop up anywhere. People bash American people, then when called on it they say it's just cuz they dislike Bush. Well what does that have to do with American behavior in general? And isn't disliking a culture for being different from your own bigotry?

I also will mention that we've had friends visiting from Norway recently and they said there is propaganda in their news media about the US, & that many people there have incredibly stupid stereotypes about Americans. Some of the stuff the wife told us was just ridiculous. Having traveled a lot through the US, her family obviously has a more accurate view of this country than the people she speaks to at home who have never left Norway.
The wife was born in the US and partially raised here & in Norway, has lived there over 20 years now, and her husband and children are Norwegian. The prejudice the wife has experienced for being an American citizen (despite speaking Norwegian perfectly with no accent and being ethnically Norwegian) is one reason she wants to move to California. Even her children have been picked on for being "half American". So anti-Americanism is a real thing in Norway anyway.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM

11,711 posts, read 8,547,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWoman View Post
This shocked me, too, Ogle. And what shocked me even more is the fact that anti-Americanism has been going on in Europe/Britain since the beginning of America. All they needed was a real reason to hate America, and they took us having a bad leader and gladly ran with it. As if they have never had any bad leaders. They have entire TV shows/shows on Britain's equivalent to Broadway doing nothing but putting down & making fun of Americans. Who would have thought Europeans/Brits would be so insecure and immature. In fact, this show was sold out every single night and was the longest running show ever on Britain's equivalent to Broadway. Any show about any other people in the world doing nothing but putting another people down would bore Americans to death. This is a huge difference in Americans and Europeans/Brits. They make fun of us for some of the most ridiculous, pathetic, immature things....things such as grade school children would say and think. They always hate and make fun of each other. This is just something Americans have never been obsessed with.

It has hit most Americans like a ton of bricks, considering we always thought of Europeans/Brits as our older cousins/friends across the pond. Secondly, we thought they were sophisticated, secure people versus very uncouth people who act more like grade school bullies. Making fun of Americans by trying to portray all Americans as being fat, lazy, ignorant rednecks is more like something I would expect from Arab Muslims in the east, not Europeans/Brits. It seems that our friends/cousins across the pond have more in common with their Muslim population than they do with us.

It isn't "all" Europeans/Brits, of course, but it is a majority of them. And, yes, their media has a hell of a lot to do with it. They say our things are in their faces and try to say we are trying to do away with their "superior" culture and substitute it with ours. I don't recall us twisting their arms, though, to buy our things, watch our movies, listen to our music, etc, do you?

Many Europeans/Brits are moving from their countries because of their violent Muslim populations. Haven't you noticed we have a whole lot more Brits on our TV shows/movies/commercials lately? The Swedes are moving out of their country "in droves" b/c of their violent Muslim population according to a Swedish newspaper. The liberal Europeans, who are really the ones who are more anti-America, are destroying Europe/Britain.

You should get the book "The United States of Europe" by T.R. Ried to learn more about all of this craziness. Personally, I think these Europeans/Brits are shooting themselves in the foot. If anyone is trying to change their countries/cultures, it would be their Muslim populations. But as usual, hatred extremism will blind people of their true problems. This also has a lot to do with trying to find an enemy that will unite Europeans under the EU. In my opinion, though, they have chosen the wrong enemy. The future for Europe will prove this to be very true, in my opinion. If Europeans and Americans were smart we would stick together. This is our only chance of survival of our freedoms in the future.
Over reacting there body. Euroreans for example don't have more similar views with muslims than americans, not even close.
If we asked Americans how many are "anti-american"/against their own government, which is what the europeans are answering to, we would find the OP's % responces much HIGHER!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Assuming that you're actually living/have lived in London (and therefore know what you're talking about) then have you considered whether this is just how people have treated you based on your own behaviour? We've already seen many examples on this thread of pro-American sentiment expressed in a way that the majority of non-Americans would find quite distasteful.

Maybe an umbrella would help?
ahh, the blame it on the American response....that's original.

Deny...Deny...at all costs, deny!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 6,793 times
OrangeApple,
very good points. i agree.

For some interesting links re stereotypes and media, see the
PBS (US Public Broadcasting System)

YouTube - The Anti-Americans pt. 1
Note" there are 6 parts- so pick and choose, one of them focuses on media distortions of American/Americans

YouTube - "The Anti-Americans" -- French puppets news satire
and yeah,to eveyone else. here, ..

Anti-American stuff sells very well here in the UK- Team America World Police, Jerry Springer the Opera (yes, there is one), etc I really hope that most people don;t take the at stuff as typical...though, based on four years of interaction with 20 and 30 somethings here, I begin to wonder.
If I went around thinking that British were all characters out of Upstairs/ Downstairs or Benny Hill ,it would be pretty ridiculous/obnoxious...

For political stuff- hmm..see Revel and other writers on the topic
For humour, offensive retorts, see the Eric Svane's 'Americans Anonymous' site. ("I hear Europe did a 'bang-up' job with Africa" is one line you can use if you want to stoop to an offensive person's level)
And denying Anti-americanism is about as genuine/believable as denying the fact that social class still matters in the UK (it's impolite to agree, but it's the ugly truth.). Like I said, denying is pure *******s.

For kicks, find instances of americans getting spit on/ verbally attacked in London, just Google a little.or the guy at Prospect Magazine who wore Americ cufflinks in London, only to get this sort of treatment

Try blaming all these on me--When the travel agent in London who was really nice to me up until the point of me handing in my passport (to book the flight) awkwardly said..."Ohhh...., I thought you were Canadian" {had a similar sitaution in France - where I was refused service at a traveler's check place when she saw my American passport (it was going smoothly when I was speaking fluently in French up until that point- perhaps I was a Quebecois in her eyes at first ?)
I have too many stories....almost refused service (polite and sober) at an English pub when i wore my baseball cap ...the owner noticed that I was being ignored for 10 plus minutes by the barmaid in favour of tons of Europeans and made her apologize)
My friend got the same no beer treatment with a Red Sox hat too (at a diff place)

Having said all this, as an American in London, I have to look for the best in people, and try to show my best. that's all i can do.

people are people, we gotta get over this b.s. stereotype thing...
(if i were black, I would have to deal with worse, I'm sure...).
just don't insult me by telling me that it doesn't exist--it's stereotyping and it's hatred- pure and simple

Last edited by someone34; 06-30-2008 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,289,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone34 View Post
OrangeApple,
very good points. i agree.

For some interesting links re stereotypes and media, see the
PBS (US Public Broadcasting System)

YouTube - The Anti-Americans pt. 1
Note" there are 6 parts- so pick and choose, one of them focuses on media distortions of American/Americans

YouTube - "The Anti-Americans" -- French puppets news satire
and yeah,to eveyone else. here, ..

Anti-American stuff sells very well here in the UK- Team America World Police, Jerry Springer the Opera (yes, there is one), etc I really hope that most people don;t take the at stuff as typical...though, based on four years of interaction with 20 and 30 somethings here, I begin to wonder.
If I went around thinking that British were all characters out of Upstairs/ Downstairs or Benny Hill ,it would be pretty ridiculous/obnoxious...

For political stuff- hmm..see Revel and other writers on the topic
For humour, offensive retorts, see the Eric Svane's 'Americans Anonymous' site. ("I hear Europe did a 'bang-up' job with Africa" is one line you can use if you want to stoop to an offensive person's level)
And denying Anti-americanism is about as genuine/believable as denying that social class still matters in the UK (it's impolite to agree, but it's the ugly truth.). Like I said, denying it isn't there is pure *******s.

For kicks, find instances of americans getting spit on/ verbally attacked in London, just Google a little.or the guy at Prospect Magazine who wore Americ cufflinks in London, only to get this sort of treatment

Try blaming all these on me--When the travel agent who was really nice to me up until the point of me handing in my passport (to book the flight) awkwardly said..."Ohhh...., I thought you were Canadian" {had a similar sitaution in France - where I was refused service at a traveler's check place when she saw my American passport (it was going smoothly when I was speaking fluently in French up until that point- perhaps I was a Quebecois in her eyes at first ?)
I have to many stories....almost refused service (polite and sober) at an English pub when i wore my baseball cap ...the owner noticed that I was being ignored for 10 plus minutes by the barmaid in favour of tons of Europeans and made her apologize)
My friend got the same no beer treatment with a Red Sox hat too (at a diff place)

Having said all this, as an American in London, I have to look for the best in people, and try to show my best. that's all i can do.

people are people, we gotta get over this b.s. stereotype thing...
(if i were black, I would have to deal with worse, I'm sure...).
just don't insult me by telling me that it doesn't exist--it's stereotyping and it's hatred- pure and simple
I'm sorry - as far as I'm concerned this post proves exactly my point. You are clearly out looking for trouble.

In all my years in London I have met many Americans and also had a number of American working colleagues, none of whom ever relayed any stories of the like you are mentioning here. I submit once again that the attitudes you are encountering are probably a direct result of how you are behaving towards the people you meet. Stereotypes are bad - I completely agree - but if you go around conforming to them then you can't expect a warm response.

If you want to see how Americans are treated generally with warmth and kindness when in the UK then have a look at UK-Yankee Forum - Index
where there are a great number of Americans discussing their experiences in the UK. Sure - it's not all rosy for everyone on there - homesickness and cultural differences can cause problems for people everywhere - and yes, there are of course a minority in any country who will be distrustful of outsiders - but by an large you'll see discussions from a large group of American expats who are embracing and enjoying their adventure in the UK.

Out of interest, did you get on with people back home?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,069,800 times
Enough, already.

These kinds of threads always seem to degenerate to this same point where they become merely a verbose version of "Oh yeah! Yeah!"

Let's move on to something more productive, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.