U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,708,433 times

Advertisements

What is funny in your country?

I'm American and there are some things I find funny that fit the typical American humor, and there some things that I don't find funny that fit it. I think our comedies here have gotten less & less funny in recent years.

How would you compare your country's humor to what other countries are known for, and any interesting experiences while traveling or living in a foreign country where something that was meant to be funny didn't quite translate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 04:39 AM

281 posts, read 1,284,154 times
Well, Germans are not really known for their humour... so I post something from our British neighbours. British humour can be so funny, but it is definitely not for everybody:

British humour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an example, my all-time favourite: Monty Pythons fight of the black knight

YouTube - Monty Python- The Black Knight Fight

(Admins, please delete if it is too brutal )

Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 AM

322 posts, read 587,894 times
Default German Humor

Well, here is one from Getmany. Sorry it involves Bush, a bit stereotypical, I know. But very funny nevertheless, I think:

YouTube - Bush Pilot (with English subtitles)

Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,628,152 times
Aussie Humour, Is typically, Black, Dry, Ironic, Self Mocking and often quite extreme.

YouTube - Adam Hills - Australian accents

Just for fun

YouTube - Australia Day Speech comedy

YouTube - Aussie Humour

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 06-19-2008 at 04:32 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 03:59 PM

650 posts, read 1,164,638 times
Funny, I just read a newspaper article exploring this national-humour concept. An Irish comedian pointed out that a lot of British humour pokes fun at others, while the Irish poke fun at ourselves.

And when I think of the funniest comedians/skits/books I've read that are Irish and funny...I think he's right! Our family's favourite Irish humour might be Father Ted (television), and Tommy Tiernan (comedian)

Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM

602 posts, read 1,862,239 times
I (and about 8 million people before me) have noticed that a popular trope in British humor is the juxtaposition of a wise servant with his/her blithering idiot employer (e.g. P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves and Wooster" stories, "Blackadder"). It's probably some of the funniest stuff outside of Python.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM

48,507 posts, read 91,339,621 times
In america ;I find that Cajun humor which is always about themselves is funny.I frankly have grown tired of all the vulgar humor these days.Even the political humor is kind of tiring these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World