Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:13 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Italia! I LOVE Italy! I went to Italy last summer...visited Roma, Campania, Napoli, Pompeii. It was the greatest vacation I ever had. I loved the lifestyle, the people, the history. It was all simply amazing! It is sad though, that Italy isn't doing well these days, because Italy is one of the most awesome countries in the world.

Yes, Italy is a small, dense country. And the U.S. has tons of space, which I like. But your food is still better!

PS. Have you considered moving to America?
Hi mackinac81, I'm happy to listen that you like Italy and the people but for me, America is the best!
Italian food is very good but..I like American and Mexican food and..your desserts!!! I'm very greedy!

yes, my dream is live in USA but I know that is it possible
I have been some States and..WOW... I like it!!!!Where do you live?
I feel very well when I'm there! AMERICA, I MISS YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
All the while you hear about politicians raising their income while normal workers have to work 10-12 hours a day for 3,66 USD per hour.
I can read from your post that you are frustrated and scared... however for the people that don't know the overall situation in Germany we should mention some facts:

The wage you mention is what is being paid for so-called "Mini-Jobs". Things you do with no or low education (replenish supermarket stocks, coffeeshop waiter, etc.) which does not equal to the "normal worker" IMO. There is a reason why Germany is considered being a high wage country overall.

High prices do bother me, too... especially energy and gas. But I think you take a rather easy way by blaming the EU. Neither was the real inflation as high as perceived, nor is the European Central Bank at fault for the price increase of your yoghurt.

You may take a look at the rather interesting website below. It does display the development of prices, offers a "personal-inflation-calculator" and answers the OP's question showing Germanys major economic indicators:

Federal Statistical Office - Price monitor (http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/Navigation/Statistics/TimeSeries/EconomicIndicators/Pricemonitor/Overview__nk.psml - broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
I can read from your post that you are frustrated and scared... however for the people that don't know the overall situation in Germany we should mention some facts:

The wage you mention is what is being paid for so-called "Mini-Jobs". Things you do with no or low education (replenish supermarket stocks, coffeeshop waiter, etc.) which does not equal to the "normal worker" IMO. There is a reason why Germany is considered being a high wage country overall.

High prices do bother me, too... especially energy and gas. But I think you take a rather easy way by blaming the EU. Neither was the real inflation as high as perceived, nor is the European Central Bank at fault for the price increase of your yoghurt.

You may take a look at the rather interesting website below. It does display the development of prices, offers a "personal-inflation-calculator" and answers the OP's question showing Germanys major economic indicators:

Federal Statistical Office - Price monitor (http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/Navigation/Statistics/TimeSeries/EconomicIndicators/Pricemonitor/Overview__nk.psml - broken link)
Maybe I didn't explain very well. I don't want to blame the EU but the German government b/c they used the Euro to push up prices unnecessarily at the beginning.

However I try to make the best of the situation. I have deep roots and I'm not much into moving.
If I could take my whole family I'd probably move to a different country. France seems to be very attractive as well as the Netherlands. That's why I have to stick and be content with what I have

Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM

476 posts, read 2,818,160 times
The economy is not good in France:unemployment 8%
people always save 15% of their income.And there are always a lot of aid: 400 euros by month for the unemployed person,free health,free public transport.................

Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
People in the US have been blinded in the last 8-10 years by the media, by endless distraction (celebrities, Angelina Jolie's babies, etc). We had media in the 90's, but it didn't seem as blinding as it does now.

On one of the new shows (I think Fox news), they have this segment..the world in 60 seconds, or something like that. People here aren't very well informed of whats going on in the rest of the world. Not a good omen.

If it continues, we'll wake up in 10-20 years. China and Asia will have passed us by.

There use to be game shows, Candid Camera. But these new shows are more annoying, more distracting. The big negative here is how distracted and uninformed people are. If they were focused and informed, we might be doing better.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 12,635 times
Russia now entering slowdown after few years of good progress. Level of unemployment increasing, prices are at the same level (only gasoline become cheaper), but decreasing in salaries take place in some spheres of activity.
Since october, decrease in bank credits given occurs.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hi mackinac81, I'm happy to listen that you like Italy and the people but for me, America is the best!
Italian food is very good but..I like American and Mexican food and..your desserts!!! I'm very greedy!

yes, my dream is live in USA but I know that is it possible
I have been some States and..WOW... I like it!!!!Where do you live?
I feel very well when I'm there! AMERICA, I MISS YOU!
You want to trade houses? You can be living in America by noon on Saturday.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 AM

63 posts, read 119,353 times
Default different countries,,,Iceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi!

After watching the news here in America I got to thinking about how angry, discontent and anxious Americans are about the government, gas prices, immigration, inflation and the future. (etc...). It seems that Americans aren't happy about anything. My personal life is quite content, and I'm not a huge complainer, but I do worry about America's future sometimes.

And I got to wondering: How are people in other countries feeling about their government, their life and how content they are in there country, if at all.

Oh, and please say which country you're from.

Mackinac
Hi, my name is Margret and I´m from Iceland.It was great to live here until the recession caught up to us. We are having many problems with the Icelandic currency which we should have changed many years ago..our money is worthless. Iceland is very unique country..amazing with all the very modern housing and buildings here. The women are very beautfiul and people lean many languages here..English,Danish, Norweigan, etc. Many of the younger people are moving abroad because of a better future and the IceSave accounts (big scandal) are going to be paid up by the public,,which is very unfair because it isnt our fault that an Icelandic bank abroad in England went bankrupt and many accounts throughout the world were emptied and the Icelandic government is forcing the public to pay for these accounts...we are so amazed..what a farce. The country is very beautiful and the people here are very talented and very highly educated but the government has always been lousy. Hopefull y the world will get on it´s feet as soon as possible,,but you know,,there is enough of resources in the world that no one should have to go hungry and penniless...we just have to work together...the money system doesn´t seem to work out, does it, but we need something of value between hands..take care..

Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 AM

48 posts, read 93,624 times
My grandpa quotes Paul Harvey whenever it seems like the world as we know it may end. He said "In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these." I imagine we Americans were just as discontent and anxious in the 1930s and the 1960s as we are now.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
The economy here could be better, but us Scots always seem to pull through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World