Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Flag is more Beautiful?
Union Jack 97 50.00%
American Flag 99 51.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times

Advertisements

I like the US better, but prefer the british flag. Best imo is the bars and stripes of the confederate flag (coming from a person that roots union)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I like the US better, but prefer the british flag. Best imo is the bars and stripes of the confederate flag (coming from a person that roots union)
Don't even get me started on the at treasonous rag.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM

18 posts, read 73,527 times
Thumbs up Union Jack rocks!!!

And quite later, Def Leppard did the same, nice shirt with the Union Jack, so for me, that makes an extra point between both of them.

By the way, good history class about how the Union Jack is formmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
They are both nice flags and both are quite iconic.

Union Jacks were very trendy here when I was a teenager as they symbolized Rock & Roll. Probably came from the Who wearing those cool jackets.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarriott View Post
Well i have read all the comments on the two Flags. firstly and this is my opinion only but both Flags hold great history but of course as the Star and Stripes is a modern design it might look more appealing. The older the countries flag the more basic the design. Hence when you view the Georges Cross (English Flag) its just a red cross, the same with the scottish flag etc etc, combined under the Union of King James then they start to look a little more interesting.

I also wanted to try and answer a one question that a person posed. The Union Jack is the incorrect name for the British Flag. The correct Name is the Union Flag. It can only be called the Union Jack when flown on a Ship. I think its a Naval Ship but I cannot remember where I read that. Maybe someone can confrim. However the Union Jack sounds a little more interesting hence most people refer to the flag with this name.
Yes, The "Union Jack" is a Small flag flown on the Jack Staff, From the Bow of a British Warship...Though the Navy Often Used the term, No matter what the use of the Flag?

The general use of the term is fairly recent, Dating back to the early 1900's..The roots of the term though, Reaches back To almost the same time as the creation of the flag, Though it was still an unoffical term. At the time, It was just known as The Flag of Britian and was given royal proclamation, As the "Union Flag".

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-13-2008 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
I think the Union Jack is a lot more catching to the eye, but the American flag has much better symbolism. Does anyone know what the Union Jack symbolizes?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I think the Union Jack is a lot more catching to the eye, but the American flag has much better symbolism. Does anyone know what the Union Jack symbolizes?
Post No. 2

The flag does nothing more, Than symbolise The two realms (England and Scotland) that came under King James 1st's rule (Ireland was added later).

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-14-2008 at 02:22 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
mmarriott, you are correct, it can only be called the "Union Jack" when displayed on a ship. The US flag with just the blue and stars is also called a "Union Jack" it is also displayed on ships.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harahap View Post
I like the symmetry of the Union Jack. It's striking.
This is a common misconception. It's not symmetrical (unless you count rotational symmetry). If you look closely, you will see how the cross of St Patrick (the red diagonal cross) isn't sitting directly in the middle of the white cross of St Andrew. This means that it is possible to fly the Union Flag upside down.
To correctly display the flag, it should be flown with the wider white line towards the top on the side it is attached to the flagpole. If you fly it upside down, it is an insult to the Crown and actually a crime!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM

129 posts, read 324,878 times
I like the Union Jack better

Old 08-19-2008, 01:00 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
A question for the Brits:

If Northern Ireland ever reverts back to Ireland proper, do you believe that the UK will feel compelled to drop the diagonal red cross of St. Patrick from it's flag and return to the Union Flag of 1606? Would a change like that in your flag feel really weird to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World