Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The brightest city in the World
New York City 30 24.39%
London 8 6.50%
Tokyo 49 39.84%
Dubai 7 5.69%
Shanghai 10 8.13%
Hong Kong 21 17.07%
Paris 14 11.38%
Rome 5 4.07%
Jakarta 1 0.81%
Frankfurt 5 4.07%
Manila 0 0%
Other 17 13.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,715,708 times

Advertisements

NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,377,484 times
According to here:

The Extent of Urbanization in the Southwest As Viewed from Space (http://geochange.er.usgs.gov/sw/changes/anthropogenic/city_lights/ - broken link)

Las Vegas is the brightest city on earth.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM

895 posts, read 2,368,507 times
Actually las vegas does use the brightest lights but how are you judging the brightest city? Las vegas is tiny compared to other major cities, meaning while the lights are brighter its only in a tiny area. And I actually just read that the lights in tokyo from space give a blue-green light.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-18-2009 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM

321 posts, read 961,548 times
Clearly there are a lot of different interpretations of brightest. Frankly I don't think it makes much difference how bright any city looks from space because the vast majority of us will never see cities that way.

By the same token, it should be pointed out that Las Vegas has a handful of dazzling streets, but that would be something like less than 1% of all of the streets in the city, no? The same goes for Tokyo which has very bright commercial districts but far more dimly lit streets covering vast areas of the city.

Should streetlights be the yardstick for measuring the brightness of a city? If so, I have flown into numerous desert cities in places like Saudi Arabia or other parts of the Middle East with miles and miles of bright sodium streetlights lighting every inch of the empty treeless lots or small dusty houses.

So clearly there is not much point in a "my city is brighter than your city" argument although it is quite interesting to see the sort of elements that people like to put forward to support their point.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,388,749 times
How is Las Vegas not on the list???????

Old 11-14-2009, 01:46 AM

10 posts, read 26,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
Clearly there are a lot of different interpretations of brightest. Frankly I don't think it makes much difference how bright any city looks from space because the vast majority of us will never see cities that way.
The way I read the poll, in fact, was, "how does space look from the city?" Not many stars to be seen at night in Hong Kong, even when the pollution isn't too bad.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,924,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
youd be an idiot to vote for NYC over Tokyo on this one.. crap, the american patriotism really has no limits. have you even seen pictures of tokyo? in downtown tokyo every intersection is a times square!! and some are even bigger than the one in new york (like the shibuya crossing.. ugh..)
Because this is an American forum genius. Plenty of people get on here that haven't been or researched many places so they vote for what they are familiar with. It's strange that you get on an American website to insult Americans!

I do agree that Tokyo is probably the brightest city on Earth. However, largest single illuminating area in the world is clearly the Northeastern US corridor with the one in Southern Japan being a close second. It looks a bit longer longer but is not as thick due to the mountainous nature of the island.

On a side note it's interesting to look at the pattern of settlement in Russia, especially East of Moscow. Civilization clearly follows and builds up along the railroads.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM

324 posts, read 670,214 times
Las Vegas is the brightest city in the world. Tokyo comes in at second.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,924,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Las Vegas is the brightest city in the world. Tokyo comes in at second.
Source?

Las Vegas just simply isn't large enough to emit as much light as Tokyo...I know that certain lights used in parts of Las Vegas are the brightest in the world but I'd guess NYC is the brightest American city.

The way I'm thinking of brightness is that if aliens were on their way to visit Earth and if they were flying in at night which city lights would they see first while still far off?

Night Satellite Photos | Earth, U.S., Europe, World | Geology.com

Looking at this map I highly doubt our alien friends would see Las Vegas first.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:18 AM

324 posts, read 670,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Source?

Las Vegas just simply isn't large enough to emit as much light as Tokyo...I know that certain lights used in parts of Las Vegas are the brightest in the world but I'd guess NYC is the brightest American city.

The way I'm thinking of brightness is that if aliens were on their way to visit Earth and if they were flying in at night which city lights would they see first while still far off?

Night Satellite Photos | Earth, U.S., Europe, World | Geology.com

Looking at this map I highly doubt our alien friends would see Las Vegas first.
Las Vegas is the brightest city in the world from space

Las Vegas is the brightest city in the world as seen from? « Cafe Arjun – 15 times Wordpress Top Blog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World