U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

34 posts, read 96,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
A lot depends on how you define diversity, but I would put Los Angeles at pretty close to the top of any list for most diverse places in the world. In the LAUSD instruction is in 92 different languages and over 225 languages are spoken at home.

In the barrios of Los Angeles you can find immigrants whose second language after their mother tongue isn't English, but Spanish. So you have this phenomon of Korean merchants who are fluent in Spanish and Korean, but can't really speak English. In the barrios of Los Angeles you can merchants with the 'se hablo inglese' signs out front, something that outside of Los Angeles, you mostly see in places like Mexico. You can find communities of Amerindian speakers among the immigrant communties from central America. For a lot of countries in central america, their immigrant communties in LA would constitute the second largest city in there home country.

You also have huge persian, thai, vietnamese, chinese, armenian, filipino communties. It tough to come up with a country that doesn't have an expatriot community in Los Angeles. You have a substantial brazilian, cuban and east asian indian communties. You have Sudanese and Ethopian communties. Its this breath and depth of these immigrant communties that is truely impressive.

I am sure that you have substantial immigrant communties in New York, Chicago and Miami as well, but I wouldn't be suprised if the immigrant communties in LA are bigger than NYC and I am pretty sure that they are bigger than Chicago or Miami.
I really agree! I'm from Los Angeles, and it's not only one of the most culturally and linguistically diverse, but also one of the most integrated--much more social mixing and less segregated. Playing soccer/futbol all my life, I met and became friends with people from many, many countries around the world. I love trying foreign languages and cuisines, and travelling abroad, and playing soccer gave me even greater exposure to the world's cultures converging in Los Angeles. I've always felt that the City of Angels was a place for migrants from across the nation and across the world.

Kuala Lumpur is an interesting crossroads, too. Malay, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, British, Dutch, Arabs, and many other groups live there.

NYC, London, Paris, Toronto, Vancouver, Sao Paolo, Lima, Marseilles, Geneva and Malta all have fascinating mixes...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 AM

321 posts, read 882,049 times
Tourists who come to Paris often stay and visit only the most central area. While the tourists themselves are every ethnically diverse since Paris is the most visited city in the world, the majority of the locals that they would see would probably indeed correspond to the ethnic European stereotype of the 'pale rosy-cheeked children' variety.

However, I live in northeastern Paris in one of the most mixed areas of the city. I'm not sure if, as a standard European, I am in an ethnic minority in my neighborhood, but if I am not, it must be pretty damned close -- and I love it that way, because it puts a lot of things in perspective. My neighborhood is full of colorfully dressed African women with babies tied to their backs, Chinese hairdressers and grocers and florists, hallal butcher shops, Indian restaurants and temples -- in the same block that I live on, there are two Srilankan temples and one African mosque (not to be confused with the Maghrebi mosque two blocks away). There are African restaurants and Chinese supermarkets, Turkish kebab stands open until 5am and a Breton crepe stand run by Algerians. The bazaar type stores are run by Pakistanis and Egyptians, and perhaps the most surprising aspect of the neighborhood is that many of the French citizens of the area speak English better than French. Of course, they speak Tamil better than English, because they are from the former French enclave of Pondicherry, India and retained their citizenship when it was returned to Indian control...

Anyway, you get the picture, but what is really nice is that we all live together and get along just fine. There is no ethnic tension at all, and I wouldn't want to move to a more traditional Parisian neighborhood if you paid me.

If you are in Paris on August 30th, I highly recommend the annual Ganesha (elephant god) procession that starts at the foot of my building and which brings together tens of thousands of Indians, Srilankans and Bengalis from the entire Paris metropolitan area, all dressed in their most fabulous jewel-studded attire.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 83,795 times
mmmmmmmmmm............I think New York, but don't forget Tokio, London, Toronto and Paris of course(The most beautiful city for me)

Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM

30 posts, read 83,795 times
oh I'm sorry and LA too .......

Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 AM

287 posts, read 942,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
want to know the most diverse city? find the city with the highest crime rate, there's your answer
Heh, oh yeah. Toronto's crime rate is pretty bad.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:25 AM

114 posts, read 285,720 times
Moderator cut: Leave out the personal attacks

There are several cities in the United States and in the world that have diversity and live in peace. In addition to that, you can never avoid conflicts, especially in the US. The US has build segregation that has caused wide gaps between the ethnicities. Of course there tend to be tensions between them, but they are not related to their ethnicity, but FAR more to social differences. E.g. European welfare states have a very low crime rate. Why? Because they reduce social differences. The US tries to avoid that by any means.
What about Johannesburg or Philadelphia? Or Baghdad? Are those cities very diverse? Not really, but they have a seriously high crime rate.
1st NYC is the most diverse city.
2nd After that, I would say Cairo (3rd), Sao Paulo (4th), and Dubai (5th).
6th Followed by the biggest cities in the Americas and Asia.
~51th THEN London, Paris and major European cities.
70th And far behind: Tokyo.
Tokyo is definitely not diverse! Who in the world told you that Tokyo is diverse? Every major city in the US and in Germany is more diverse than Tokyo. I think even Nairobi, Kenya is more diverse. I think also that it is always funny to hear that Europeans call their cities the most diverse in the whole world. Compared to the 98% white villages, London seems to be the most diverse place on earth. But it is not. I used to live in Europe and Europe is no comparison to many cities in Asia and the Americas i nterms of diversity.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-03-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: answer to aggo and moose1234

Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 PM

2,698 posts, read 2,210,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The white man is the minority in lots of places. Trust me.

I think the places with the most diversity are Los Angeles, The San Francisco Bay Area, New York, London, Toronto and Amsterdam.
If you haven't noticed, the white man is in the minority worldwide. Europeans and people of European descent don't make up even 20% of the total human population.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM

2,698 posts, read 2,210,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the U.S. I nominate Houston, Texas, while in Canada Toronto, Ontario.
There are cities in the United States that are far more racially and ethnically diverse than Houston. Hispanics are approaching 50% of the city's population while the percentages of whites and blacks are in decline. Cities like New York City and Chicago present more racial and ethnic diversity than Houston.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:33 PM

321 posts, read 882,049 times
These posts always seem to turn into a contest. I don't think that any of us here could possibly be an expert on every city in the world and make an intelligent response to the question.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 22,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My hometown, a bordering suburb of New York City is pretty diverse. According to the Board of Education, its students come from households speaking 80 different languages in the home.

It has only 68,000 people in four square-miles, so it is not bound to show up in a poll like this but it proves that you don't have to be New York City, London, Toronto or Singapore to be diverse.

This is the breakdown:

* Black or African American - 60%
* West Indian (excluding Hispanic groups) - 17%
* Jamaican - 13%
* Italian - 11%
* Irish - 4%
* Trinidadian - 3%
* Puerto Rican - 3%
* German - 3%
* Portuguese - 2%
* Mexican - 2%
* Other Hispanic or Latino - 2%
* Sub-Saharan African - 3%
* Asian Indian - 2%
* Brazilian - 2%
* Polish - 1%
* West Indian - 1%
* Haitian - 1%
* South American - 1%
* Dominican Republic - 1%
* English - 1%
* Guyanese - 1%
* Russian - 1%
* Barbadian - 1%
* Central American: - 1%
* British West Indian - 1%
* Greek - 1%
* Colombian - 1%
* French (except Basque) - 1%

ABQConvict
Those numbers are wrong on sooo many levels. lol The total is greater than 100% (I only estimated the math, but I'm guessing around 120%) You listed West Indian at least twice, arguably thrice. You have listed South American and Guyanese, while Guyana is in South America etc etc et cetera.

I live in Doraville, Ga and my small Atlanta suburb is quite diverse. I'm African American, (my mother was born here, but my father is Panamanian). Next door neighbors on the left are an Asian family, next to them is a Caucasian family, next door on the right is Middle Eastern, directly across the street is a Latino family and also directly across the street (this is a corner house) is an African family from Kenya. That's my immediate vicinity, the neighborhood is quite diverse in this way: black, Hispanic, white and Asian.

My high school, Cross Keys was rumored to be the most diverse school in the southeast, representing like 80 countries or something. All kinds of different South American and Asian nationalities and us Africans and Europeans. Our interaction was not akin to having been mixed like jelly beans in a shaken bag, there were culturally aligned cliques, but there were also lots of great times spent with large varieties of variously shaded kids from culturally diverse homes in and out of school and tons of life-long friendships forged with no regard to ethnic lines. (I left high school able to differentiate between Chinese, Vietnamese and Cambodian just by facial features, and also could spot an Eritrean from a mile away, and I greatly enjoyed hanging with skater kids and punks and goths and rockers and fun traditionally "white" subcultures and still I stayed close enough to my roots, I sure love how black kids dance and AAs have a way of speaking that I would have sadly missed if I had to miss the opportunity to be educated with them).

This setting greatly formed my view of my America as being quite the melting pot, and I believe it is even more so than even statistics give it credit for. Consider this, in US census data white includes middle easterners, like Iranians and Iraqis whose history shows are actually mixed race. Also it includes Latinos, which is a mixed race. Mexicans, por exemplo, call themselves La Raza because they are Amerindian, European and African. Mexico doesn't have a significant Afro-Mexicano population because that group was almost completely assimilated and genetic analysis have determined that Mexicans are usually between 5 and 20 percent African. Granted, the census usually has the sub-distinction white non hispanic, but it's just interesting that hispanic is sometimes enveloped by white. Anyway, I suggest that the US is more like 65% of European ancestry (including many European nationalities and ethnicities and a constant influx of European immigrants), and one of the most diverse countries in the world, with the diversity being most profound in places of increased population density. But, we definitely have small diverse towns too, hidden in the hills of Appalachia and rural locales and everything. Last thing, the historical African American population tends to live in the Northeast and Southeast and many of the big cities, but African immigrants, (which are quite the model minority, wikipedia it) come to America and will move anywhere, I met a Ghanian in Elko, Nevada and talked to a young Ghanian that was headed to Kansas once, my brother and I were like "really?". With the global wealth disparities present in the world today, I predict an increasingly diverse America, with osmosis being a good physics analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World