U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,212,696 times

Advertisements

Nyc
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 23,190 times
NYC, LA, Singapore, Kuala Lumper (?)

Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 AM

242 posts, read 691,997 times
Tokyo....
Joking. I think it most rank the least diverse of the major megalopolises.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM

39 posts, read 38,136 times
I lived in both London and NYC each for more than 15 years and the different between the two is the British are biased if you don't speak their language after living in Britain for years. In NYC, I have traveled around and can say that while living there, if you are middle/upper class black, brown or biracial you be lucky to catch a taxi in NYC on your own! All that melting pot and what do we get in most communities like the hood for example? More white firemen who don't even live in the area and right now things are so bad, that the real true colors of most NYC politicians are showing. I couldn't care less if this city is more diverse than this city because at the end of the day what is more important is living side by side in peace. Melbourne wasn't even name up there and I know for a fact other cities around the world are more multiracial and multicultural than NYC since I have traveled around and know people in those cities. My family wanted to move to the west coast in America but I'm looking at Nevada, Florida and Georgia. Right now just read that many Americans half not even retired are moving out of the country to more peaceful cities around the world. That speak volumes that we're tired of the b.s. drama and very aware that for most people in power it's all about themselves not us who just wanted a peaceful lifestyle without the flamethrowers around instigating racial and race conflicts in cities that are supposedly diverse in America.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Forgot to mention that me and my family are looking at moving abroad too. Also it was reported not too long ago how the true crime rate in NYC been manipulated and many people wasn't happy about that.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I think what ivyleaguer meant, which you may or may not have misinterpreted, is that considering the diversity socially/ racially/ ethnically/ economically and sheer size of Toronto, it is far more harmonious & integrated than most any other US city. And in that sense I agree with ivyleaguer in that many US cities can learn various aspects from the Toronto model. However, obviously US cities have different histories, more hostile racial relations, etc, however, Toronto is quite impressive in a certain regard- I was just there & taken aback by how civil & integrated people were, that was my perspective having lived in various big US cities.
F1000, that is exactly what a member of my family said about Toronto, Canada. I lived long enough in NYC to come across too many people who are rude and if anybody don't think so, try taking public transportation and watch how most people jump you, don't give seats up to pregnant women, disabled people or the elders.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 PM

4,855 posts, read 4,109,571 times
No mention of any Australian cities.Both Sydney and Melbourne are diverse and the others beoming so..although not yet on the level of London or New York.
London is by far the most diverse in Europe. I would imagine Paris would come in at second followed by Amsterdam.
Did not find Berlin so diverse,many other cities in Europe have a single large minority,for example Marseilles(North Africans)Bradford(UK)(Pakistanis)etc but don't have the diversity.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,084,410 times
I was going to say any of the Australian capital cities. If you go to the CBD of Adelaide or Melbourne it seems more than 50% of the people are Asian, similar with Perth, Sydney and the Gold Coast with all those tourists. Melbourne has become even more diverse, with no just Asians (that includes Indians), but other groups like South Americans started to be more represented.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 AM

4,855 posts, read 4,109,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to say any of the Australian capital cities. If you go to the CBD of Adelaide or Melbourne it seems more than 50% of the people are Asian, similar with Perth, Sydney and the Gold Coast with all those tourists. Melbourne has become even more diverse, with no just Asians (that includes Indians), but other groups like South Americans started to be more represented.
Australian cities are becoming thankfully more diverse,but becoming is the key word,perhaps,here.
Indeed Melbourne and Sydney have large Oriental populations with the other cities also becoming more numerous,especially Perth.
During the recent past few years a big growth can be seen in the Indian sub continental population,but taking that into account i would say there is not the diversity at this stage,not by a long shot,when compared to New York, LA,London,Paris,Toronto,Vancouver,etc.(few African,West Indian,Middle Eastern,and South American/Latinos very small representation

Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM

9,162 posts, read 13,525,090 times
I think Dallas, Texas seemed very diverse and integrated. Abroad I'd have to say London. One place I found pretty integrated also was Bermuda which I had just visited.

Los Angeles was very diverse but not integrated. The Hispancis and blacks are mostly poor and live in separate neighborhoods. Whites and Asian are mostly wealthy and live together but don't seem to socialize together much. In California it is common for people to not have a single good friend from a different race which I found very shocking and unusual having traveled across America. Many places I've visited where segregation used to be enforced by law seem more integrated today.....in terms of seeing mixed groups of friends socializing, mixed marriages and dating, etc. Here in Maryland many parts of the state have some bad history in the civil rights era but if you take a community with sizable numbers of both black and white people, most people will have at least 2-3 good friends who are of a different race which isn't always true in the parts of California or New Jersey I've visited! With large immigrant communities in LA and the NY area I think that allows for a lot of self-segregation which perpetuates itself in the second generation not connecting with mainstream society and a more and more fractured culture.

Someone said Miami....I'll be visiting in January and have only passed through on the way once from the airport to the cruise ship. I don't know how the Hispancis and the white Americans interact, or if there are large black or Asian populations there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World