U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,838,128 times

Advertisements

Singapore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,933,247 times
Languages Spoken in London

london is the worlds most diverse city, fact. 250 languages spoken in one huge city.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM

193 posts, read 717,597 times
for North America:
Toronto (largest south asian, chinese and filipino community outside of asia)

New York
( nearly everything in one city/largest jewish population of the world)

for Europe:
London
(largest Indian/Pakistani, Sri Lankan community by quantity outside of the Indian Subcontinent)

Paris(many blacks and arabs)

Berlin (largest Turkish/Kurdish and Palestinian Arab community outside of the Middle East; largest Russian and Polish community in (Western-)Europe; 2nd largest Vietnamese community of Europe; i've also noticed a rising number of blacks during my visits.)

Amsterdam (similiar to Berlin)

for South America/Caribbean

Rio de Janeiro (mix between Whites, Blacks, Mixed race and Asians/Amerindians)

Sao Paulo (similiar to Rio)

San Fernando (Trinidad and Tobago) (majority is of South Asian origin, Afro-Caribbean, mixed race, and about 10-15% whites)

for Asia

hmmm don't know

Africa

definetely Pretoria (ZA) or Johannesburg (in regard of Black/White/Mixed people)

Australia

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane

Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 35,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post

for Asia

hmmm don't know

Australia

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
you can add Singapore and Hong Kong for Asia. both of them are the most diverse ever in Asian territories. more like asia's NYC if I may say.

and I do agree about Melbourne in Aussie. I can find different people with different accents every ten meters.

as for myself, NYC is still the most diverse city in the world. London comes second I guess.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinette View Post
you can add Singapore and Hong Kong for Asia. both of them are the most diverse ever in Asian territories. more like asia's NYC if I may say.
yeah, Singaporeans are a mix of Chinese, Malay, Thai and Indian people. Additionally, 50% is of foreign origin and it has a significant number of White people too. (Americans, Australians, Europeans etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinette View Post
as for myself, NYC is still the most diverse city in the world. London comes second I guess.
Statistics say that Toronto is the most diverse city in the world, followed by New York City (although both cities are nearly the same in terms of foreign-born and diverse population) and Los Angeles (due to the massive immigration of Hispanics). It is kind of funny that only Londoners or Britains claim that London is the most diverse city in the world (which is a bit exaggerated because 70% is White European). Of course it is very multicultural, but not as much as NYC etc. Supposedly, there are over 300 languages spoken in London, in comparison, NYC has 170. They surely include every minor Indian dialect in this London stat.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,488 times
Default London v NYC Diversity

It is kind of funny that only Londoners or Britains claim that London is the most diverse city in the world (which is a bit exaggerated because 70% is White European). Of course it is very multicultural, but not as much as NYC etc. Supposedly, there are over 300 languages spoken in London, in comparison, NYC has 170. They surely include every minor Indian dialect in this London stat.[/quote]

Hey, I think I can help you on this one. I am a Londoner and I have just come back from a 4 month work-related stay in NYC. Please note that I am a foreigner in London myself and that I actually prefer NYC to London.

However, when it comes to diversity I can only confirm that NYC does not even come close to what London represents.

It is true that NYC might have a larger non-white population (therefore is less racially dominated by one group) but because of its geographical location, less stringent visa regime and membership in EU London gets people from many, many more areas.

In NYC it is pretty much about Mexicans, Puerto Ricans (who are actually US Citizens and who seem to have stopped coming some 20 years ago), Koreans and the Chinese, ppl from Russia / Ukraine and Haitians / Jamaicans. And then you have the proper Americans who admittedly are also a varied bunch but in the end speak the same language and share much more than, e.g., people from neighbouring European countries.

London gets people from everywhere and in much more even proportions which you can really feel while in the train / at your work place or in the street.

Moreover the immigration in London is so much more recent and fluid. So many people arrived in the last 10 years due to the (now past) economic boom and so many people come for a short period of time, for a year or two, just to be replaced by others.

The only ethnic / cultural group that is a bit missing are Latinos.
The bulk of them here are Brazilians. As for the rest I provide you a bit of overview below. But I stand by the fact that London is way, way more diverse than NYC. In London immigration is happening /exploding as we speak, in NYC it was 40-20 years ago....

Below is a small outline of where ppl in London mostly come from-

Africa (West mainly Nigeria, Ghana although a lot of people from French-speaking countries,
East - Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia,
South - Angola, RSA and Zimbabwe, mainly Whites)

the Caribbean (Jamaicans followed by the rest, similar to NYC)

Middle East (Kurds, all sort of Arabs and Berbers, all ethnicities of Iran and Afghanistan)

Eastern Europe (led by Poles, then a plethora of people from the remaining 12 new states and even more ethnic groups)

Western Europe (French, Italians from the South, Irish, Spaniards, Portuguese and professionals or people coming to study the language or hangout for a year just for adventure from other EU countries)

Indian Subcontinent (we are not talking about dialects but languages in their own right with their own scripts and independent histories longer than the one of English like Hindi-300m global speakers,
Punjabi-70m, Gujarati-50, Urdu-over 100m, Tamil-70?, Telugu-70?, Bangla-over 200m?. Please
note that these people look phisically different, I could tell one group from the other by their faces.

Australians and Kiwis (huge communities, not too many Pacific Islanders)

Asia - Hong Kong Chinese, Philipinnos, Language / University students from Japan, Korea or China / Taiwan

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

30,637 posts, read 29,653,968 times
For diverse East Asian cities, the pickings are slim compared to Europe or the Americas. You could possibly count some of the megacities like Shanghai and Jakarta if you consider diversity among different ethnicities from within the country (and with a relatively minuscule population from outside the country).

I guess the closest bets would probably be Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, both of which are similarly comprised of various Chinese, Malay, and Indian ethnicities along with expats from mostly the west and migrant labor from south and southeast Asian countries.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 AM

212 posts, read 364,323 times
Not for World's cities but quite interesting.

Race Maps of US Cities (66 pics)

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,933,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
yeah, Singaporeans are a mix of Chinese, Malay, Thai and Indian people. Additionally, 50% is of foreign origin and it has a significant number of White people too. (Americans, Australians, Europeans etc.)

Statistics say that Toronto is the most diverse city in the world, followed by New York City (although both cities are nearly the same in terms of foreign-born and diverse population) and Los Angeles (due to the massive immigration of Hispanics). It is kind of funny that only Londoners or Britains claim that London is the most diverse city in the world (which is a bit exaggerated because 70% is White European). Of course it is very multicultural, but not as much as NYC etc. Supposedly, there are over 300 languages spoken in London, in comparison, NYC has 170. They surely include every minor Indian dialect in this London stat.
look london is more diverse than NYC, fact. london has people from hundreds of countries living in the city. like a previous comment said there is lots of non-whites in NYC, and as you said there is lots of white europeans in london, so what are you saying? someone from the caribean is more 'diverse than someone from poland?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM

so, London is more ethnically and culturally diverse and NYC more racially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World