U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM

9,965 posts, read 15,632,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
AAAAARGGHHH!

Why don't you read the whole thread all of you?

The original point was that someone stated how US metropolises are so diverse while the European aren't, and then someone posts some ethnic census stats how only 50% of LA are of the national majority. My point was that the overwhelming majority or the minorities of LA are Hispanic, with some African-American and Chinese big minorities.
Meanwhile in cities like London, there's over 200 languages spoken, the absolute % of minorities might be smaller, but the diversity of the minorities are larger. Hell, I think even Helsinki with 615k people has some 140 languages spoken at home.
Of course I didn't read the whole bloody thread! Why would I?

Everywhere is diverse, who cares, it's not a competition... European cities have some diversity as does LA and I'm sure overall London has more diversity(and is bigger) but who gives a crap... You can take away the Mexican or other Hispanic minorties from LA and still there's a huge amount of diversity among the groups ranging from Cambodian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Armenian, Persian, Russian Jews, Israelis, Fillipinos, Ethiopians and so on that all have established ethnic enclaves. Mexicans aren't even considered a minority in Los Angeles at this point, they're basically the dominant ethnicity, just as Finns would still be the prevalant group in Helsinki.

You can claim 140 languages spoken in Helsinki, but probably about 130 of them are spoken by less than a thousand or even less than a few hundred people--and probably the biggest language by far after Finnish is going to be Swedish(though I'm just guessing).

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-21-2014 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 PM

22,256 posts, read 25,837,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
AAAAARGGHHH!

Why don't you read the whole thread all of you?

The original point was that someone stated how US metropolises are so diverse while the European aren't, and then someone posts some ethnic census stats how only 50% of LA are of the national majority. My point was that the overwhelming majority or the minorities of LA are Hispanic, with some African-American and Chinese big minorities.
Meanwhile in cities like London, there's over 200 languages spoken, the absolute % of minorities might be smaller, but the diversity of the minorities are larger. Hell, I think even Helsinki with 615k people has some 140 languages spoken at home.
Manchester has 200 languages, and there are an estimated 170 languages spoken in Leeds. But I only hear Polish, French, Arabic, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese frequently of those languages. Well, maybe more, but I don't know. I think Russian as well. These Slavic languages are all the same to me. Punjabi is the most widely spoken foreign language in Leeds, but I have no idea what it sounds like.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-21-2014 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,560,902 times
Most diverse is a tough one. I'd say London and New York City would be neck and neck both in terms of representing every ethnic group on the planet, and for doing so in terms of sheer numbers.

Most well integrated? I'm going to go with an outlier... Havana, Cuba. Race doesn't seem to be an issue at all for people there.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM

471 posts, read 515,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarky View Post
world travelers and urban enthusiasts, which cities across the globe can claim to be one of the most diverse and racially/ethnically integrated on earth?
nyc
miami
la
toronto

Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 16,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
A lot of large US cities are diverse. San Diego is also a pretty diverse place. I have met and befriended people from the following groups: Ethiopians, Eritreans, Filipino, Jordanians, Belgians, Bulgarian, Spanish, Cuban, Burmese, Russian, Pakistani, Puerto Rican, Argentine, Peruvian, Honduran, Salvadoran, Brazilian, Israeli, Lebanese, Turkish, and of course Mexicans.
San Diego also has large communities of Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians, Koreans, and Somalis. Many Viets, Cambodians, and Lao live in the City Heights area. There is even a charter school in San Diego that is taught in both Somali and English, and the neighborhood it is in has many Somalis.

There are many Iraqi and Lebanese people in the nearby community of El Cajon too.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM

9,781 posts, read 17,781,446 times
New York
London
Toronto
Sydney
Melbourne
Chicago
Los Angeles
Montreal
San Francisco
Washington DC
Paris

Old 06-21-2014, 02:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 3,099,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuPickles View Post
San Diego also has large communities of Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians, Koreans, and Somalis. Many Viets, Cambodians, and Lao live in the City Heights area. There is even a charter school in San Diego that is taught in both Somali and English, and the neighborhood it is in has many Somalis.

There are many Iraqi and Lebanese people in the nearby community of El Cajon too.
Yes, true. I work in El Cajon and most of my work buddies are now Iraqui. Very cool and misunderstood people.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:22 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,996,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Manchester has 200 languages, and there are an estimated 170 languages spoken in Leeds. But I only hear Polish, French, Arabic, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese frequently of those languages. Well, maybe more, but I don't know. I think Russian as well. These Slavic languages are all the same to me. Punjabi is the most widely spoken foreign language in Leeds, but I have no idea what it sounds like.
Their are more than 200 nationalities and 200 spoken languages in Brisbane as well, no one would consider the city diverse however.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM

135 posts, read 145,773 times
New York
Dallas
Houston
LA
SF
Philly
Chicago
Toronto
Vancouver
London
Sydney
Melbourne
Sao Paul
Paris

Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 AM

51 posts, read 48,535 times
New York
Vancouver
London
Dubai
LA
Toronto
Sydney
Amsterdam
Istanbul
San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World