U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM

905 posts, read 2,677,091 times

Advertisements

London and New York, I'd imagine. Maybe Paris, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM

257 posts, read 987,935 times
Marseilles, France

Old 08-23-2008, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 9,806 times
Default Toronto is the most diverse city in the world

the United nations has labelled Toronto the most ethinically diverse city in the world for the last 5 years. more than half he population are visible minorites and there are no urban ghettos.

Americans really should learn more about their neighbor next door.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,406,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyleaguer View Post
the United nations has labelled Toronto the most ethinically diverse city in the world for the last 5 years. more than half he population are visible minorites and there are no urban ghettos.

Americans really should learn more about their neighbor next door.
Why? Why do you think that the more visible minorites the better than less?

That is racism, although not a form of it you find wrong. The diversity of an area in no way makes it better. I'll bet you would call someone praising a city for being 90% white racist so doesn't it stand to reason that wanting few whites in a city is also racist?

You don't really have me convinced that America should learn about diversity from Canada. Oh, and Toronto does have some bad neighborhoods.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,563,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Why? Why do you think that the more visible minorites the better than less?

That is racism, although not a form of it you find wrong. The diversity of an area in no way makes it better. I'll bet you would call someone praising a city for being 90% white racist so doesn't it stand to reason that wanting few whites in a city is also racist?

You don't really have me convinced that America should learn about diversity from Canada. Oh, and Toronto does have some bad neighborhoods.
I think what ivyleaguer meant, which you may or may not have misinterpreted, is that considering the diversity socially/ racially/ ethnically/ economically and sheer size of Toronto, it is far more harmonious & integrated than most any other US city. And in that sense I agree with ivyleaguer in that many US cities can learn various aspects from the Toronto model. However, obviously US cities have different histories, more hostile racial relations, etc, however, Toronto is quite impressive in a certain regard- I was just there & taken aback by how civil & integrated people were, that was my perspective having lived in various big US cities.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 PM

725 posts, read 1,975,934 times
NYC (my home...lol), London, Montreal, Toronto, LA, Paris, Johannesburg, Rotterdam and Rio !!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:36 PM

34,139 posts, read 58,781,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stotan88 View Post
Toronto, ON, Canada. Hands down. Yu walk around downtown, and suddenly it often seems the white man is the minority. Such an interesting place, and fresh change. I love visiting that city
The white man is the minority in lots of places. Trust me.

I think the places with the most diversity are Los Angeles, The San Francisco Bay Area, New York, London, Toronto and Amsterdam.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,301,633 times
Well

New York, Toronto, Paris, London, Los Angeles, Sydney... and many other place.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,268,289 times
Toronto IMO is number 1 for most diverse city ....after that would be NYC
then London and Paris

Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM

51 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Toronto IMO is number 1 for most diverse city ....after that would be NYC
then London and Paris
It seems to be that what separates Toronto from the other diverse cities is the degree of social interaction between the different groups. I know here in NYC you there are many many different types that live here but socially it's still pretty darn segrated. We may work and commute together but it's still uncommon that we live and "hang out" together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World